Advice Request How to make my browsing fingerprint less unique?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Kongo

Level 35
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
Hey guys, since some time I'm looking for ways to make my Browser fingerprint less unique as a testsite always tells me that it's still unique after all, no matter what I've tried so far. Do you have any tips? I'd also appreciate to see your testresults.

My current extensions are: Adguard, Privacy Badger, SmartHTTPS, Decentraleyes and Canvas Blocker. (Google Chrome)

looking forward to your recommendations :)

Attachments

• Unbenannt.PNG
    Unbenannt.PNG
    72.9 KB · Views: 388

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
oldschool already said what I meant but as it can be disabled I might check Brave out again. After all I tried some other browsers like CCleaner Browsers and it also created a randomized fingerprint. But as Avast aquired CCleaner as far as I know that isn't a real option either. Gonna check out vivaldi and see how it does.
I don't think you should, it's the same browser as before. Stick to using Avast CCleaner and Google Chrome, great for your privacy and security. Privacy-browsers are pointless, when trying to lockdown a mainstream browser with 12 extensions.

Kubla

Level 8
Verified
Jan 22, 2017
Last edited:
Reactions: Kongo

Kongo

Level 35
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
I don't think you should, it's the same browser as before. Stick to using Avast CCleaner and Google Chrome, great for your privacy and security. Privacy-browsers are pointless, when trying to lockdown a mainstream browser with 12 extensions.
Didn't you say I should consider switching to a privacy based browser earlier, or did I get you wrong?

dabluez98

Level 3
Verified
Oct 2, 2018
You will know when it's working when you get greeted by Captchas, the site renders the wrong format, Spotify and streaming sites don't load and you can't buy anything or login to your banking account online. It's not worth the hassle. Privacy Possum is great at hiding fingerprints. So great, I uninstalled it because it's breaking too many sites that I need to navigate to and require fingerprinting for authentication. Spotify even sent me an email that they logged me out of everything because they didn't know who I was with Privacy Possum and VPN on (see pic). Google screams critical security alert on my Chromebook. Just beware 99% of the time, fingerprinting is used in your favor and by hiding it you don't become invisible, just more suspicious. It's like wearing a mask. Nobody knows who you are but now you stand out because you are the only one wearing a mask. lol

Spotify’s policy prohibits vpns. Extremely stupid. Hence why i dont use them anymore.

Reactions: Protomartyr
F

ForgottenSeer 85179

So you use a browser without any privacy based addons?
I use (Chromium-)Edge with AdGuard extension and only 2 lists (AdGuard Basis-Filter & Fanboy Anti-Facebook List) so i don't get annoying YouTube ads + i don't like Facebook. The Facebook list get deleted when Windows get native DoH or DoT support as i use NextDNS DoT in my router and i don't block Facebook (easily done with NextDNS) in my default NextDNS profile as my girlfriend use it rarely.
In AdGuard i also block tracking parameter in tarn mode so my URL's are more clean which doesn't increase my uniqueness anyway.

I also use Edge Strict tracking protection in my default Edge profile (i use 3 profiles) and add manually all EU_US_most_common_trackers to the "other" Edge list so these domains get blocked natively

monkeylove

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Mar 9, 2014
What did you mean with "issues with browser developer" ?
I don't has any web annoyances. Any examples ?

The first refers to browser developers collecting info on browser use. Here are some sample tweaks for about:config in Firefox:

Examples of the second include cookie, newsletter, floating video, and anti-adblock popups, popups asking users to use their Google account to login, etc.

Some I could remove by importing what I blocked manually from uBO, others I added more lists (not just Easylist Cookie and "I don't care about cookies" but even Admiral), and anti-adblocks I had to report to Adguard. You'll see several examples here:

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

The first refers to browser developers collecting info on browser use. Here are some sample tweaks for about:config in Firefox:
Changing browser config doesn't change anything if the browser want telemetry data but if the browser doesn't respect user settings in UI, it's not very trustworthy. Normal telemetry isn't also bad.
Edge even respect configured Windows privacy settings and "copy" these to browser settings which doesn't any other browser provide.

Examples of the second include cookie, newsletter, floating video, and anti-adblock popups, popups asking users to use their Google account to login, etc.

Some I could remove by importing what I blocked manually from uBO, others I added more lists (not just Easylist Cookie and "I don't care about cookies" but even Admiral), and anti-adblocks I had to report to Adguard. You'll see several examples here:

Cookie banner are mostly needed as these (if implemented correctly) are Opt-In's or (if wrong implemented) Opt-Out's. Both are need user confirmation and get saved in Cookies so you only get a problem with such if you clean often Cookies which just doesn't make sense. (blocking 3th party Cookies is still recommend!)

Newsletter aren't a problem. Just don't register your mail if you don't want it. Or use random/ fake Email accounts for that.

I never see any floating video annoyances. Examples?

Anti-Adblock popups are gone if you doesn't block Ads ;)
Sites are need money or your data. If you doesn't allow any, they of course display such and personally i find that legit.

Websites can also determine which stuff get blocked

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.