Guide | How To How to make useful posts helping users to decide on which security products to use

The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
Thread author
May 3, 2011
How to make useful posts helping users to decide on which security products to use:

I have seen this many times on this forum and other security forums as well.
A member makes a post asking for suggestions on which security products to use.

Then the fanboys attack, offering useless advice to the member.

I'm talikng about one word replies like Kaspersky, Eset or Qihoo 360.
Those posts are completely useless and doesn't help members at all.

Other replies may contain links to AV sponsored magazines websites or AV testing sites which most of us know do not conduct accurate results.

Then even other posts point to malware sample pack testing using only on-demand scanning of samples which are not verified to even be in the wild or may not even contain actual malware. Remember each AV vendor has different standards in detecting what is malware, just because one vendor detects a threat doesn't mean it is actually a threat.

To make a helpful reply you need to include examples of your own experiences or if you have customers, their experiences.

1. Why do you believe that product the best? give examples.

2. Don't sound like a fanboy, give several options for the member to decide.
Example; Avira, Avast and AVG are good options.

3. Find out more about the members actions, do they use caution when downloading files? Use UAC? keep their system and software updated? before suggesting a paid product, find out if the members can afford to buy.

4. Find out which version of Windows they are using.

Think before you post, just because you love a product and it works good for you doesn't mean it will do the same for all other members.

For new members seeking advice:- ignore one word fanboy posts because they will not help you. Fanboys are easy to spot they usually hang around the topics of selected security products, they usually will only suggest their favorite products and all other products are junk according to them. They will try to defend the favorite products when any member has negative feedback. They will post test results, links to websites and AV testing sites indicating that their favorite product is the best instead of trying to give personal experiences.

According to the rules of the forums-

2. Your post should be meaningful and without excessive formatting.

+ Use a title that describes the content of your post. Don't use all caps or special characters to draw attention.
+ Don't post just to increase your number of posts. Avoid short sentences or single word posts. If you have nothing relevant to say on a certain matter then don't post.
+ Do not bother making posts with only one or two words (e.g., "cool" or LOL) or a smile, or post simply to have the first reply in a thread. Such posts waste everyone's time and will be deleted. Posts saying "I agree", "+1", "this", "me too", or the equivalent are also routinely removed, so don't post them. If you aren't interested in a thread, skip the thread; don't post to tell us you aren't interested.
+ Excessive text formatting (bold, caps, font size) is not allowed. Use text formatting to highlight short passages only.

So I will be making it a point to start deleting these posts with only one or two words. I can't believe some members will make these single word useless posts and receive 10 or more "Likes".

Please add your commits to improve the quality of posts on MalwareTips.
Let's make MalwareTips a better place!!

Enjoy!! :D

Cowpipe

Level 16
Verified
Well-known
Jun 16, 2014
I personally always try to include at least an explanation of why a particular AV might suit someone better given their circumstances and needs but I would not rely on anything but my own experiences to make a recommendation.

I too hate those one word fanboy kind of posts followed up by 'justification' which consists of things like "because it detect 100%" ? What? Completely useless and constantly frustrates me. Thanks for this guide LittleBits, I hope it will help to cut down a lot on those useless posts.

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
just because one vendor detects a threat doesn't mean it is actually a threat.

Amen!

To make a helpful reply you need to include examples of your own experiences or if you have customers, their experiences.

1. Why do you believe that product the best? give examples.

Right on.

I have seen this many times on this forum and other security forums as well.
A member makes a post asking for suggestions on which security products to use.

Then the fanboys attack, offering useless advice to the member.

I'm talikng about one word replies like Kaspersky, Eset or Qihoo 360.
Those posts are completely useless and doesn't help members at all.

Let me say as somebody who solicits a lot of advice on programs : I'd much rather it come with explanation, elaboration. But to me, people giving the name of the program they favor is better than no response. I have in mind the recent example of where I asked about the best alternative to Adobe as a PDF reader. When I see a sort of tally of votes, in effect, on something like this it means something useful to me. Maybe it would be good to encourage more posting of polls on Malware Tips threads, so the people who aren't going to take the time to articulate the case for a specific product will vote at the post instead of posting comments.

Reactions: Littlebits and marg

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
Some of my previous post are terse. I'll elaborate more next time.

3. Find out more about the members actions, do they use caution when downloading files? Use UAC? keep their system and software updated? before suggesting a paid product, find out if the members can afford to buy.

+1 on this, been using lots of FREE AVs which I think is sufficient enough on a given situation.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
Thread author
May 3, 2011
I personally always try to include at least an explanation of why a particular AV might suit someone better given their circumstances and needs but I would not rely on anything but my own experiences to make a recommendation.

I too hate those one word fanboy kind of posts followed up by 'justification' which consists of things like "because it detect 100%" ? What? Completely useless and constantly frustrates me. Thanks for this guide LittleBits, I hope it will help to cut down a lot on those useless posts.
Unfortunately this has become a major problem on our forums, I visited the forums the other day and seen several useless fanboy posts back to back with only a few words not including anything helpful receiving many "Likes" by other fanboys.

We will have to continue to work on this problem, I would hate to be a new member who visits a security forum for advice and get these useless replies which would just confuse me even more. Most of these new members are just starting off and they need simple advice with easy solutions nothing that is complicated that requires tweaking or manual configurations to allow trusted programs.

I believe our members can do better than this, they just need to be guided the right direction sometimes.

Chromatinfish 123

Level 21
Verified
May 26, 2014
Unfortunately this has become a major problem on our forums, I visited the forums the other day and seen several useless fanboy posts back to back with only a few words not including anything helpful receiving many "Likes" by other fanboys.

We will have to continue to work on this problem, I would hate to be a new member who visits a security forum for advice and get these useless replies which would just confuse me even more. Most of these new members are just starting off and they need simple advice with easy solutions nothing that is complicated that requires tweaking or manual configurations to allow trusted programs.

I believe our members can do better than this, they just need to be guided the right direction sometimes.

Also to add, when a New Member is introduced, read their level like Basic, Medium, or Advanced and give instructions based on that level:
For example:

(Basic)Q: I want to configure my copy of Avast Premier to the maximum settings
A: Sure! Go to the settings panel of Avast and set the heuristic detection to high, then go to Active Protection, click on Settings, and set mail shield to aggressive, then set the file shield to aggressive

(Advanced)Q: I want to configure my copy of Avast Premier to the maximum settings
A: Just set heuristic and mail to high/aggressive and enable detection of PUPs. All can be found in settings.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
You can't really escape this. There will always be fanboys out there. I admit I do like Trend over other products, but do find myself giving other products ago and seeing how they perform compared to Trend. There was one stage I was using Avast for a while.

Best way to know what product you want to know about is well, give it a test for yourself. I've done video reviews on this a year and a half ago. Yes it might be hard for "simple new users" to get advice as they might have no idea how to install/test and just generally use a product and compare it, so your right about giving personally experiences, and finding out what they do on their machine/system.

Reactions: Littlebits
D

Deleted member 21043

I've just read this on MT (I know, I'm very late... :oops:), but if I have ever done that on the forums to someone asking what product is better, and not giving a explanation of some sort to back up why I said that product/vendor, I am sorry - however I do not recall doing that.

Thanks! :)

D

Deleted member 178

what people have to know is that each real system are different, i remember a guy using the same security soft than me , on the same OS , without much differences than mine.

he got a conflict and BSOD where mine ran very well , so if it can happen in a real system , imagine the differences it may have on a VM or totally different system.

it is why members have to take all advices from us with grain of salt , and try the product first before buying; it is why trial time are made for.

Malware1

Level 76
Sep 28, 2011
Another person saying samples in my packs are clean or inactive in the wild... do you really want me to stop posting?!

Malware1

Level 76
Sep 28, 2011
I don't see the relation with the thread :D
Then even other posts point to malware sample pack testing using only on-demand scanning of samples which are not verified to even be in the wild or may not even contain actual malware. Remember each AV vendor has different standards in detecting what is malware, just because one vendor detects a threat doesn't mean it is actually a threat.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.