Hungry Man Linux Setup

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Hungry Man said:
Added lastpass. My computer does alright with 100,000 passes for the encryption so that's what it's set to. Actually, even my single core CR48 could handle it (thought it bumped up CPU to 100% for ~1 minute) so it's working well.

The recommendation by LastPass is 500 passes and I believe that's near the standard. My master password is 3x as long as it needs to be so I'm not worried at all, I just wanted to play around and see it.

I'll be keeping LastPass as my password manager.

I checked mine and it was on 1. :mad: Changed to a higher figure.

I was reading the meaning up here.
http://helpdesk.lastpass.com/security-options/password-iterations-pbkdf2/

However, while we permit users to increase their rounds all the way to 100,000 rounds, you may start to notice problems when logging in via certain browsers or platforms when you go above 1,000 rounds. For example, Internet Explorer 7 will be very slow with such a higher number of rounds. Logging into m.lastpass.com on a smart phone (where the rounds are done in JavaScript only) may not work at all.

Hungry Man

Thread author
Jul 21, 2011
Even a single pass is sufficient but every additional pass will increase the time it takes to bruteforce the key.

The most important factor is password strength, adding a single character can add as many as 95 additional possibilities which means 95 more brute force attempts. Each pass makes those brute force attempts slower.

100,000 passes will slow anything down.

malbky

Level 1
Jun 23, 2011
Thats why I store all my passwords in my memory of my brain. When I am going outstation for a few days I disconnected the hard disk and take it along(rarely) or just keep it my safe and lock it up.
That way my data is secure.

D

Deleted member 178

Hungry Man said:
...than risk breaking it while walking around.

happened to me last year, and it is very very annoying to lose 1TB of softs, music and movies

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
umbrapolaris said:
happened to me last year, and it is very very annoying to lose 1TB of softs, music and movies

Was it a WD HDD? :lol:

I lost GBs worth of photos. :(

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.