Troubleshoot I need help with a old pc

Runt85

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jan 19, 2017
I have a older 2012 Hp desktop
It came installed with windows 8,i did find a iso of windows 10 off of microsoft.com,after running windows 10 for many months i opened up task manager and seen the computer usage % was very high up to 98 percent

This is what i have installed
WINDOWS 8.1--- 64 bit
-avast free or bitdefender free,i switch back and forth
-voodoo shield free
-google chrome
-ccleaner
-geekuninstaller free

If anyone could lend a hand and help me out it would be greatly appreciated

Attachments

• PC HELP.PNG
    PC HELP.PNG
    27.2 KB · Views: 431
Reactions: SHvFl

Winter Soldier

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
Some Windows background processes, probably related to the installation of updates, can cause a high CPU load for even a few hours.
In some cases, a reboot resolves the situation.

Reactions: Runt85 and Marko :)
Upvote 0

Xsjx

Level 13
Verified
Feb 21, 2017
It came installed with windows 8,i did find a iso of windows 10 off of microsoft.com,after running windows 10 for many months i opened up task manager and seen the computer usage % was very high up to 98 percent

WINDOWS 8.1--- 64 bit
-voodoo shield free
-google chrome
-ccleaner
-geekuninstaller free

A friend of me has same specs pc.. slow as .... but runs windows 10 with Avira total Package
So Idk but first post a screenshot of task manager ;)

Reactions: Runt85
Upvote 0

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Which category of usage was close to 98%?
Was it CPU, Memory, Disk, or Network?

Upvote 0

larry goes to church

Level 3
Verified
Mar 10, 2017
If I remember correctly the E1-1200 is on par to the Celeron processor by intel.

To start this processor is an old CPU with not much power so don't expect too much from it.

What are you doing while the usage is high?

Upvote 0

Xsjx

Level 13
Verified
Feb 21, 2017
If I remember correctly the E1-1200 is on par to the Celeron processor by intel.

To start this processor is an old CPU with not much power so don't expect too much from it.

What are you doing while the usage is high?
Sorry but its amd...
Look also on screenshot..
AMD E1

But for sure Avast is way too heavy for this system you should use one av so no voodooshield on this PC
I can Recommend Avira,360ts
If you dont care about privacy And like 360 then choose 360 ;)
Otherwise everything else Avira should be better ;)

Edit: Bitdefender free idk how munch it uses so i cant give a recommendation on it.

Upvote 0

Runt85

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jan 19, 2017
Sorry but its amd...
AMD E1

But for sure Avast is way too heavy for this system you should use one av so no voodooshield on this PC

Edit: Bitdefender free idk how munch it uses so i cant give a recommendation on it.
Which category of usage was close to 98%?
Was it CPU, Memory, Disk, or Network?

CPU%

Upvote 0

Runt85

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jan 19, 2017
Sorry but its amd...
AMD E1

Ill look into these two ive used avira before
so is windows 8 the os to use or can i run 10?

Upvote 0

Runt85

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jan 19, 2017
A friend of me has same specs pc.. slow as .... but runs windows 10 with Avira total Package
So Idk but first post a screenshot of task manager ;)

i just did a fresh install iso of windows 8,so i was trying to get a idea on what to put on the pc

Upvote 0

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I don't see why windows 8 will run any better than windows 10 on your system. As long as the hardware officially supports windows 10, it will run fine.
The CPU problem needs to be solved either way, it's not because of the version of Windows.
If you have a weak processor, then it will stay at 100% usage for a while when you are trying to load a heavy web page.
I think the processor is just too weak to give good performance when viewing online video content.
It will be the same whatever OS you choose.

Upvote 0

Runt85

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jan 19, 2017
I don't see why windows 8 will run any better than windows 10 on your system. As long as the hardware officially supports windows 10, it will run fine.
The CPU problem needs to be solved either way, it's not because of the version of Windows.
If you have a weak processor, then it will stay at 100% usage for a while when you are trying to load a heavy web page.
I think the processor is just too weak to give good performance when viewing online video content.
It will be the same whatever OS you choose.

I had no idea,thanks for the info i like windows 10 alot more anyways

Reactions: shmu26
Upvote 0

Runt85

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jan 19, 2017
Sorry but its amd...
AMD E1

avira free? and nothing else?

Upvote 0

WINDOWS 8.1--- 64 bit
-voodoo shield free
-google chrome
-ccleaner
-geekuninstaller free

Windows 10 and Core2Duo\Pentium chips don't work well together. It isn't your installed programs, but instead Windows 10 memory management.

I see you have an E1 processor -- so therein lies part of the problem. Also, you have 4 GB of memory, therein lies the other part of the problem.

I use a Pentium P6100 Toshiba L655-S5096 with 3 GB RAM. Startup is very slow and some application launches are very slow. Chrome, for example, will spike physical memory usage 1o 100 %. After everything calms down after a few minutes, the average is about 50 % of RAM while browsing and some other programs open.

For ancient, low-end systems I suggest using a security solution that is very easy on the system resources.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Runt85

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jan 19, 2017
Windows 10 and Core2Duo\Pentium chips don't work well together. It isn't your installed programs, but instead Windows 10 memory management.

I see you have an E1 processor -- so therein lies part of the problem. Also, you have 4 GB of memory, therein lies the other part of the problem.

I use a Pentium P6100 Toshiba L655-S5096 with 3 GB RAM. Startup is very slow and some application launches are very slow. Chrome, for example, will spike physical memory usage 1o 100 %. After everything calms down after a few minutes, the average is about 50 % of RAM while browsing and some other programs open.

For ancient, low-end systems I suggest using a security solution that is very easy on the system resources.

So what browser,Free av,and ect do you recommended,could you give me a list?

Reactions: shmu26
Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.