Guide | How To How to schedule Windows Defender definitions update

The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.

KaptainBug

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Dec 26, 2013
Problem: You can easily schedule Windows Defender to update the definitions through task manager, but it opens an annoying command prompt every time it runs the task.

Solution: This tutorial is on, how to automatically update Windows Defender definitions every 2 hours without the annoying command prompt popping up. The following method, I did not find anywhere in the internet, so this might be helpful for anyone using Windows Defender.

1. Open task manager and click Create task.

2. By default, the task is created under user name. Change this to SYSTEM by clicking 'Change User or Group'.
dTIimr6.png

3. In the following dialog box, type SYSTEM under object name and click 'Check Names' and then OK.
Soq8oAO.png

4. Remaining things are self explanatory.
vdJQ9j7.png

5. Type this command in Actions - "C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MpCmdRun.exe" -SignatureUpdate
uydyd6z.png

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Thank you, Kaptain! I shall follow your instructions after I awaken from a full night's recovery sleep.:) Too bad we couldn't schedule ourselves to update every 2 hours, in order to feel rested.:cool: Oh, wait.., that's what retirment is supposed to be!:D

Reactions: KaptainBug

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.