I need suggestions on usage of SSD and HDD in my new computer

IoSonoPiero

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jan 15, 2019
Hello people,
I bought a new PC with an SSD (Intel SSD 660p Series 1TB PCI Express 3.0 M.2) as the primary disk on which I'll run Windows 10 and a second unit, an HDD (Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" SATA III 256MB 7200rpm).

I'd like to install everything (apps, some games, utilities) on SSD and use it every day, using my HDD as the backup disk (with Macrium).

Or is better to use SSD for Windows and HDD to install apps and games, using another external HDD as the backup disk (with Macrium)?

Can you tell me if something is wrong in my first idea?
Note: I'll backup everything on my NAS, too.

Last edited:

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
Use SSD for Windows and programs. HDD for storing your data (documents, pictures, music...) , but the best and the safest solution is to use additional external HDD for backups of your system and backups of your data. Backup your system once a month and your data once or twice per week. That way your data is secured and your system will fly. Especially on Intel 660p

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
If I had a large main drive SSD like that, I think I would create a second partition. In that case, I would just make sure I keep the main partition large enough to hold whatever I need for Windows and games and programs. For the second partition I would keep my files like pictures and documents. I like to use a nice tight drive partition for the OS and programs. If you have alot of games, you might use the whole 1TB, so I guess it just depends on your usage of the computer. Lot of good ideas here so good luck :)

koloveli

Level 4
Well-known
Sep 13, 2012
If I had a large main drive SSD like that, I think I would create a second partition. In that case, I would just make sure I keep the main partition large enough to hold whatever I need for Windows and games and programs. For the second partition I would keep my files like pictures and documents. I like to use a nice tight drive partition for the OS and programs. If you have alot of games, you might use the whole 1TB, so I guess it just depends on your usage of the computer. Lot of good ideas here so good luck :)
SSD external not works with two or three years of use :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: TRS-80

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
ssd in the popular price range has increased in capacity at the expense of life. I think that expensive past products are more durable than those currently in circulation.

The end of ssd, unlike a debilitating death like hdd, comes suddenly one day. If you use ssd, you should recognize it as a consumable like fresh food and take great care in backup.:)

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
The end of ssd, unlike a debilitating death like hdd, comes suddenly one day. If you use ssd, you should recognize it as a consumable like fresh food and take great care in backup.:)
You should backup regardless of weather you use a SSD or a hard drive. While SSDs may fail suddenly, this should happen much later than a hard drive will fail. As I've already stated, an exception to this is Chinese SSDs from little known brands. If you look at reviews on Amazon, you will see that usually have a fairly high failure rate. Also, as I mentioned previously, I once had a hard drive fail after just a few months of use and without being dropped or bumped. In that case the hard drive was unreadable and if I had wanted my data recovered, I would have had to send it to a data recovery lab and paid a lot of money.

Of course you could be unlucky and have a brand name SSD fail prematurely. But in general they will outlast hard drives. There have been a number of tests done which show just that.

polishpatriot

Level 2
Feb 4, 2020
Hello people,
I bought a new PC with an SSD (Intel SSD 660p Series 1TB PCI Express 3.0 M.2) as the primary disk on which I'll run Windows 10 and a second unit, an HDD (Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" SATA III 256MB 7200rpm).

I'd like to install everything (apps, some games, utilities) on SSD and use it every day, using my HDD as the backup disk (with Macrium).

Or is better to use SSD for Windows and HDD to install apps and games, using another external HDD as the backup disk (with Macrium)?

Can you tell me if something is wrong in my first idea?
Note: I'll backup everything on my NAS, too.

I use SSD for Windows & apps, and two HDDs for virtual machines and ISOs. It's a brain-dead use of storage. It works.

Reactions: TRS-80 and show-Zi

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
You should backup regardless of weather you use a SSD or a hard drive. While SSDs may fail suddenly, this should happen much later than a hard drive will fail. As I've already stated, an exception to this is Chinese SSDs from little known brands. If you look at reviews on Amazon, you will see that usually have a fairly high failure rate. Also, as I mentioned previously, I once had a hard drive fail after just a few months of use and without being dropped or bumped. In that case the hard drive was unreadable and if I had wanted my data recovered, I would have had to send it to a data recovery lab and paid a lot of money.

Of course you could be unlucky and have a brand name SSD fail prematurely. But in general they will outlast hard drives. There have been a number of tests done which show just that.
I agree on the importance of backup. Not all storage media are permanent.:)

I also understand that ssd has a longer lifespan than hdd because there are no moving parts. What I wanted to say was that before the breakdown, hdd was more likely to show signs.:D

Reactions: TRS-80 and roger_m

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.