Guide | How To How to make useful posts helping users to decide on which security products to use

The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
I agree 100%. At the moment I'm currently using Kaspersky 2015; but I duly note that it has it's weak points just like any other AV, whether it be free or paid. It's great to get advice/help from other members and different opinions as it can help others decide what products (if any) to use.

Last edited:
Reactions: Littlebits

guardone

Jan 15, 2013
It is important to go to the source file of the toolkit so as to be sure to get a copy which has not been altered. EG Malware bytes comes from the .org so the the full link should be given. Many reports of c net downloads being corrupted with more malware.

It is important to go to the source file of the toolkit so as to be sure to get a copy which has not been altered. EG Malware bytes comes from the .org so the the full link should be given. Many reports of c net downloads being corrupted with more malware.
I use malware bytes a lot. in past you could use it occasionally just to scan a file or a fiolder, now the free version wil only do a complete scan, and I cannot set it to just specific items. If you have an earlier version, which you can configure, take a copy so the auto update does not change it for the worse, When updating the database, I managed to stop it just before it updated to the latest version, so believe I have a recent virus list, but the original malware bytes programme.

Last edited by a moderator:

Saucecat

Jan 15, 2016
Hi, I joined this site just a week ago when I got nasty malware on windows 10.. I couldn't get approved in time for my messages to post and ended up getting ahold of dell that sent me some stuff.. Now the problem. I just bought this new(refurbished) laptop 12-1-15.. I had the free upgrade to windows 10, I got infected, I found you and ran all the steps in a forum I found, except one that wouldn't allow me to run it for windows 10.. YAY, it worked.. then like a moron I tried to watch some other tv show and got infected again! So I went back and started to rerun and it got out of sequence or my 3 year old did something and wammo.. no computer. So now I got the disc from dell and a bunch of basic drivers reinstalled. However, the dell guy said they've had a lot of complaints about windows 10 etc etc and didn't recommend I do the free upgrade to windows 10 and stay on Windows profess 7. Ok, so I'm trying to figure out now and have looked at forums and not really seeing my issue. I basically have a not yet set up computer, with no security, and barely anything on it, Where do I start from here? Do you experts agree I should stick with windows 7? and if so, what do I need to download to protect from virus,malware etc... and why. I was warned about sites advertising this that then infect your computer but I told him that I was pretty sure your site was a legit place that people are trying to be helpful. I am fairly computer adept, but I'm not a techie so some of these explanations or comments are above my head. I also have seen something recently in regards to charter cable internet and changing something on the DNS settings that will help it run faster. I have a huge problem with Charter and I think it's actually out at the junction box etc.... Anyway, I don't have any back up yet.. I also need to know the least expensive way to solve that. I will probably eventually get an external drive. I have btw 3 or 4 hard drives that I blew up the computers too and the same problem, they weren't backed up properly and if I were back in my hometown I'd have people that would have extracted the pictures/documents I needed for free, but now I live in asheville NC and I don't know any computer people here, and when I've enquired they want a ridiculous amount of money to fix this problem. Also I haven't looked yet, but can anyone recomend a good beginner's site to how the heck I understand the stupid cloud thingy and can fix or get junk off my cloud storage for a mini ipad? I have too many devices I can't figure out how to use! I only bought this laptop because I crashed the last one, my friend sent me a google chromebook and I can't figure out how to get it to do barely anything, etc... Thanks in advance for all the useful advice. I can't even figure out how to search a topic on your site very well. So I appologize if I did this incorrectly, and I'm asking a bunch of stuff... I just need some help, and I don't have time to do 800 searchs on sites I may not trust. I'm way behind on paperwork I need to submit like 2 weeks ago. If there is a tutorial for a new startup of win prof 7 and which software I should have, and where to get it that's great, if you think I should upgrade to windows 10 and then add the malware software etc I had before that's awesome too. I love this thread beginning and appreciate the thoughtfulness of the creator, and all the work you guys do to help some of us non-techies out here just trying to get by.

Saucecat

Jan 15, 2016
I had a very wise cat named Umbra!
Hi, I joined this site just a week ago when I got nasty malware on windows 10.. I couldn't get approved in time for my messages to post and ended up getting ahold of dell that sent me some stuff.. Now the problem. I just bought this new(refurbished) laptop 12-1-15.. I had the free upgrade to windows 10, I got infected, I found you and ran all the steps in a forum I found, except one that wouldn't allow me to run it for windows 10.. YAY, it worked.. then like a moron I tried to watch some other tv show and got infected again! So I went back and started to rerun and it got out of sequence or my 3 year old did something and wammo.. no computer. So now I got the disc from dell and a bunch of basic drivers reinstalled. However, the dell guy said they've had a lot of complaints about windows 10 etc etc and didn't recommend I do the free upgrade to windows 10 and stay on Windows profess 7. Ok, so I'm trying to figure out now and have looked at forums and not really seeing my issue. I basically have a not yet set up computer, with no security, and barely anything on it, Where do I start from here? Do you experts agree I should stick with windows 7? and if so, what do I need to download to protect from virus,malware etc... and why. I was warned about sites advertising this that then infect your computer but I told him that I was pretty sure your site was a legit place that people are trying to be helpful. I am fairly computer adept, but I'm not a techie so some of these explanations or comments are above my head. I also have seen something recently in regards to charter cable internet and changing something on the DNS settings that will help it run faster. I have a huge problem with Charter and I think it's actually out at the junction box etc.... Anyway, I don't have any back up yet.. I also need to know the least expensive way to solve that. I will probably eventually get an external drive. I have btw 3 or 4 hard drives that I blew up the computers too and the same problem, they weren't backed up properly and if I were back in my hometown I'd have people that would have extracted the pictures/documents I needed for free, but now I live in asheville NC and I don't know any computer people here, and when I've enquired they want a ridiculous amount of money to fix this problem. Also I haven't looked yet, but can anyone recomend a good beginner's site to how the heck I understand the stupid cloud thingy and can fix or get junk off my cloud storage for a mini ipad? I have too many devices I can't figure out how to use! I only bought this laptop because I crashed the last one, my friend sent me a google chromebook and I can't figure out how to get it to do barely anything, etc... Thanks in advance for all the useful advice. I can't even figure out how to search a topic on your site very well. So I appologize if I did this incorrectly, and I'm asking a bunch of stuff... I just need some help, and I don't have time to do 800 searchs on sites I may not trust. I'm way behind on paperwork I need to submit like 2 weeks ago. If there is a tutorial for a new startup of win prof 7 and which software I should have, and where to get it that's great, if you think I should upgrade to windows 10 and then add the malware software etc I had before that's awesome too. I love this thread beginning and appreciate the thoughtfulness of the creator, and all the work you guys do to help some of us non-techies out here just trying to get by.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.