I need an Internet Security product

bobby holla

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Oct 30, 2014
I need advice on an Internet Security product to replace windows defender on my windows 10. i don't feel safe using it. any user advice to please recommend me for a security software (an antivirus). i don't mind even if it is paid.

Reactions: BearHug and AtlBo

enaph

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 14, 2011
Just like @RoboMan said - Windows Defender is solid product and if you're on W10 Pro you can tweak it a little for more security using Group Policy.
But if you're still not convinced then I would suggest combination of Windows Defender and Comodo Firewall with @cruelsister's proactive setup - this option will be very efficient and free.
You can also try VoodooShield which is whitelisting solution and works flawless with Windows Defender (and with many other AV's too).
If you really hate WD and wanna get rid of it then go for Emsisoft Anti-Malware (or IS - it's your choice) as it utilises multi layer approach wrapped in one very efficent app.

RoboMan

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Well go ahead and talk crap about Microsoft's security product, but remember you're talking about the same company that introduces UAC, SmartScreen, Credential Guard, Device Guard, UEFI, DHA, ELAM, untrustred font blocking, memory protection, and beyond. The very same company that grabbed Microsoft Security Essentials and from scratch added PUP detection, MAPS, MPEngine, WD Application Guard. But sure, go ahead and say Windows Defender is crap because it failed versus a home-made test with a downloaded malware pack.

RoboMan

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Personally i think i need a paid internet security. give me advice on any that will worth my money?
To start with, please set what your expectations are. Most paid suites are so because they include some special features you may or may not need. Some of them come with Parental Control, Firewalls, even more modules. If you're interested in a paid suite to make an install and forget, and be protected all way possible with just one software, i'd say purchase Emsisoft Internet Security, or Kaspersky Internet Security. Both the most complete softwares for security.

This does not mean you can't get same level of protection using free software. As mentioned by our friend @Trickster Avast (Free) can be tweaked a bit and complemented with VoodooShield (an antiexecutable, whitelistening software) and Binisisoft's WFC (a free Firewall). With those three softwares (that can be set on user-friendly) you can achieve the same or better protection level than a paid software. And of course do not forget what our friend @pablozi mentions about common sense. That's your best ally.

@RoboMan,

lol, relax. take a deep breath. i never said it is crap but it aint solid like you said either.

if Microsoft is so solid as you have claimed why on earth would you post a thread to " Improve Security of Windows OS "

Win10 Security Plus
No problem, i'm relaxed. I do not go mad on internet. Unless i'm playing League of Legends then either carry my game or get out of my sight.
First, we're talking about Windows Defender. As an antivirus, it won't make your PC invulnerable. It's just a complement for your system. Works the exact same way as any other. Of course, it's not as powerful as Kaspersky or Emsisoft. It hasn't been until reciently they started updating and improving it to make it a primary option.
Then, the mentioned guide i posted is a very interesting complement despite the security software you have. Windows has lots of built-in software and security policies/modules. Sometimes disabled by default, sometimes enabled by default. Depending on the user's need, some of them may be enabled or disabled to achieve more security. That's what the guide is for. That software makes nothing you can't do manually, because Windows let you do it. It's just a tool to make it for you.

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
Personally i think i need a paid internet security. give me advice on any that will worth my money?
Keep in mind there's no "best" security product. Each has their own strengths and weaknesses and each individual has their own reasons for liking/disliking different vendors and their products. A product who's praises are sang by one person may not be to your liking. I know this doesn't help with your dilemma of choosing a product but it's something to keep in mind.

I highly suggest going to each vendors' website (that you're interested in) and using their 30-day free trial to test their products out yourself.

ispx

Level 13
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2017

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.