Guide | How To How to Torrent Safely and Legally

The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.

SpartacusSystem

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Aug 6, 2015
Source: How to Torrent Safely and Legally

Torrenting is usually associated with copyright infringement. Online pirates use torrents to illegally download movies, video games, music, software, and much more. Even before Netflix banned the use of VPNs to watch movies and TV shows, many resorted to torrents to pirate video. But as authorities crack down on torrent trackers and users, demand for free alternatives has risen.

The underlying BitTorrent technology is not illegal. In fact, many perfectly legal reasons to torrent exist, and the internet holds quite a few bastions for legal downloaders to find movies in the public domain, freeware, and indie video games, to name a few.

Dozens of websites are dedicated to legal torrent downloads. Some are limited in scope, while others have a bit of everything. We’ll start with some recommendations for the latter.

GENERAL CONTENT SITES
Archive.org

The Internet Archive is a non-profit online library of books, movies, software, music, websites, and more. It contains millions of files, most of which can now be torrented. The content is either part of the public domain, user-generated by the community, or licensed under creative commons.

The books and audio sections really stand out here, as they include audiobooks. You can also find some cool oddball sections for things like old-time radio programs and microfilm.

Legit Torrents

Legit Torrents states, “Our goal is to be the biggest and best legal torrent tracker.” Users can search torrents and filter by category and status (i.e. if there are peers seeding the file on the network or not). The tracker aggregates everything, but it’s especially good for software.

If you know exactly what you’re looking for, Legit Torrents is a great option. The results return few duplicates, which makes finding files much less of a hassle. It lacks any sort of browsing or trending options, so go with keywords in hand.

TV AND MOVIES
Public Domain Torrents

Fans of classic TV shows and movies will drool over Public Domain Torrents. The site focuses on films old enough to be in the public domain (usually 50+ years old) as well as B-movies. It currently boasts just under 1,000 films.

The site doesn’t look like much, but it’s fun to browse through the lists of films categorized by genre. The site unfortunately lacks a search function, but you can easily click the “SHOW ALL” link and find what you want by using Ctrl+F.

Vodo

Connoisseurs of independent films and TV series will find a lot to love in Vodo, a site that brings together creators from all over the world to distribute their content. Users can either download videos via torrent or stream them for free. A few books and games are also available, but the focus is really on video.

Vodo periodically releases special event bundles, which are time-limited, curated, and themed packs of content. To take full advantage of the site, registration is required.

MUSIC
Panda.cd

Panda.cd is a torrent tracker featuring free music with a Creative Commons and/or artist permission. Registration is required.

Tracks are tagged by genre, and previews are available before downloading. Musicians are free to upload their own music to Panda.cd and distribute it through the site.

Etree

Etree primarily features live concert recordings of free trade musicians. It’s great if you want to hear what a local band sounds like in person before buying tickets to the show, especially if they aren’t big enough to be on Spotify or iTunes yet.

One nice touch is that you can choose to hide Grateful Dead and Phish recordings from search results, which there are a lot of. A lot.

GAMES
GameUpdates.org

GameUpdates aggregates patches, mods, and updates for thousands of video games. Whenever you purchase a game, you’re entitled to have the most updated version (DLCs notwithstanding). However, finding official patches can be a pain, especially for older games. Others have unofficial patches and mods to improve games that haven’t been sanctioned by the developer but are 100% legal.

Unfortunately, we couldn’t find any dedicated torrent sites for full games that are still being maintained. Let us know in the comments if you know of one!

SOFTWARE
LinuxTracker

If you’re looking to download a free operating system, LinuxTracker is the place to do it. Operating systems, as you might have guessed, are made up of huge files. That makes them ideal to download via BitTorrent.

LinuxTracker lists almost every version of every Linux distro you want for both personal computers and servers.

OpenOffice

Want to be able to view and edit Microsoft Office files from programs like Word, Excel, and Powerpoint but don’t want to shell out the cash for an official license? OpenOfficeallows you to do just that without uploading and converting files to Google Drive, and it’s absolutely free.

OpenOffice applications don’t have all the bells and whistles of MS Office, but they get the job done for the occasional user. The software can be downloaded via torrent straight from the official website.

Burnbit

Burnbit isn’t a website to search for torrents. Instead, it’s a site to create torrents from URLs. If you have a download link for something you would rather torrent than download in your browser, Burnbit allows you to do so. It locates all the “mirror” websites that host the desired file and turns them into “webseeds” while also finding any seeders on the BitTorrent network.

Burnbit is a handy tool for large file downloads like video games, software, and HD video. Unlike browser-based downloads, torrents don’t have to be restarted from scratch if your computer falls asleep or gets disconnected during a long download.

PRECAUTIONS
Even if your torrenting activities are legal, they might not appear that way to your internet service provider. An ISP might just see peer-to-peer torrent traffic and simply assume you’re doing something illegal. Their reaction could be anything from an angry email to throttling your P2P network bandwidth.

The BitTorrent protocol also exposes your IP address to other users on the network, which can lead to privacy issues.

For these reasons, we still recommend legal torrenters use a VPN service. A VPN encrypts all of your internet traffic before it leaves the device, then routes it through a server in a location of your choosing. This effectively hides the content and destination of your network traffic, masks your IP, and should prevent an ISP from throttling traffic.

Make sure to choose a reputable VPN that allows P2P traffic.

COURTESY
Torrents, whether legal or illegal, are made possible by people who contribute some of their computer resources to seed files that others download. As a general rule, it’s common courtesy to seed as much as you leech. This is called the “1:1 rule”, and it helps keep the ecosystem of torrents going.

Seeding is especially important for legal torrents, which often don’t have as many seeders as popular copyrighted material. Please do your best to seed 1:1 and possibly more, if you can.

Last edited by a moderator:

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Interesting article Spartacus...
I don't torrent these days, but when I was younger I would torrent software, movies, music, you name it I had most likely torrented it in the past.
I got quite good at finding the best, and cleanest, once I found a place that was reliable I tended to not deviate from that source. As the risk got
higher and higher I started to torrent less and less, and I have a conscience so it was easy for me to stop, using security concerns as an excuse :)
Even legal torrenting today holds no interest for me.
Great thread Spartacus.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
I use qBittorent with IP Filtering and enabled Anonymous Mode.
Back in the day I used qbtttorrent and Peerblock together, it was an awesome combo, I dont even think peerblock is around anymore,
but it was one awesome software to accompany a torrent client.

King Alpha

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 21, 2013
Back in the day I used qbtttorrent and Peerblock together, it was an awesome combo, I dont even think peerblock is around anymore,
but it was one awesome software to accompany a torrent client.
Me too. I used that combo in 2014. :) It's sad that PeerBlock is abandoned now. What a great tool it was.

JHomes

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2016
There's a lot of independent films that can't find a distributor so they rely on P2P file sharing to get their message across.

Major thing is to back up your system. Call me a paranoid nut job like my Wife does, but I don't want to download something without running a backup first. I'm not talking a disk image (because man, could you imagine the insanity that would be running a disk imager any time you want to download!) I use Rollback Rx but there's a ton of alternatives out there!

If you do that you're pretty well protected from potential trojans and the like.

NekoHr

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Feb 5, 2016
You almost cannot to not use torrents. Think about OS (Linux distributions), programs (Libreoffice), game updates (League of legends, world of tanks, World of warcraft...) backups (Bittorrent sync) and finally think about Windows 10 updates.

Torrents are no problem, it is protocol like any other and can be used for good or bad but that doesn't make protocol bad. Think about this TCP/IP is used for ~100% of illegal things on Internet, wouldn't it be good to just ban its use?

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011

SpartacusSystem

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Aug 6, 2015
I swapped out Peerblock for a VPN that allows P2P. Not only I use torrents but I'm also a big fan of the Acestream technology too.

Reactions: Logethica

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.