How to to stop browser fingerprinting and tracking?

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I assume it turns green if you totally block canvas fingerprinting, right? Wouldn't that in turn make you just as identifiable?
Because with CanvasDefender that fingerprint on the page changes every 5 minutes, as it should.

Edit: The second one changes and that seems to be an issue. Where does the page get the first one? A cookie?
Blocking it block the execution of the page.
The purpose of using CanvasDefender is to give a CONSISTENT fake fingerprint read out. If the fingerprint is hidden/randomized then itself is a fingerprint

Last edited:

Yellowing

Level 5
Verified
Jun 7, 2018
@HarborFront Why would you want a consistent (I assume: never-changing) fake fingerprint? It's just as good a fingerprint to identify and link data together (with you), as your normal one would be. :notworthy:
It is randomized every 5 minutes together with a new user-agent. Do you think that is trackable?! :unsure::emoji_grimacing:

If I want a consistent fingerprint I would just use ScriptSafe, because that is what it can do perfectly fine.:giggle:

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
@HarborFront Why would you want a consistent (I assume: never-changing) fake fingerprint? It's just as good a fingerprint to identify and link data together (with you), as your normal one would be. :notworthy:
It is randomized every 5 minutes together with a new user-agent. Do you think that is trackable?! :unsure::emoji_grimacing:

If I want a consistent fingerprint I would just use ScriptSafe, because that is what it can do perfectly fine.:giggle:
It's already explained in the link in post #21

Yellowing

Level 5
Verified
Jun 7, 2018
Oooh, "during a session". :notworthy::X3: :ROFLMAO:

@HarborFront How do I know how long a session is? Reloading the page does not give you a new session ID. What defines a "session"?
Although: I found that a different Forum-page tells me that my session-id changes everytime my user-agent changes.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Oooh, "during a session". :notworthy::X3::ROFLMAO:

@HarborFront How do I know how long a session is? Reloading the page does not give you a new session ID. What defines a "session"?
Although: I found that a different Forum-page tells me that my session-id changes everytime my user-agent changes.

You have a test page which can show that changing the user agent shows the corresponding canvas fingerprint to change? Browserleaks.com cannot do it.

Last edited:

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Reloading the page does not give you a new session ID.
That depends on the browser and settings. When I hit the reload, it refreshes the cache, other browsers use Shitf+F5 or Ctrl+F5.

Attachments

• capture_07082018_170015.jpg
    capture_07082018_170015.jpg
    243.4 KB · Views: 701

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
That depends on the browser and settings. When I hit the reload, it refreshes the cache, other browsers use Shitf+F5 or Ctrl+F5.
Yes, with browserleaks.com that's right. When you opan a new page in browserleaks it also changes
Yes, with browserleaks.com that's right. When you open a new page in browserleaks.com it also changes

Yellowing

Level 5
Verified
Jun 7, 2018
So the session-id (I'm not talking about the fingerprint) gets changed when the cache refreshes. Nice to know. :) I have to press shift+F5.
Would it make sense to get an extension that clears cache also every 5 minutes?

zzz00m

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jun 10, 2017
You can also use uMatrix to clear your browser cache every "x" minutes.

dJim

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Mar 12, 2016
the only functional way its using any script block and in change u got alot of webs blocked bcs they need yes or yes java active.. it the price of pay to better privacy " if at least we got inbound for our dates.. "

Kubla

Level 8
Verified
Jan 22, 2017
Perhaps a better approach rather than trying to mask or change your fingerprint that stills gives you a unique fingerprint, would be to blend in with the crowd.

Use something like the Brave browser where everything is built in and there are few settings and customization to differentiate you from another Brave browser user , the Tor browser would also work in this respect.

And on getting new session ID, would using something like the Strict Site Isolation in Chrome or Brave browser where each tab will load in a dedicated process give you a new session ID per tab?

Edit: Anyone try this app to protect against fingerprinting? Multilogin

Last edited:
Reactions: TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Perhaps a better approach rather than trying to mask or change your fingerprint that stills gives you a unique fingerprint, would be to blend in with the crowd.
Yes, some basic privacy is recommended, but no too much. Lets face it, ISP, governments and online companies spy on people, but all monitoring is handled automatically. It is the suspicious activity, which triggers interest and causes real people to take a closer look. Who is more visible here? :X3:

Attachments

• man-hiding-crowd-2512815.jpg
    man-hiding-crowd-2512815.jpg
    258.5 KB · Views: 664

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Privacy possum or webAPI wont pass fingerprint test on browserleaks for me.

Tunnelbear is only one that works.

Its that powerful i cant use flash client at all, even i disable tunnelbear completely. Any alternatives?

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
WebAPI Manager, Tunnelbear Blocker, Scriptsafe or Defender used with Canvas Defender or Blocker should work fine. Passed the fingerprint test for me on Browserleaks.

~LDogg

Reactions: Terry Ganzi

RejZoR

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
Anyone knows how to obfuscate Opera fingerprints, if it's even possible?

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
@RejZoR do you mean canvas or User Agent fingerprints? If any or both use the following below:

Canvas Fingerprint "obfuscation": Canvas Blocker (chrome) or CanvasDefender(Firefox)
User Agent Fingerprint: Random User-Agent (Chrome & Firefox)

~LDogg

Reactions: Moonhorse

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Yes, some basic privacy is recommended, but no too much. Lets face it, ISP, governments and online companies spy on people, but all monitoring is handled automatically. It is the suspicious activity, which triggers interest and causes real people to take a closer look. Who is more visible here? :X3:

+1 on that! (y)

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
WebAPI Manager, Tunnelbear Blocker, Scriptsafe or Defender used with Canvas Defender or Blocker should work fine. Passed the fingerprint test for me on Browserleaks.

~LDogg
do you recommend using scriptsafe as default ( block) mode and just allowing every site you visit/want to visit manually?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.