I need an Internet Security product

FrFc1908

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 28, 2016
Keep in mind there's no "best" security product. Each has their own strengths and weaknesses and each individual has their own reasons for liking/disliking different vendors and their products. A product who's praises are sang by one person may not be to your liking. I know this doesn't help with your dilemma of choosing a product but it's something to keep in mind.

I highly suggest going to each vendors' website (that you're interested in) and using their 30-day free trial to test their products out yourself.

@Arequire is absolutely right with his remarks! just make sure you have a clean backup image to revert back to each time you start a new security product trial , the reason for me saying this is that each time you do a lot of unistalling / installing you can end up with socalled " windows rot " wich means a slow and unstable system , even with the usage of tools like revo uninstaller. there is a risk of left behind drivers when you do not do fresh image each time which can cause conflicts.

Faybert

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 8, 2017
[QUOTE = "bobby holla, post: 645518, member: 29905"] Yeah i have always thought of G DATA but not much positive remarks from users about them in the industry [/ QUOTE]
I use G Data for a long time, I have never had problems, always solid and in my tests is always one of the best, if you do not consider G Data, I would recommend F-Secure :)

Reactions: _CyberGhosT_

FrFc1908

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 28, 2016
[QUOTE = "bobby holla, post: 645518, member: 29905"] Yeah i have always thought of G DATA but not much positive remarks from users about them in the industry [/ QUOTE]
I use G Data for a long time, I have never had problems, always solid and in my tests is always one of the best, if you do not consider G Data, I would recommend F-Secure :)

f-secure is too expensive for what the product offfers!

Sunshine-boy

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2017
from what I read in PC Mag:F-Secure Internet Security (2017)
F-Secure is strong against exploits so worth the price!I did a search and found these free suits are not good against exploits or fileless malware...
A good av isn't only an anti ransomware or anti-virus it's more than that.
I guess that deep guard alone worth the price :p

darko999

Level 17
Verified
Well-known
Oct 2, 2014
If you want paid go for G-Data sit and forget, just make sure to set up a public profile for G-Data firewall in settings. If you know how to move over the internet and have safe surfing habits Windows Defender is not a bad pick. But yes G-Data IS provides better overall protection and they have improved it a lot. ESET is weak on default settings and sure you don't want to mess around with settings "I may be wrong". Kaspersky is also good.

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
Kind of surprised more aren't suggesting kaspersky.

Two suggestions:
KIS (paid)
or
Bitdefender Free + Comodo Firewall+AppCheck Anti-Ransom (100% free)

Then I recommend you scour for apps that will provide specific protections such as SecureFolders for protecting document folders (super underrated program). You can use this program to specify what programs are allowed to write to protected folders and files.

Many ways you can go, but maybe it will help to remember that there are valuable pieces for specific protections too.

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
Kind of surprised more aren't suggesting Kaspersky.

Two suggestions:
KIS (paid)
or
Bitdefender Free + Comodo Firewall+AppCheck Anti-Ransom (100% free)

Then I recommend you scour for apps that will provide specific protections such as SecureFolders for protecting document folders (super underrated program). You can use this program to specify what programs are allowed to write to protected folders and files.

Many ways you can go, but maybe it will help to remember that there are valuable pieces for specific protections too.
I guess people don't want to suggest the obvious choices.
I would rather go for Bitdefender IS paid than that combination you posted, lighter, if he doesn't want to go with KIS.

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
I would rather go for Bitdefender IS paid than that combination you posted, lighter, if he doesn't want to go with KIS.

Probably better in many ways. That's a good point. Didn't realize BD free is actually heavier than IS. The other thing was that BD IS has a firewall if I understand it correctly, which Comodo has too.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

I need advice on an Internet Security product to replace Windows defender on my Windows 10. i don't feel safe using it. any user advice to please recommend me for a security software (an antivirus). i don't mind even if it is paid.

Emsisoft (Paid), Forticlient (Free)

Both are good IMO. Check out Shadowserver, Fortinet is almost always in the top 5. Shadowserver is actual, real threats scanned in a honeypot.

malis2007

Level 2
Verified
Feb 10, 2016
ESET smart security(paid) + Malwarebytes Anti-Malware(paid) + Unchecky(free)
(+ Ublock Origin for browsers..)

that is what i am using ^ and it looks fine :D

Reactions: AtlBo and BearHug

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.