How would one get passed voodoo shield?

ExoGen CyberSecurity

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Sep 17, 2016
I have never tested VS but when i hear words like:100% impenetrable,no chance etc. i just begin to smile :) I remember a young guy from my country TinKode just a kid,Red October attack,Lenovo laptops with preinstalled spyware ...if someone wants to steal data from your computer even you do not know with all antivirus in the world .

Comodo said the same, and after almost two years they fixed the CRC32 Exploit and many more.

PS: Don't write with Bold, it burns my eyes :)

Reactions: DardiM

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I have never tested VS but when i hear words like:100% impenetrable,no chance etc. i just begin to smile
100% is a tall claim, but if we are talking about a home user on a clean machine (crapware removed), and the user is level-headed, and he keeps his OS and software updated, then with the proper security softs he can get close enough. And if he is still paranoid, he can go and tell his mental health therapist all about those potential exploits.

adyblueboy

Level 2
Verified
Feb 15, 2014
And Kaspersky,Bitdefender etc found solutions on many exploites and vulnerabilities but still nobody is perfect.

PS:Sorry for your eyes :) just adjust screen video settings better :cool:

L

Lucent Warrior

And if he is still paranoid, he can go and tell his mental health therapist all about those potential exploits.

Exactly....

I have been testing VS for many weeks now "sometimes several times a day" and have executed some really nasty samples from various locations of the system, disabled browser protection and slammed home many URL's, i have yet to infect the test system with VS. If i can do this with this product, chances are a home user will be quite fine unless of course they respond incorrectly as pointed out many times in this thread, which the Vendor can do nothing about, that would be on the user.

As for the OP, try turning it off ;) :p :D

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
I've tried VoodooShield, but never truly understood these type(s) of software - is AppGuard similar, or safer?

adyblueboy

Level 2
Verified
Feb 15, 2014
You seem to have found the perfect security product :)I was paranoid some years ago and with good reasons but not anymore :) The idea that you are feel complete secure behind of any software is most dangerouse then threat itself.I don`t want to fight with nobody...it`s just my opinion.

L

Lucent Warrior

I've tried VoodooShield, but never truly understood these type(s) of software - is AppGuard similar, or safer?
Voodooshield is a anti-executable
Appguard is Policy Restriction

Appguard: more suited for advanced users.
Reason: Rules need to be entered manually, product does not quarantine /remove files, user will need to use other means to do so.

Voodooshield: Better suited for novices to intermediate.
Reason:The product will quarantine and remove files, provides more detailed information of the file for better choices.

Video Review - Appguard vs Voodooshield

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Voodooshield is a anti-executable
Appguard is Policy Restriction

Appguard: more suited for advanced users.
Reason: Rules need to be entered manually, product does not quarantine /remove files, user will need to use other means to do so.

Voodooshield: Better suited for novices to intermediate.
Reason:The product will quarantine and remove files, provides more detailed information of the file for better choices.

Video Review - Appguard vs Voodooshield
and allow me to add that appguard is kind of expensive...

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
You seem to have found the perfect security product :)I was paranoid some years ago and with good reasons but not anymore :) The idea that you are feel complete secure behind of any software is most dangerouse then threat itself.I don`t want to fight with nobody...it`s just my opinion.
I personally do not rely on voodooshield alone, or on any other one software. but mainly because I am worried about me making the mistake. So I want a second chance.

the feeling of security is only because of user awareness, not in place of user awareness.

askmark

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 31, 2016
I doubt this has anything to do with the issue since if you check back at the screenshot he posted earlier it was the service process which crashed, which won't be based in a managed language (like .NET), but more likely a more lower-level language like C/C++. :)

VoodoShield uses the .NET Framework for it's GUI (I believe). Feel free to correct me on anything if I am wrong.
Well the reason I suggested looking at .NET was this part of the error text:

Problem Event Name: CLR20r3

CLR is the "Common Language Runtime" of the .NET Framework.

Seemed like a good place to start ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Wave and DardiM
W

Wave

Well the reason I suggested looking at .NET was this part of the error text:

Problem Event Name: CLR20r3

CLR is the "Common Language Runtime" of the .NET Framework.

Seemed like a good place to start ;)
If it's the CLR (Common Language Runtime) then yes, it's a .NET issue. He most likely just installed the incorrect version of .NET Framework for the software, causing it to crash at start-up before the actual code is executed.

The CLR (Common Language Runtime) actually works like a Virtual Machine (the same sense with Java and how it works with a virtual machine - as in, the assembly is built up of byte-code and this byte-code becomes translated by the "Virtual Machine" to execute the CPU instructions). :)

This is why .NET software is more easily reverse engineered, since it still contains lots of useful human-readable information, which isn't stripped out at "compile" time like with native C/C++ programs - it isn't compiled the same way, it turns into MSIL (byte-code) which the CLR (VM) will translate for the CPU instructions via the JIT (Just In Time) compiler. Therefore, if you remove protections such as deobfuscation, you can use disassembly to convert the MSIL (byte-code) back to human-readable source code in the chosen .NET language (which is accurate pseudo-code at the least).

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.