Advice Request I am head of research at Emsisoft. Ask me anything! :)

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMalwareMaster

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 4, 2016
I am not even sure that will work. Usually VPNs will use UDP for performance reasons. Tor is essentially a SOCKS proxy. While SOCKS5 in theory supports UDP, in practice it is quite problematic and not a lot of server implementations support it. So you would have to use TCP for the VPN connection, which has a whole slew of different issues.

Given that you need to pay for the VPN, having your connections exit at the VPN, may expose you more than the other way around. It all depends on whether the VPN company logs or not.
Also as a personal note: While I greatly appreciate all the questions, I will ask to have this thread closed on Monday. That means you have around two more days to get your questions in.

This probably won't be the last AMA I will do. Since you guys enjoyed it quite a bit, we are thinking of doing an AMA on a semi-regular basis and open it up to more communities and social media. So if you missed this one, you will definitely get another chance in the future. :)
Thanks a lot for your contribution in this thread. It was really appreciated.
Yes, in theory you should use your VPN in TCP mode. The idea is that, using this configuration, the VPN provider would only have your TOR ip address. So that's why I thought it was great from an anonimity standpoint. However, in theory it's quite difficult to setup and speeds are really low

Fabian Wosar

From Emsisoft
Thread author
Verified
Developer
Well-known
Jun 29, 2014
if you felt burnt out and wanted to move on, what would you consider doing?
I would probably still work in IT somehow. Maybe get a normal developer job or do some sort of startup.

Would you ever feel free from those who have declared vengeance against you?
Yeah, of course. I am not too worried about it now. Previously I had my mum living with me since she was quite sick. So I was more worried about her than I was about me. She died a while ago so I don't need to worry as much. Most days I don't really think about it. I have done anything I could do to protect myself. Anything beyond that is out of my control, so there's no point worrying about it.

Emsi no firewall, should I put and who?When i search for something on google,I do not see the links safe.(bitdefender trafficlight,web reputation)...sorry for bad english.
We recommend sticking to the Windows Firewall. If you want more control, go with one of the many Windows Firewall frontends. Other than that we have no immediate plans for search indicators for the browser extension, but it sounds like a cool idea and probably will make it into extension at one point or another.

Yes, in theory you should use your VPN in TCP mode. The idea is that, using this configuration, the VPN provider would only have your TOR ip address. So that's why I thought it was great from an anonimity standpoint. However, in theory it's quite difficult to setup and speeds are really low
Yeah, but it's still you who pays for it. So they still know it's you as you still use your account. Depending on your local laws, that may already be enough as you are responsible for your account/connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.