How to set up a security system WITHOUT using AV/AM software?

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
When using Sandboxie, you have to set the default browser to IE, Chrome or FF. Then SBIE will auto-detect and create a desktop sandboxed browser launch shortcut.

Ok, I can give a try again.

Thanks

H

hjlbx

Just curious, what is the intention to make a sig-less security solution. By far, after reading this whole thread, you seemed to be pretty desperate for that (thats what I felt) to the point I'm suspecting why "anti-AV/AM". :rolleyes:

He knows that anti-virus is much less capable of protecting system than default-deny. :D

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Sandboxie is only worthwhile if you use paid version. At $50 lifetime license for up to 3 installs on separate systems it is a very good deal.

If you want fully functional sandbox for free, then the only option available is COMODO - and I don't recommend that for you right now. It requires at least intermediate IT knowledge and it has a lot of unexpected behaviors that you will not understand. Plus, the settings\configuration will be a bear wrestling match.
what about comodo firewall with the hips and autosandbox turned off? why would that be such a bear?
the user would get a good firewall and good sandboxing for browsers.

EDIT: admittedly, software combos would be much trickier with comodo installed...

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
what about comodo firewall with the hips and autosandbox turned off? why would that be such a bear?

Trust me, you wouldn't want to even "smell" Comodo as a beginner. It'll grant you access to "hell-mode" in "lockdown-mode" :rolleyes::rolleyes:

If you read some thread on how to properly configure Comodo, you'll be sweating like hell just to see so many steps to do in order to have a very good lockdown mode.

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Just curious, what is the intention to make a sig-less security solution. By far, after reading this whole thread, you seemed to be pretty desperate for that (thats what I felt) to the point I'm suspecting why "anti-AV/AM". :rolleyes:

Nothing. No desperation here. Just want to try another way of protecting my system and to compare which is better like less software needed, less (or no) definition/signature updates required, ease of use, their efficacy etc.

Like I said if after moving to a sig-less system and I find it's still inadequate I would complement it with those from AV/AM software.

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
During installation , it uses default browser (the one you selected as such) , but after you can use 10 browsers with it if you want.

You mean the free version or paid version?

H

hjlbx

Talking about COMODO. I gave up on it too. I tried installing them before on my Windows 10 Pro MS SP3 but they failed to install. This is a known problem even at COMODO's forums.

Finally, I think I found the solution in one of the net's forums. I'll need a fresh-install OS and immediately install COMODO's products. After that then proceed to install other software. And each time when I screwed up my system and re-formatted it COMODO just did not come to my mind then.

Yah, I did read about its complexity and weird behavior as well. Now, I'm aiming for Emsisoft AM 12 as I already have Xvirus Personal Firewall (free) installed. Simple Allow/Deny firewall which stealth ALL my ports that even my previous Privatefirewall can't.

LOL... you are beating yourself up pretty good. Trying softs is the best way to learn. After you do it long enough - like myself, @Umbra, others here at MT - you realize that there are few really good solutions.

After a long, long time trying just about everything - I settled on only a couple of softs that work for me personally on all my systems. I've tried them all - and each one has its quirks, bugs, vulnerabilities, unexpected behaviors, usability bad points, usability good points, etc.

The most important things to consider:
  • Does it work without problem on my specific system ?
  • Do I know how it works and can I figure it out to operate it and fix problems ?
  • Does it cause compatibility issues with other softs ?
These should be your primary selection criteria. If you select softs from the default-deny list, then you can't find much better solutions unless you go to Enterprise (and big bucks).

Notice security\protection is not on the list. If a soft does not meet the above basic requirements, then its pointless to even consider how well it will protect your system. If it doesn't work on your specific system or causes problems or you can't figure out how to operate it and fix problems, then it (the soft) is useless...

H

hjlbx

EDIT: admittedly, software combos would be much trickier with comodo installed...

He already tried and had the famous, massive COMODO install fail...

He wants auto-sandbox.

COMODO is not a good soft to start out with - even with modules disabled.

H

hjlbx

IF you want the least problem-prone, high-security - then software restriction policy is the best option. Compared to AV, internet security suites, complicated combos, etc - SRP will give you few troubles. Of course there will be bugs here and there - as there will always be bugs, but SRP is the biggest bang for the buck.

SRP is the bedrock of a secure config. After you master it, then you can build upon it by adding as few or as many additional security softs - but I recommend keeping it simple.

That's my experience and the reason I use AppGuard. I'm sure others here will agree. What's your thoughts on this @Umbra ?

H

hjlbx

I know many people have the initial inclination and goal of crafting an anti-NSA security config, but experience for the vast majority of us has proven that it is best to take a measured, step-by-step approach.

Immediately comboing 3, 4 or more softs together that one has never used before, doesn't know how they work or operate them, is just not a good idea. Often one quickly wearies and abandons the whole affair...

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
LOL... you are beating yourself up pretty good. Trying softs is the best way to learn. After you do it long enough - like myself, @Umbra, others here at MT - you realize that there are few really good solutions.

After a long, long time trying just about everything - I settled on only a couple of softs that work for me personally on all my systems. I've tried them all - and each one has its quirks, bugs, vulnerabilities, unexpected behaviors, usability bad points, usability good points, etc.

The most important things to consider:
  • Does it work without problem on my specific system ?
  • Do I know how it works and can I figure it out to operate it and fix problems ?
  • Does it cause compatibility issues with other softs ?
These should be your primary selection criteria. If you select softs from the default-deny list, then you can't find much better solutions unless you go to Enterprise (and big bucks).

Notice security\protection is not on the list. If a soft does not meet the above basic requirements, then its pointless to even consider how well it will protect your system. If it doesn't work on your specific system or causes problems or you can't figure out how to operate it and fix problems, then it (the soft) is useless...

Thanks for the advises. You are right. To me compatibility comes first. Others can wait.

H

hjlbx

Cap2.PNG

Cap1.PNG

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
you need a security config that doesn't interfere with productivity, and doesn't get in your face all the time with confusing pop-ups. Otherwise you will either dump your software, or learn to deliberately bypass its security features.

H

hjlbx

you need a security config that doesn't interfere with productivity

A mis-configured security config\security soft settings that result in too many alerts is the problem.

If properly configured, default-deny has almost no alerts; when something is not quite right - then you get alert.

Learning how to get the settings right is all up-front time - after that it is boring.

Reactions: _CyberGhosT_

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.