Hungry Man Linux Setup

Hungry Man

Thread author
Jul 21, 2011
A few crashes with background programs and the default media player/ unity. Nothing major.

The main difference sI've noticed are
1) The software center loads near instantly
2) Unity is far more customizable/ now includes aero snapping with keyboard shortcuts

Hungry Man

Thread author
Jul 21, 2011
Cinnamon looks alright, what I like about Unity is that I never see it. The bar at the top is very thin and the one on the side doesn't exist until I hit the windows key.

malbky

Level 1
Jun 23, 2011
At last found a fan of Mint. I too like their cinamom interface. But the best thing i liked from start on Linux Mint were its beautiful start menu and its Updater.
Unity of ubuntu looks cool.

Just set up a VM with XP next is a VM with Mint. But all Mint release names were girly names. Actually names of girls. Bianca etc etc. And their website has not changed in years.

Hungry Man

Thread author
Jul 21, 2011
Well, Ubuntu is bringing a new Seccomp sandbox LSM to the kernel so I'm very excited to see programs make use of it.

malbky

Level 1
Jun 23, 2011
Hungry Man is the feature coming in the next release?. IS sandbox LSM added by ubuntu or it is going to be put in the next release of linux kernel?

Hungry Man

Thread author
Jul 21, 2011
The LSMs have to be compiled into the kernel by the distro. So we'll see it in the Ubuntu 3.3 kernel or properly patched Vanilla kernels.

Seccomp sandbox will be available in 12.04. It's available right now in 11.10 (and has been since 4.10 iirc) but a very different version of it.

malbky

Level 1
Jun 23, 2011
Ok i get it Thanks for clarification. Just have lost track of linux. A year back I was a big linux geek. Constantly tuned at distrowatch, reading softpedia and distrowatch weekly roundups. Also was a visitor of howtoforge.com

Hungry Man

Thread author
Jul 21, 2011
The only linux-committed forum I post on (rarely) is ubuntuforums jsut to get help with things sometimes.

I'm learning a a lot the OS though. Reading about LSM and BFS is really interesting.

malbky

Level 1
Jun 23, 2011
Oh ok. I have got some catching up work to do. Check distrowatch hungry man you will find it useful.

Hungry Man

Thread author
Jul 21, 2011
Added lastpass. My computer does alright with 100,000 passes for the encryption so that's what it's set to. Actually, even my single core CR48 could handle it (thought it bumped up CPU to 100% for ~1 minute) so it's working well.

The recommendation by LastPass is 500 passes and I believe that's near the standard. My master password is 3x as long as it needs to be so I'm not worried at all, I just wanted to play around and see it.

I'll be keeping LastPass as my password manager.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Is this a desktop or laptop? And what would happen in the event your computer was stolen?

What happens in the unfortunate event of forgetting your master password?

What measures do you have against phishing/scam sites etc?

Hungry Man

Thread author
Jul 21, 2011
This is a laptop but it's a desktop replacement - it doesn't leave the apartment. I only take my CR48 out of the apartment and it uses disk encryption. If someone breaks into my apartment I'm kinda screwed anyways but I believe they'd still need my master password to get onto my accounts. I'm not sure, very new to lastpass.

I won't forget it. It's a very strong password but I won't forget it. I use a pretty simple algorithm making use of (4 pieces of) information that I know and some pseudorandom information that would not be guessed by an attacker and then it goes through a few steps to increase the strength.

Phishing/ scam sites - Chrome uses heuristics to detect these and I don't think I'm really the typical target. I don't really know how they'd even scam me.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.