Troubleshoot How to remove optional updates from my PC?

ItsReallyMe

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Dec 21, 2017
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
Windows do not sleep anymore
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
restarted
Optional updates i installed does not show on installed updates so its not possible to uninstall it.
Today i installed this optional update named Intel software component 6.5.1.371 which i think is the XTU driver for Intel extreme tuning utility driver , windows do not sleep anymore
I have no restore points.

Last edited by a moderator:

ItsReallyMe

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Dec 21, 2017
You should be able to roll back to the previous driver from Device Manager.

You should be able to roll back to the previous driver from Device Manager.
I already removed Intel extreme tuning utility like 1 month ago so it does not show on the device manager, but windows still installed that update.

Upvote 0

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Same thing, only I had removed XTU several months ago, plus had cleanly installed Windows afterward so there were no remnants. Still got this non-"update" every time I looked for general updates and it looked irritating but didn't interfere w/ anything else.

Since it never installed, I was able to apply wushowhide to it. Now, it's over in "optional updates" where it can rot for all I care. Are you an Insider? Do you have "optional telemetry" enabled in Settings?

Maybe you had remnants, like the folder, startup entry and registry keys. I submitted feedback to Microsoft because clearly this is an error in telemetry reporting for a software that is no longer even compatible (on here). So, I would try looking for XTU remnants and carefully delete them manually. If that works out, you can apply the wushowhide from MajorGeeks (Microsoft doesn't seem to offer this anymore) to get it out of Windows Updates.

intel software component.PNG

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.