Troubleshoot I need help with a old pc

Runt85

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jan 19, 2017
I have a older 2012 Hp desktop
It came installed with windows 8,i did find a iso of windows 10 off of microsoft.com,after running windows 10 for many months i opened up task manager and seen the computer usage % was very high up to 98 percent

This is what i have installed
WINDOWS 8.1--- 64 bit
-avast free or bitdefender free,i switch back and forth
-voodoo shield free
-google chrome
-ccleaner
-geekuninstaller free

If anyone could lend a hand and help me out it would be greatly appreciated

Attachments

• PC HELP.PNG
    PC HELP.PNG
    27.2 KB · Views: 431
Reactions: SHvFl

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Actually, some people complain that Avira is kind of heavy on the system.
The free AV that most people consider light is Avast.

Reactions: Runt85
Upvote 0

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Windows 10 and Core2Duo\Pentium chips don't work well together. It isn't your installed programs, but instead Windows 10 memory management.

I see you have an E1 processor -- so therein lies part of the problem. Also, you have 4 GB of memory, therein lies the other part of the problem.

I use a Pentium P6100 Toshiba L655-S5096 with 3 GB RAM. Startup is very slow and some application launches are very slow. Chrome, for example, will spike physical memory usage 1o 100 %. After everything calms down after a few minutes, the average is about 50 % of RAM while browsing and some other programs open.

For ancient, low-end systems I suggest using a security solution that is very easy on the system resources.
Do those old CPUs work better on Windows 8? I didn't notice a difference between Windows 8 and Windows 10 on my old Pentium II computer with 4 gb RAM.

Reactions: Runt85 and Ink
Upvote 0

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Be aware that Avira installs some unwanted Launcher/Connect software, and I wouldn't have recommended to use Avira (or any other Antivirus), until you sorted the issue out.

Yes, you could have used Geek Uninstaller to remove Chrome.

@Runt85 Has your CPU issue been solved? In some posts you say Windows 8 and the other 8.1, which is it? Thanks :)

You can discuss your Security setup at Security Configuration Wizard.

Upvote 0

Do those old CPUs work better on Windows 8? I didn't notice a difference between Windows 8 and Windows 10 on my old Pentium II computer with 4 gb RAM.

My beater old system can only handle Windows 7. While a config that includes Chrome, PeaZip, UltraSearch, Kingsoft WPS, Rollback RX, AppGuard, SpyShelter, etc will run on it... it's just slow to start and get to a stable, active desktop. Once the active desktop is stable, then it works just fine.

Upvote 0

Runt85

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jan 19, 2017
Be aware that Avira installs some unwanted Launcher/Connect software, and I wouldn't have recommended to use Avira (or any other Antivirus), until you sorted the issue out.

Yes, you could have used Geek Uninstaller to remove Chrome.

@Runt85 Has your CPU issue been solved? In some posts you say Windows 8 and the other 8.1, which is it? Thanks :)

You can discuss your Security setup at Security Configuration Wizard.

Its 8.1

Problem is still an issue

Attachments

• 111111.PNG
    111111.PNG
    428.3 KB · Views: 358
  • 2222.PNG
    2222.PNG
    2.5 MB · Views: 335
Upvote 0

Runt85

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jan 19, 2017
Once youtube is shut off,it drops down to 4%-20% range,i pay for comcast blast package the fastest speed i can get in my area mainly for my playstation 4

Upvote 0

Xsjx

Level 13
Verified
Feb 21, 2017
Once youtube is shut off,it drops down to 4%-20% range,i pay for comcast blast package the fastest speed i can get in my area mainly for my playstation 4
Hmm can you post a screenshot from task manager whith the program that uses the most cpu?

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.