How to get the Windows 10 October 2018 Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al-Faqir

Level 8
Verified
Jul 24, 2018
The average person wants stability and security. They will choose bug- and problem-free over the latest and greatest new-fangled feature every time. (I am not talking about gamers and technophiles... but the average person walking down the street who knows next to nothing about Windows or PCs or most any digital device for that matter). Why ? Because they don't want the headache. Reliability is always a more valuable commodity than the newest gizmo. It's a lesson that Microsoft has refused to listen to its customer base. The number of people who dislike Microsoft for all the problems their updates cause is a large number.

I am 100% sure that if in a way or another the new update fixes the sound issue I am having, I will face another issue which will spoil my life! 2 days ago I started to have my HDD automatically turned off after 5 seconds though I set the option of turn of hdd to never. The hdd keeps turning on and off randomly and I am afraid this might damage it on the long run. The most irritating part is I can't ditch Windows; Linux does not cover all the aspects unfortunately.

L

Local Host

I remember, that I always kept error reporting enabled, despite of what other people said. I sincerely believed, that MS will actually fix something. As years passed by, I sent over hundreds of reports for various reasons and aside from being bothered by it, MS never fixed anything and then there was Start. I used Windows 8 Alfa, Beta and even the latest RC version and to my surprise RTM came out without the Start. So much for MS listening to feedback. Ever since then I disable and block everything I can, there is no point in keeping it on. Windows Insider only confirms it, known bugs being ignored, just like notifications in 1809, they do not work, when background apps are disabled, that is not some little feature, but an essential (considering phones).
That is unrelated to the Update process, you talking feedback and feature requests.

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
only StartIsBack not working

Are you using 2.7.1? I wish I could tell myself, but have had tremendous issues with this update. The only good thing is that the Windows reversion to the previous build function works flawlessly (and is a shame that I had to see it work like 3 times so far...).

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Maybe I'll get this tomorrow... or whenever!

Edit: It appears many of those experiencing issues are related to certain 3rd party software.I have an image from a couple of months ago but I'm running another image just in case.

Last edited:

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
No problems here with StartIsBack ++2.7.1 released on the 20th of september.
Also I'm running the latest versions of Kaspersky Free 19.0.0.1088 (c) and Comodo Firewall 11.0.0.6710.
So maybe running the latest version of those programs prevent any issues?

F

ForgottenSeer 69673

Are you guys talking Windows 10 Insider Preview 18252.1000 (rs_prerelease)? That is what is downloading on mine right now.

Reactions: Weebarra
F

ForgottenSeer 69673

If you get annoyed by little things don't update. Cpu usage per application is broken and showing nonsense. Other than that i haven't noticed anything else.
The insidere build mtbot posted has this issue fixed. I am installing it now.

Reactions: Weebarra and shmu26

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
I am doing an in-place upgrade as well. Windows Update tries to keep the old registry and that always slows my computer down. For those who want to know how to do an in-place upgrade, here:
Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade

You will keep all of your files, settings, and programs. The only thing that is different is that your registry gets wiped out for a completely new one and your computer will feel like a clean install. So if you have registry tweaks you will have to reapply them. If you want to keep your tweaks in the future, I recommend using Group policy. Your policies stick no matter if you upgrade or downgrade or do anything sideways.

Al-Faqir

Level 8
Verified
Jul 24, 2018
I have downloaded the iso and it is 4684 Mb. That's weird it is larger than any other build that a 4.7GB DVD isn't enough.
win.PNG

Reactions: vtqhtr413

RoboMan

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Thanks! After update the app works without any issues!
Are you using 2.7.1? I wish I could tell myself, but have had tremendous issues with this update. The only good thing is that the Windows reversion to the previous build function works flawlessly (and is a shame that I had to see it work like 3 times so far...).
Just updated to the latest version and it's solved! :)
"Installed 15 minutes ago. No problems. All is well. Everything working fine here..."

LOL
Most serious issues after serious patches can be seen immediately after the first boot (talking by my experience and people here), like BSOD, black screen, antivirus not opening, random error screens, screen freeze. Minor bugs or problems can be seen after some days or weeks, according on the functions you use within time goes by. I assume the comment you mock about, which seems a bit like the one I posted, referrs to no serious encountered issues (aforementioned) after the first boot.
For example, if you search through the threads I posted you will be able to see how Windows patches broke my system a couple of times immediately after boot, such as start menu not working, not being able to access task manager, black screen when opening apps, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.