Technology HP sued (again) for blocking third-party ink from printers, accused of monopoly

silversurfer

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
HP has used its "Dynamic Security" firmware updates to "create a monopoly" of replacement printer ink cartridges, a lawsuit filed against the company on January 5 claims. The lawsuit, which is seeking class-action certification, represents yet another form of litigation against HP for bricking printers when they try to use ink that doesn't bear an HP logo.

The lawsuit (PDF), which was filed in US District Court in the Northern District of Illinois, names 11 plaintiffs and seeks an injunction against HP requiring the company to disable its printer firmware updates from preventing the use of non-HP branded ink. The lawsuit also seeks monetary damages greater than $5,000,000 and a trial by jury.

Dave Russo

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 26, 2014
I used to get a alert when I used e-bay cartridges in my HP printer,but I was still able to use them,now I have used there instant ink program nevertheless this seems bogus,I really question the integrity 500,000$ lol someone is gonna make money and HP is gonna charge the poor slob( me) more if they lose. Thanks for the article

Freki123

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Aug 10, 2013
Since the customer may pay it one way or the other (in the long run) I still would like it to be a nice big fine . Maybe the CEO can only get one extra sportscar this year instead of two.
I think users should be able by now to understand to also look how expensive ink is and if 3rd party ink is available.

Mar 7, 2020

Brahman

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2013
According to HP's CEO, you can get viruses from using third-party ink 😂😂
NotebookCheck - HP cites threat of viruses from non-HP printer cartridges to justify blocking their use, experts sceptical
ArsTechnica - HP CEO evokes James Bond-style hack via ink cartridges

As Louis Rossmann said in the video below, it isn't about security, it is about securing the money they get from their customers.

Maybe friends should not allow friends to buy HP products 😂

Is it herpis or hiv?

Dave Russo

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 26, 2014
On another note one of my Daughter's managed to get her hp printer to not work, she called there customer service, and was told she had a virus(and for a fee they would resolve the issue)she has had Kaspersky total security installed ,she called me and I had her bring the printer over, funny(or not to funny)no virus and it was a simple wifi fix. Maybe they work for commission?, maybe blatant lying ? Either way ha ha Google for a remedy first

Jonny Quest

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
On another note one of my Daughter's managed to get her hp printer to not work, she called there customer service, and was told she had a virus(and for a fee they would resolve the issue)she has had Kaspersky total security installed ,she called me and I had her bring the printer over, funny(or not to funny)no virus and it was a simple wifi fix. Maybe they work for commission?, maybe blatant lying ? Either way ha ha Google for a remedy first
That is one of those things I've struggled with on and off over the years, wireless printers in getting them set up and staying synced. All of mine are connected via a printer cable. Next time I'll call you if I ever try to go that route again :) :)

Dave Russo

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 26, 2014
That is one of those things I've struggled with on and off over the years, wireless printers in getting them set up and staying synced. All of mine are connected via a printer cable. Next time I'll call you if I ever try to go that route again :) :)
For some reason just doesn't work on my or daughters without a wireless connection, the exception beingI could get it to print if I restarted the computer, on my computer setting has a recommendation to turn wifi on even though I am plugged into cable

Jonny Quest

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
Does anyone have an AV recommendation for my printer? I need low resource usage and cheap prices.
Xcitium HP Inkjet Print Edition has low impact :) Or, Norton Printer Magician...just read through this thread 😅

Dave Russo

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 26, 2014
For some reason just doesn't work on my or daughters without a wireless connection, the exception beingI could get it to print if I restarted the computer, on my computer setting has a recommendation to turn wifi on even though I am plugged into cable
If you are using a HP printer, I forgot to mention download the HP smart app, its a big help

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.