How to set up a security system WITHOUT using AV/AM software?

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
I'm not here to dispute or please great minds. I'm here to find answers to my needs.

Like I mentioned if suggestions (great for you) but don't meet my requirements in the opening post then I'll not accept them because my needs are different from yours.

A newie here does not mean his new everywhere. It's just that I joined the MT forums yesterday. Do not underestimate all newies. Remember this.

Thanks for your postings and if I did not accept your suggestions (and by others) most probably they don't meet my needs. No hard feelings and I do hope you can accept this.

Continuous improvement is one of my strong traits.
I don't use the term noob or newbie, never have on this site, I prefer novice as its less offensive to newer members,
my post was only my " opinion " you can do with it as you wish brother ;)
I don't assume anything about anyone here, I let their posts and how they carry themselves on these
forums shape my opinion, I have been around the block a few times at mt age, underestimate you ? hardly :rolleyes:
I hope you find your answers and benefit from the class acts that call MT home. Good luck

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Digital Signature = Zero (you can copy the Digital Signature from the header of the file by using assembly). I can do it an example if someone really wants.

Another cool type of attack is when someone uses some type of DNS-Spoofing to deliver a fake update.
which security softs are able to tell the difference between a real sig and a copied one?
alternatively, how can the user tell the difference?

Reactions: _CyberGhosT_

Dirk41

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 17, 2016
Probably you need a degree to know by yourself ( without any sw) how to set group policy and permissions to write the registry

Reactions: _CyberGhosT_

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Probably you need a degree to know by yourself ( without any sw) how to set group policy and permissions to write the registry
what I mean is: let's say Voodooshield or NoVirusThanks tells you that the file is signed by so and so. How easy is it to fool the software in this regard?

Reactions: AtlBo and Dirk41

Dirk41

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 17, 2016
what I mean is: let's say Voodooshield or NoVirusThanks tells you that the file is signed by so and so. How easy is it to fool the software in this regard?

Sorry I was responding to the creator of the thread , sorry for the misunderstanding , my fault .

Anyway , as someone wrote before , the best thing is to check SHA256

Reactions: shmu26

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Local Standard Account
Unchecky

Unused Local Admin Account with Password
Windows Firewall, Smartscreen and UAC on Default

Rollback software of choice

Reactions: ZeroDay and Dirk41

Dirk41

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 17, 2016
Another useful thing would be to know well how to use netstat. It could help against backdoors.

I am looking for a guide , I read backdoors could use legit app/ service but different port.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Sorry I was responding to the creator of the thread , sorry for the misunderstanding , my fault .

Anyway , as someone wrote before , the best thing is to check SHA256
do security softs check SHA256?
how do they determine if the file is signed?

Dirk41

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 17, 2016
I don't know . Your can check SHA256 by uploading a file on VT or other websites

chrcoluk

Level 1
Verified
Aug 6, 2015
Why not start from setting up safe surfing behaviour? Once u got that, you don't need any security software literally.

Practically, you're asking a software where pratically I believe >95% doesnt fulfill your criteria.

so malware doesnt distribute by...

email
torrents
usb devices
phones
chat applications

its all just web browsers?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.