htfkid2000's Security

htfkid2000

Thread author
Jun 7, 2011
Well, My security Sucks but I very rarely get a virus, and the few times i do screws the computer beyond normal repair and have to reformat!

Tweak

Jan 8, 2011
General computer knowledge: Advanced
Level of security risk: High

This seems a contradiction don't you think? I wouldn't say it sucks but I would say it is not at all layered or robust and could certainly be improved in many ways.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Come on............You basically have just Sandboxie and an on-demand scanner on your pc.. :shy: ...
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Additional Real Time Protection:
Comodo Internet Security (Free) - link
Comodo Internet Security is the free, multi-layered security application that keeps hackers out and personal information in.
Built from the ground upwards with your security in mind, Internet Security offers 360° protection by combining powerful Antivirus protection, an enterprise class packet filtering firewall, advanced host intrusion prevention and automatic sandboxing of unknown files.

Additional on-demand scanner:
Hitman Pro (Trial) - link
An on-demand scanner using multiple anti-malware engines and cloud technology. It offers unlimited free scanning but once you use it to remove detected malware it switches to a 30-day trial version. I recommend using it after you've scanned your hard-drive with the other products you have installed.

Additional browser protection:
WOT (Free) - link
To help you avoid malicious sites you can use Web of Trust (WOT) a website rating browser plugin. After you add it to your browser make sure you only visit websites rated "Green" by WOT

VTzilla (Free) - link
VTzilla is a Mozilla Firefox browser plugin that simplifies the process of scanning Internet resources with VirusTotal. It allows you to download files directly with VirusTotal's web application prior to storing them in your PC. Moreover, it will not only scan files, but also URLs.
The scanning options are embedded in Firefox's context menu and download dialog, making the analysis process as easy as clicking a single button.
More Info

Adblock Plus (Free) - link
Adblock is a content-filtering extension for Mozilla Firefox- and Mozilla Application Suite-based web browsers. Adblock allows users to prevent page elements, such as advertisements, from being downloaded and displayed.

LastPass (Free/) - link
LastPass is an online password manager and form filler that makes web browsing easier and more secure.
More details - link

Extra protection:
EMET 2 (Enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit) (Free) - link
EMET provides users with the ability to deploy security features built into Windows to arbitrary applications. This helps prevent vulnerabilities in those applications from successfully being exploited. DEP, SEHOP and ASLR are such security features, if you want to learn more about what they do, you can watch this video from Microsoft TechCenter. To configure EMET you should follow this guide by rationallyPARANOID.

What settings are you using for Sandboxie?It's the free or the paid version?

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
htfkid2000 said:
@ Jack i already have Ad-Block Plus! =P
Ok.Now I would suggest that you properly secure your pc .... I know that an advanced user might feel immune to malware but trust me when I say this ..you aren't!
Malware has evolved so much this days and it can infect any PC that isn't properly secured , regardless of what type of user is behind it.
Keyloggers,Drive-by , trojans etc. are real threats for all users. :)

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Since Jack suggested at all, you can try a DNS, (Norton, ClearCloud (Near end of the cycle) or Comodo DNS.

LoftedAphid86

Feb 24, 2011
jamescv7 said:
Since Jack suggested at all, you can try a DNS, (Norton, ClearCloud (Near end of the cycle) or Comodo DNS.
You missed quite a few words and brackets there.

You should add a lot to your protection, you can't survive for long on just that.
You could just get Ubuntu and be rid of malware altogether. ☺

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.