Troubleshoot How to Reset BIOS?

Oxygen

Level 44
Thread author
Verified
Feb 23, 2014
I managed to download the wrong BIOS update for my computer and somehow It managed to change the screen to acer from gateway how do I restore the previous version?

The weird thing is that is what the correct download, but it isn't.

D

Deleted member 21043

Does your PC still boot into Windows and just show the Acer screen instead of Gateway, or does it just hang, restart in a loop or not work at all due to the wrong update?

Upvote 0

Oxygen

Level 44
Thread author
Verified
Feb 23, 2014
Does your PC still boot into Windows and just show the Acer screen instead of Gateway, or does it just hang, restart in a loop or not work at all due to the wrong update?

It shows a acer screen when it first loads up and then boots into windows.... The acer screen I want removed because it is a incorrect screen I need gateway back.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 21043

It shows a acer screen when it first loads up and then boots into windows.... The acer screen I want removed because it is a incorrect screen I need gateway back.
Okay. As long as it is functioning correctly (booting into Windows) which is the point in the BIOS (Basic inut and output, then load the OS from HDD) I think it should be okay to just leave it as Acer, but if you want Gateway back the only way to do that is to re-install the BIOS for your PC.

Reactions: Oxygen
Upvote 0

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Fantasy, although I don't have a fix handy, what I can share is that Gateway, eMachines, & Acer, are all either owned or are partnered with Acer. This would annoy me too,:mad: and even though I'm on an Acer now, I wouldn't mind if they gave us all an option for no brand name screens.
I do hope it works out for you though, Bro.:)

Upvote 0

Oxygen

Level 44
Thread author
Verified
Feb 23, 2014
Okay. As long as it is functioning correctly (booting into Windows) which is the point in the BIOS (Basic inut and output, then load the OS from HDD) I think it should be okay to just leave it as Acer, but if you want Gateway back the only way to do that is to re-install the BIOS for your PC.
It is working fine, but once you get used to that same old gateway screen you will want to go back... I miss it already.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 21043

Could you please tell me your PC model etc. I can try and find you the correct* BIOS update, and give you the instructions on installing it for you :)

Upvote 0

Oxygen

Level 44
Thread author
Verified
Feb 23, 2014
Could you please tell me your PC model etc. I can try and find you the correct* BIOS update, and give you the instructions on installing it for you :)

When I went to gateway's website there was only 2 updates on there.

Upvote 0

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
It couldn't hurt.:)
When I went to gateway's website there was only 2 updates on there.
Nice new background, Fantasy. ..isn't that the Gateway screen off in the distance?:):D I'm just kidding... ;)

Upvote 0

Cowpipe

Level 16
Verified
Well-known
Jun 16, 2014
Since the logo is a distinct part of the BIOS, separate from the loader code, you could in theory patch it manually, so you have the updated BIOS with the old graphic. Never done it myself and it's probably not worth the effort, so my advice would be to second what @cruelsister has said above, if you really want the old logo back, flashing to the previous BIOS version is pretty much the best option ;)

Upvote 0

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
I went to the Gateway site and was surprised that they didn't have much choice in BIOS versions. So this is what I suggest:

1). when you flashed to the new version, almost all flash utilities either back up the previous BIOS version automatically or at least ask to do so. If a backup copy was created (and you saved it) it can be restored by directly flashing to it.

2). Contact Gateway support, tell them that the most recent BIOS bricked your box, and you need access to the previous BIOS version (and you not only want it but YOU WANT IT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!).

3). In most BIOS there is an option to disable the splash screen. This won't get Gateway back, but will dump the Acer logo.

And it would REALLY HELP if you would give the model number of the machine.

Upvote 0

Cowpipe

Level 16
Verified
Well-known
Jun 16, 2014
Some BIOS store the logo as a bitmap, some have it embedded. If it's a bitmap you can replace the logo with one of the same size, and filename (obviously have a way to backup and restore first!), if it's embedded as a resource, you might have to dig in a bit deeper to replace it, which is more work and riskier of course (more chance you might muck it up)

Reactions: Wave
Upvote 0

Oxygen

Level 44
Thread author
Verified
Feb 23, 2014
I went to the Gateway site and was surprised that they didn't have much choice in BIOS versions. So this is what I suggest:

1). when you flashed to the new version, almost all flash utilities either back up the previous BIOS version automatically or at least ask to do so. If a backup copy was created (and you saved it) it can be restored by directly flashing to it.

2). Contact Gateway support, tell them that the most recent BIOS bricked your box, and you need access to the previous BIOS version (and you not only want it but YOU WANT IT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!).

3). In most BIOS there is an option to disable the splash screen. This won't get Gateway back, but will dump the Acer logo.

And it would REALLY HELP if you would give the model number of the machine.
They don't seem to have my number registered on the site anymore. I don't know if it was a site error or what.

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.