Troubleshoot How to use memtest86

D

Deleted member 65228

It seems to be paid software, I am not sure if anyone else here will be using it. I went to the Download page within a VM and it enforces payment before I can download.

Reactions: Weebarra and danb
Upvote 0

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
It seems to be paid software, I am not sure if anyone else here will be using it. I went to the Download page within a VM and it enforces payment before I can download.
There is free version as well.

Screenshot_1.png

Upvote 0

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
I prefer MemTest Download - it found errors within minutes, while memtest86 reported everything OK after several hours scan.
It can be run from within Windows, but you have to run one instance for each 2GB of RAM, a limitation of free version. Still worth it.

Upvote 0

danb

From VoodooShield
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
Can anyone help me about memtest86
Memtest86 is an amazing program... I have been using it the last 15+ years, and it has helped fix a lot of computers, here is a quick and dirty tutorial.

1. Create the Memtest86 CD or USB drive and boot to it.
2. If the computer will not boot at all, remove one stick of RAM at a time until it boots. This alone should tell you if you have a bad stick of RAM.
3. Once you get the machine to boot to Memtest86, the software will all run automatically and perform 8 or so tests, and when it is finished, it will say "Pass: 1", instead of "Pass: 0" (mid right of the screen). If there are errors, you will see the errors listed below in the blank space. Anyway, the idea is to get memtest86 to run and pass a test... and you basically swap out your memory modules to try to isolate which one is bad.
4. If the computer still does not boot, it might be a bad power supply or motherboard.

BTW, it can take a while to run all 8 tests... up to an hour, possibly more, depending on how much memory you have, but it is worth it.

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.