Guide | How To How to Tell If A Website Is Dangerous

The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Great guide. One that I use all the time is WOT and the Trend Micro safety reading. Another great guide, Chiron. :)

malbky

Level 1
Jun 23, 2011
I use linkscanner. Thanks Chiron. IF i dont have linkscanner I manually scan pages using URL VOID and if detection is 3+ i know its dangerous.

V

Vextor

Good guide. But why does Chrome always tell me that the page has 'insecure content'?

Chiron

Level 1
Thread author
Feb 24, 2011
bbbbweb said:
Good guide. But why does Chrome always tell me that the page has 'insecure content'?

Do you mean Google Chrome?
Did you change any settings? If so what changes did you make?

V

Vextor

Chiron said:
bbbbweb said:

Do you mean Google Chrome?
Did you change any settings? If so what changes did you make?

Yup, and no changes to settings.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
bbbbweb said:
no changes to settings.
It's not your fault,I also get the same warning... and the reason is that the webmaster didn't properly configure the website to be SSL ready..... (Eg : some links still point to the http (http://www.techsupportalert.com/files/images/icons/trans.gif) )
Anyway....

How to tell if a website is Dangerous.......

1. Install WOT ... I know it has some FP's however it also has behind a very active community and will give the 'Red' warning hours before the traditional site advisors will actually start scanning a site.
2. Look for signs that the site is compromised.... Intrusive ads,unwanted pop-ups or requests to load Java and install other programs should make you very suspicious...
3. And yes, for the geekiest of us, we can upload it to different site for scanning.... Not sure a lot of regular users will actually take the time to do this and most likely this site are only used for researches purposes but nevertheless if you have the time and patience ..do it! :)

How to avoid getting infected by a possible compromised website!?

1. Use a layered security configuration.
2. Browse the Web in a virtual environment (Eg: Sandboxie or BufferZone)
3. Use Google Chrome, I know that Firefox uses their Safe Browsing app. however they have a lot of other technologies that can detect a site that has been hacked or a file that could harm your system.
3. Uninstall Java if you don't need it and have some common sense..... Think 3 times before clicking the RUN button!!!

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Good guide, definitely WOT does not let down for being my primary siteadvisor since everything were accurate on the ratings as possible.

Chiron

Level 1
Thread author
Feb 24, 2011
Jack said:
How to avoid getting infected by a possible compromised website!?

1. Use a layered security configuration.
2. Browse the Web in a virtual environment (Eg: Sandboxie or BufferZone)
3. Use Google Chrome, I know that Firefox uses their Safe Browsing app. however they have a lot of other technologies that can detect a site that has been hacked or a file that could harm your system.
3. Uninstall Java if you don't need it and have some common sense..... Think 3 times before clicking the RUN button!!!
Hmm... I think a lot of this sounds familiar.

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011
I think in general you should be wary of giving your card information to any site that you do not trust completely, even if your connection to the site is encrypted with SSL and the site uses a valid certificate. I mean all the certificate can do is reassure me that I am "talking" with a certain company or person, but it can't tell me if that company or person is trustworthy. Good thing I am poor and I don't have to worry about this :)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.