Advice Request How to secure Gmail app on Redmi Note 9

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
As things are now, anyone who knows the pattern to unlock my phone can also access the Gmail app. That includes too many family members.
My old Redmi allowed locking specific apps with a pin, but I don't see that option on Note 9.
How can I protect my Gmail account? If I disconnect my Google account, it deletes all the synced contacts and content.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Which version of MIUI / Android are you running?

Research into the Pros and Cons, but Multiple user profiles may be beneficial. It may be called Second Space on MIUI.

Missing Features to MIUI 12 for Redmi Note9 users:

mkoundo

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Jul 21, 2017
with applock enabled, go back into settings > apps > applock, tap the gear in the top right corner. In the subsequent menu, there's an option to change password type (pattern, pin password) and also to turn on fingerprint unlock.

Screenshot.jpg

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
with applock enabled, go back into settings > apps > applock, tap the gear in the top right corner. In the subsequent menu, there's an option to change password type (pattern, pin password) and also to turn on fingerprint unlock.

View attachment 256785
Admittedly, this should be the solution!
But there seems to be some kind of a bug, or maybe I am doing something wrong.
In this window that you screenshotted, I disabled "Show pattern", and enabled the fingerprint and face options. But for some reason, the pattern is still shown for the Gmail app, and it opens the app. I rebooted, and then tried a second time, and this unwanted behavior is consistent.
Maybe I need to complain on the MIUI forum?

Reactions: Venustus

mkoundo

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Jul 21, 2017
try going back into change password type and enabling pin. On my device (miui global 12.0.3) it asks you for a pin + (fingerprint or face if set) when you attempt to open an applocked app. The pin replaces the pattern and the show pattern option in settings disappears.

Last edited:

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
try going back into change password type and enabling pin. On my device (miui global 12.0.3) it asks you for a pin + (fingerprint or face if set) when you attempt to open an applocked app. The pin replaces the pattern and the show pattern option in settings disappears.
I changed the password type, but it keeps reverting to like it was before. I have Kaspersky installed on the phone. It keeps prompting me for password and locking me out for 10 minutes. It think it is preventing the change from taking place. I will probably have to uninstall Kaspersky. :(

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.