Hot Take I was pointed to this extension called Dark View.

Morro

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 8, 2012
OK, considering that less than a day ago I mentioned in another thread that I use Dark Reader, this could be considered a bit strange? (Or not at all. :) )

Dark Reader and extensions like it can be very useful, and I have used Dark Reader for a long time. (Due to chronic Migraines.) However, there was always one thing I did not like so much about extensions like that. They inverted the colours, and often pictures would be affected as well. That also happened for me when a Browser had/has an internal method of giving us dark-coloured websites. Now a friend of mine came by for a while this afternoon, and when he saw I was using Dark Reader and that I did not like that it inverts certain colours and pictures. (At times, not always.) He showed me one on Chrome store that I should try out then, namely this one. …

It does not work like Dark Reader and others like it work. It keeps the website's original colours but darkens the colours, makes it less bright. (Which you can already see on the picture below as well.) You can adjust it to a level that you like, and you can exclude websites by adding them to an exception list. All settings can be seen on the pictures below. Not a lot, but not everything needs to be complicated. (And no Dark Reader is also not complicated.) I will try it out for a while, and see if I keep liking it in the long run, or if I will return to Dark Reader. (Despite the inverted colour's thing.) And maybe other people here like to try it out as well. :)

Settings menu.png

Abdel-Rezak

Level 1
Verified
Dec 2, 2018
The developer of this extension is unknown, he has not provided any information regarding the collection and use of user data. This is what we can read on the Crome Web Store page relating to this extension. In my opinion, it is not recommended to use anonymous extensions like that!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Morro

Morro

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 8, 2012
Le développeur de cette extension est inconnu, il n'a fourni aucune information quant à la collecte et l'utilisation des données des utilisateur. C'est ce qu'on peut lire sur la page du Crome Web Store relative à cette extension. A mon avis, il est déconseillé d'utiliser des extensions anonymes comme ça !

The developer of this extension is unknown, he has not provided any information regarding the collection and use of user data. This is what we can read on the Crome Web Store page relating to this extension. In my opinion, it is not recommended to use anonymous extensions like that!

Thank you for the warning, seriously. (y)

But this developer is not the only one on the Chrome Store who does not provide any information regarding the collection and use of user data. And this developer will certainly not be the last one to do so. Once you go online, companies will collect information about you, whether you like it or not. If the person(s) behind this one want to see which sites I visit while I try this one out, then they are welcome to it, I have nothing to hide.

Reactions: Khushal

Wrecker4923

Apr 11, 2024
Dark reader for FF has the permission "Access your data for all websites". That's pretty much a permission to read all the pages you open, including those that may be showing secrets that you may not like to have exposed (like passwords in a password managers).

In this day and age where your attacker will wait to begin the attack while providing useful services, or wait to buy the developer out, you have to weigh between the convenience that you gain, trading off with the privacy/security that you can potentially lose. Use as few extensions and software as possible to increase security. Use only the most trusted extensions that require this kind of permission.

Reactions: Morro

Morro

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 8, 2012
Dark reader for FF has the permission "Access your data for all websites". That's pretty much a permission to read all the pages you open, including those that may be showing secrets that you may not like to have exposed (like passwords in a password managers).

In this day and age where your attacker will wait to begin the attack while providing useful services, or wait to buy the developer out, you have to weigh between the convenience that you gain, trading off with the privacy/security that you can potentially lose. Use as few extensions and software as possible to increase security. Use only the most trusted extensions that require this kind of permission.

I am careful not to use too many extensions, one of them is Bitwarden for password management. :)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.