Troubleshoot How to install xp in 2015 and further...

Blitz

Thread author
Jan 27, 2015
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
performace
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
need a solution
Hi, I need some help. In company is some machines who still runs windows xp. I know is dying(or even dead) and old OS, but we have, what we have. I need a guide, or right way how to completely install windows. What is steps? Should I:
-Instal SP2(I have oem) and then install SP3?
-What windows software(net, framework, silver light, visual c++ and etc. etc.) and other software(flash player, codecs and etc. etc.) I need to install for best performance?
-How to correctly install drivers? Can I add it to install CD, or something?
-What is best av, or other security solutions for best performance and security?
-What software I need to install for office, browsing, some music, video, and etc. ?

Everything what i want is to save ram and cpu performance. I don't expect a miracle from 2007 year laptop, but how i said we have, what we have :)

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Well as always SP3 will be your maximum protection to provide by patches.

Usually install latest .NET framework so to avoid adding other older version which the software will run smoothly on those framework.

Same goes to C++ however some softwsre are bundled with framework to be install and run correctly.

Better go off with Virtualization program like Shadow Defender or Toolwiz Time Freeze.

CD or downloadable packages should match well by manual process through updating by using Device Manager. Check for those yellow warning.

If you have enough money then purchase the latest version of MS Office or go to alternatives like WPS Office. Then basic software like 7-Zip, Ccleaner, and VLC or Pot Player.

For Antivirus you may go from free ones (Panda, Avira, Avast or AVG) or paid version like Norton or Kaspersky.

However better go to 'WINDOWS 7 or 8/8.1/10 ' to achieve overall safe protection. But if its for home usage then XP may retain with proper precaution.

Upvote 0
L

LabZero

The installation of Windows XP on recent PC involves the presence of SATA drivers that usually are not included in the installation CD and can be added by following some guides.

If you do not have the SATA drivers the installation continues but when it is over, Windows XP is painfully slow.

Create Custom Windows XP CD with SATA Drivers

Upvote 0

Online_Sword

Level 12
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 23, 2015
For Antivirus you may go from free ones (Panda, Avira, Avast or AVG) or paid version like Norton or Kaspersky.

Avira might be a good opinion for windows XP now.
This is because, according to Avira Product Lifecycle , Avira will stop providing engine and signature updates to the products installed on XP in April next year.
I do not know the policies of other antivirus vendors on XP.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 178

Update all parts of the OS. Install a light AV and a good firewall. Xp firewall is very weak.

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.