Huawei unveils the Mate Xs and MatePad Pro 5G w/ no Play Store access

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Huawei has officially unveiled its second-generation Mate Xs foldable and MatePad Pro 5G tablet at a closed-door launch event in Barcelona.

The event went ahead, even though MWC 2020 was cancelled due to concerns over the spread of coronavirus, with the duo given top billing during a live-streamed launch event.

Both devices will rely heavily on the Huawei AppGallery, which will be the default app store for everyone globally. This was expected ahead of time, as the US-trade bans remain very much in place for the foreseeable future.

The Huawei Mate Xs is a refresh of the folding Mate X unveiled at MWC last year. It comes with a Kirin 990 5G chipset, 8GB of RAM, 512GB of internal storage, and a 4,500mAh split battery. When unfolded, it retains the same 8-inch display as seen last year, but with some improvements made to the display structure that is said to be 80% stronger than the previous display. When folded, you get a 6.6-inch almost bezel-free front display and 6.38-inch rear display.

Huawei has also enhanced the Falcon Wing back-to-back folding design, which feels smoother and more stable than on the previous model. The upgraded Huawei Mate Xs will retail for €2,499 for the 8GB RAM, 512GB storage variant and will be available for purchase later this year.

matepad pro

The Chinese firm also announced the MatePad Pro 5G, which is one of the world’s first 5G-connected tablets. The 10.8-inch Android-powered tablet will also lack access to the Google Play Store. It too comes with the Kirin 990 5G chipset, either 6 or 8GB of RAM, 256GB of internal storage, and comes with a large 7,250mAh battery — which can be charged wirelessly.

There is also room for a dual-camera setup on the rear, with an upper left punch hole notch within the AMOLED display for video calls and selfie-taking. Huawei will also offer a number of optional accessories for the Huawei MatePad Pro 5G, including an M-Pencil stylus and detachable keyboard stand cover.

Both the Huawei Mate Xs and MatePad Pro 5G come with EMUI 10 atop Android 10 out of the box. For those wondering, the software is essentially the same as you would expect with a standard Google Play certified device, just without direct or official access to the Google Play Store.

With a very iPad Pro-like design, the MatePad Pro 5G will retail for €749 for the 8GB RAM, 256GB storage model and will be available to purchase from April 2020. A limited Wi-Fi only model will start at €549 for the 6GB RAM, 128GB storage option.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Android-powered tablet will also lack access to the Google Play Store.
Google warns to not sideload its apps.
According to Google, any Huawei device released after the above date (16th May 2019) has not received Play Protect certification, meaning that any "sideloaded Google apps will not work reliably because we do not allow these services to run on uncertified devices where security may be compromised."
https://www.techradar.com/news/google-officially-warns-huawei-device-owners-not-to-sideload-its-apps

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
HUAWEI MATE XS SCREEN FILM IS 3 TIMES MORE EXPENSIVE THAN GOLD

No wonder it is so expensive. It'll be available in my country next month for US$2712. All the US pricing are converted pricing.

Just some price info comparison against laptops in my country

DELL XPS 15 7590 i7 costs US$2361 with 4K UHD touchscreen, 16GB RAM and 512 GB storage

LG Gram 15 inch (8th Gen) i5 8GB RAM 512 GB storage costs US$1861

It is reported that the entire hinge system of Huawei Mate Xs uses a variety of special materials and special manufacturing processes. Zirconium-based liquid metal is used in key parts of the eagle wing structure. The strength of this material is no worse than that of titanium alloy, which makes the hinge more reliable.

When the screen of the Mate Xs is freely switched between the folded state and the unfolded state, its eagle-wing hinge structure operates accurately. It can ensure the non-destructive and smooth experience between the screen opening and closing. This will allow the phone to unfold and fold to truly achieve an integrated perfect folding form.

The folding screen of Huawei Mate Xs uses double-layer aerospace-grade polyimide flexible material film. The price of this special material is more than 3 times that of gold. And the strength is 80% higher than that of a single layer.

Huawei uses a self-developed double-layered polymer structure to aggregate two precious films together through flexible optical glue. It makes the screen display clear and sharp, saturated and bright, and also safe and durable.

Full report at

Last edited:

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
There are a few things I don't like about the Mate Xs

1) No WiFi 6
2) No support for mmWave
3) Outward folding so cannot always hold in the hand
8) Only 8GB RAM. I believe this is the same DDR4 RAM as the earlier Mate X
9) Battery only at 4500mAh

Eyeing 3 new upcoming phones on the horizon are

SAMSUNG Note 20
SAMSUNG Z Fold 2
HW Mate X2

:love:

Sampei Nihira

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Dec 26, 2019
So with no Play services available, how can one purchase apps?

Probably thanks to this pre-installed app:

It is also available in my Huawei P30 Lite.

P.S.
I have seen that some apps are missing.
For example WhatsApp.
So you have to install them by enabling the download from unknown sources for example in Chrome.

Last edited:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
There are a few things I don't like about the Mate Xs

1) No WiFi 6
2) No support for mmWave
3) Outward folding so cannot always hold in the hand
8) Only 8GB RAM. I believe this is the same DDR4 RAM as the earlier Mate X
9) Battery only at 4500mAh

Eyeing 3 new upcoming phones on the horizon are

SAMSUNG Note 20
SAMSUNG Z Fold 2
HW Mate X2

:love:
Not good enough, you need better specs to run Android that basically does the same as every other Android device.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.