Guide | How To How to Repair Corrupted and Damaged System files in Windows 7 and Vista

The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.

ismethere

Level 8
Verified
May 9, 2014
at least do this, sfc /verifyonly if so,...followed SFC /SCANNOW and press enter. (Admins privilege).
if persist.. you should do Updates/upgrade all windows files without formatting system..i will provide how to later.
might be my experience helped you a lot, usually happens on windows 7 ultimate.

Sandra Olsen

Jun 1, 2014
I'm a newbie here having issues with Windows, ie uninstall programs doesn't work, firewall doesn't turn on and off, when I click on IE it attempts to load and says it isn't responding then the program shuts down (I've tried to download IE which fails because it says I already have a newer version installed, can't uninstall IE, so I'm stuck there).

I'll be going through the above suggestions to see if anything helps, but I'm afraid I might need to reinstall Windows. It came preloaded on my laptop and I'll have to look long and hard to see if I have any disks =)

ismethere

Level 8
Verified
May 9, 2014
I'm a newbie here having issues with Windows, ie uninstall programs doesn't work, firewall doesn't turn on and off, when I click on IE it attempts to load and says it isn't responding then the program shuts down (I've tried to download IE which fails because it says I already have a newer version installed, can't uninstall IE, so I'm stuck there).

I'll be going through the above suggestions to see if anything helps, but I'm afraid I might need to reinstall Windows. It came preloaded on my laptop and I'll have to look long and hard to see if I have any disks =)
Me too newbie you know x2
Hello, Sandra nice to talk with you, May I suggest you try do as follows, see Image...if you can't Unisntall IE..one of the way
is seems to Re-Install your windows, however if this happens you can do update/repaired windows by Updates/Upgrade Option (without Loosing /Formatting System).
let we see what the result after you applied this command on Programs & Feature of windows control Panel, Kindly let me know..
in what windows edition you're on now? eg Windows 7, 8, 8.1 or other lower edition...hopefuly will help you alot. PS:ON LapTop?
(Acer, Sony. etc) or Desktop?

Windows Control Panel
image.png

Click Turn Windows Features, Uncheck Internet Rxplorer then Click OK..IF you're Success
windows will re-configuring Just waiting till the proccess Ends then check your IE.

cppf.png

kwkids

Jul 12, 2014
I have a file that is corrupt some how and the scan does not fix it. Is there a way to fix the file? This is what shows up when you try to open the PowerPoint program. (PowerPoint can't open the type of file represented by C:\Users\*******\Desktop\2013-2014 Yearbook.ppt.) **** are the name taken out. It was working fine and then I has a few pictures shoe up with "x". I tried to save and it wouldn't and then I couldn't open.
I performed the sfc scan and it did not repair it. Any ideas for the new one here? I have tried 1 outside repair program and it doesn't recognize the file. There do not seem to be any tmp files that I can find either.

Aura

Level 20
Verified
Jul 29, 2014
You should add an essential point in that tutorial : once the SFC /scannow scan is done, if files have been repaired by the scan, you HAVE to restart your computer in order to apply these repairs to the system files.

Also, would be good to precise that this command CAN be run in the Recovery PE (Recovery Mode/Console), but the syntax will be slightly different, it will be :

sfc /scannow /offbootdir=X:\ /offwindir=X:\windows

Where X: is your Windows partition in the Recovery PE.

Reactions: Tony Cole

SimpleTx

Dec 3, 2016
Need Help Plz . I ran sfc /scannow and it said Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of the them. C:\windows\Logs\CBS\CBS\.log I'm a newbie at this can someone plz give suggestions? Would kindly appreciate it thanking you in advance:D
CMD 1.png

Reactions: krish143

Andytay70

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2015
if you're using windows 8 or 10 try using " Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth "
(Without the quotes) if sfc/scannow finds errors.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.