How to remove advertising alongside my Yahoo email account

Status
Not open for further replies.

sweets

Thread author
Verified
Jun 25, 2013
Is there a safe and effective way to eliminate the advertising (not popups) that load when I open my Yahoo email account?
Ive noticed the page and features loads slowly and it takes a long time before I can open and reply to an email. If I try to quickly to open the email it wont load properly. Im forced to wait until the page loads fully before I can read & reply.
Ive been cleared of malware. Im using a dialup connection with Netzero and wish to remain that way. Internet Explorer 8

HP Pavilion a535w
Operating System System Model
Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 3 (build 2600)
Install Language: English (United States)
System Locale: English (United States)
Installed: 3/26/2013 9:30:19 AM HP Pavilion 061 DW217A-ABA A535W 0nB1211RE101KELUT10
Enclosure Type: Desktop
Processor a Main Circuit Board b
2.20 gigahertz AMD Athlon XP
128 kilobyte primary memory cache
512 kilobyte secondary memory cache
Not hyper-threaded Board: ASUSTek Computer INC. Kelut 2.02
Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, LTD 3.03 02/09/2004
Drives Memory Modules c,d
80.01 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
64.81 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

ASUS CD-S480/AH [Optical drive]
HP DVD Writer 300c [Optical drive]
3.5" format removeable media [Floppy drive]

Generic USB CF Reader USB Device [Hard drive] -- drive 2
Generic USB MS Reader USB Device [Hard drive] -- drive 4
Generic USB SD Reader USB Device [Hard drive] -- drive 1
Generic USB SM Reader USB Device [Hard drive] -- drive 3
ST380011A [Hard drive] (80.03 GB) -- drive 0, s/n 5JV860HJ, rev 3.08, SMART Status: Healthy 448 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory

Slot 'A0' has 512 MB
Slot 'A1' is Empty
Local Drive Volumes

c: (NTFS on drive 0) * 75.22 GB 64.14 GB free
d: (FAT32 on drive 0) 4.78 GB 677 MB free

* Operating System is installed on c:

Network Drives
None discovered

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Hello,

IE8 is an Old and Dated web browser.

I would have suggested an alternate 'modern' browser, but may be heavy on the bandwidth for updates considering you only have a dial-up connection. So ignore the strikeout text below.

'Modern' browser such as Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox. They allow for better extensions that remove unwanted advertisings from many websites without dragging the performance of the browser itself. (Notice how IE becomes slower with more toolbars and extensions?)

Since IE9, Tracking Protection Lists were introduced which allowed Ad Block lists to work to prevent Ads. However, IE9 and newer are not available for the Windows XP platform, unless you upgrade to Windows 7 or higher.

You could try Simple-AdBlock but the Free has it's limitations.
http://simple-adblock.com/
Free, Limitations: http://simple-adblock.com/products/

sweets

Thread author
Verified
Jun 25, 2013
Earth said:
Hello,

IE8 is an Old and Dated web browser.

I would have suggested an alternate 'modern' browser, but may be heavy on the bandwidth for updates considering you only have a dial-up connection. So ignore the strikeout text below.

'Modern' browser such as Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox. They allow for better extensions that remove unwanted advertisings from many websites without dragging the performance of the browser itself. (Notice how IE becomes slower with more toolbars and extensions?)

Since IE9, Tracking Protection Lists were introduced which allowed Ad Block lists to work to prevent Ads. However, IE9 and newer are not available for the Windows XP platform, unless you upgrade to Windows 7 or higher.

You could try Simple-AdBlock but the Free has it's limitations.
http://simple-adblock.com/
Free, Limitations: http://simple-adblock.com/products/

Reply:
Thak you!
Is it the advertising thats slowing Yahoo from loading or the fact that Im still using Internet Explorer 8 ?
Is AdBlock a small or large download?
The past couple of years it has become very difficult for us dialup dinosaurs to function in the hi speed world. The updates for everything are huge, and so are the apps and utilities. Antivirus updates take forever and slow my computer. I have to find ways to get what I need from other sources like from friends with hi speed setups to run on CD or smaller downloads for programs I require. I tend to avoid Microsoft updates too. Right now I need to replace Norton 10 anti virus with a smaller quicker a-v program. Any suggestions? I need to know the steps to fully remove Norton that was installed on this system originally from my computer as well.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I haven't used IE8 and Yahoo Mail combination in many years, so I can't comment for certain, but I do think it could be that Y! Mail may be slowing you down. Is there no 'Lite' or 'Slow connection' mode for Y!Mail? Or disable loading images from IE Options?

Simple-AdBlock is a small download, v1.1.5 is 1.27MB (.msi)

There is AdBlock Plus (popularly known as ABP for Firefox and Chrome) in Preview/Dev stages and is unstable/buggy. It's about 2.60 MB (.msi)
We have a thread here:
http://malwaretips.com/Thread-Adblock-Plus-Preview-for-IE-is-available-for-download

If you wish, we could download the latest version and upload a compressed (either .zip or .7z) version, save you a few seconds to minutes. :)

sweets

Thread author
Verified
Jun 25, 2013
Yes I know there's a Lite or Classic version of Y mail, but I want to be able to utilize Y Messenger so I have to load the full version.

I was hoping to use a free not a trial version of the ad block utility. Do you know of any that work and are safe? Thanks for the idea of compressing a zip version for me.

I saw a free download for Ad Block-Plus a 383 Kb download from Softonic Downloader just by Googling free ad block for I E 8 for Windows XP. Have you reviewed this ?

I guess I'll have to ask in a different part of the forum about anti-virus security.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Apart from what Earth said with those plugins, I don't think there would be any other way. :-/

sweets

Thread author
Verified
Jun 25, 2013
I googled for a free advertising blocking utility for IE 8 and Windows XP. Ad Block Plus came up as a free download and it was very small. I use a dialup connection.
Any reviews of this product?
Thanks

sweets

Thread author
Verified
Jun 25, 2013
sweets said:
I googled for a free advertising blocking utility for IE 8 and Windows XP. Ad Block Plus came up as a free download and it was very small. I use a dialup connection.
Any reviews of this product?
Thanks

MalwareVirus

Level 1
Oct 6, 2012
Maybe hostsman work for you.
http://blog.malwarebytes.org/intelligence/2012/10/pick-a-download-part-2/

Note :Creat a back up of your host file.

sweets

Thread author
Verified
Jun 25, 2013
MalwareVirus said:
Maybe hostsman work for you.
http://blog.malwarebytes.org/intelligence/2012/10/pick-a-download-part-2/

Note :Creat a back up of your host file.

My reply:
HAS ANYONE TRIED IT?

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.