Hungry Man Linux Setup

Hungry Man

Thread author
Jul 21, 2011
Network:
DDWRT Router
OpenDNS with DNSCrypt

I have 40+ enforced AppArmor profiles.

Chrome, Chrome plugins, Chrome sandbox, Pidgin, VLC, various Ubuntu services, and more are locked down with Apparmor.

Chrome is set to use the Seccomp sandbox (whitelists a set of system calls that can be made, all other calls result in panic.)

PPAPI Flash only.

Separate Chrome profile with strong ScriptNo settings and strict privacy settings.

LastPass with 100,000 passes.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Not sure if you can get them for Linux but got any backup options?

Hungry Man

Thread author
Jul 21, 2011
I think that's packaged with Ubuntu actually. I should really make a backup.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Hungry Man said:
I think that's packaged with Ubuntu actually. I should really make a backup.

Well apart from that I can't think of any :p because it's Ubuntu.

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
You could add avast as on-demand scanner, you might want to try CAVL (CAV for linux) when it's out of beta. WineHQ is something I recommend you to have in case you want to install some windows application or games. WineHQ is good and games work very good on it.

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
Valentin N said:
You could add avast as on-demand scanner, you might want to try CAVL (CAV for linux) when it's out of beta. WineHQ is something I recommend you to have in case you want to install some windows application or games. WineHQ is good and games work very good on it.

PlayOnLinux is an excellent software based on Wine. :) I use it a lot.

Z

ZeroDay

I also change the hosts file on my Linux installs and the dnd. Hungryman have you tried Pinguy OS?

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Fine setup, just add some application that could be useful for Ubuntu and since that OS is one of the majority of the application known to be compatible.

malbky

Level 1
Jun 23, 2011
Yes i second WALT Play on Linux is a frontend for wine. If you have the money to spend get CADEGA by TransGaming. http://linux.softpedia.com/get/GAMES-ENTERTAINMENT/Simulation/Cedega-9843.shtml.

But it has been inactive since 2009. So cant say if its available or not. In ubuntu i cant get my intel lan card working. Purchased a new motherboard so have to try again :).

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I thought Linux was install and forget, maybe not.

Hungry Man

Thread author
Jul 21, 2011
I'm avoiding attack surface where possible - no AVs, removing dependencies, removing packages that aren't in use.

I don't think I need an AV - I have no ports open and I only install from the software center. If an exploit drops a payload via one of my internet facing applications every single one has apparmor applied.

Those WINE gaming frontends look cool - I'll check them out. Right now I have Windows installed mostly to play games.

@Earth,

I'm sure I would be very safe with a default installation of Ubuntu. I'm just trying to learn the tools.

Hungry Man

Thread author
Jul 21, 2011
Added a new profile for "Secure browsing" - details will be added to the first post. Moved to Chrome from Chromium - I figure I'd rather do it now than later since PPAPI Flash will hopefully come to 64bit Chrome.

Hungry Man

Thread author
Jul 21, 2011
Adding a ChromiumOS virtual machine to play around with/ hopefully stream Netflix from. I suppose I could use it for some kind of "super-safe" browsing/ for testing exploits or something. Nothing getting through ChromiumOS the way I'll set it up + through a VM, which I'll hopefully have running in an AppArmor profile.

edit: Yikes, no netflix for Chromium OS - just Chrome OS. Oh wellll.

Hungry Man

Thread author
Jul 21, 2011
I like Ubuntu because it's simple. I might give Ultimate a try in a VM but I think the next OS I use will probably be FreeBSD or Gentoo.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.