Troubleshoot IDM interrupts my streaming

ng4ever

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Feb 11, 2016
Whenever I use Internet Download Manager to download something it makes my streaming video, like Directv Now, buffer every 30 secs.

I know your going to say stop using IDM. I don't want to though.

Anyway around this ? I know there is a speed limiter in the program but I prefer my Router to slow down the IDM traffic itself somehow. Is this possible?

I have a Asus RT-AC5300

Yes I tried QOS.

redsworn

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Dec 6, 2017
Disclaimer: I've just recently installed LEDE on my router. Then configured its QOS and I'm pretty satisfied with the results. I'm by no any means an expert, but maybe i can offer some help.

I got few questions to get a better insights on your problem.
  1. Do you use default firmware?
  2. What is your internet speed? (Download/Upload)
  3. How did you configure the QOS?

Upvote 0

ng4ever

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Feb 11, 2016
Disclaimer: I've just recently installed LEDE on my router. Then configured its QOS and I'm pretty satisfied with the results. I'm by no any means an expert, but maybe i can offer some help.

I got few questions to get a better insights on your problem.
  1. Do you use default firmware?
  2. What is your internet speed? (Download/Upload)
  3. How did you configure the QOS?

What is LEDE please?

No Asus Merlin
50 Mbps download and 5 Mbps upload
Like this:
QOS pic 1.jpg

QOS pic 2.jpg

Upvote 0

redsworn

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Dec 6, 2017
LEDE.

Hmm, fq_codel queue discipline actually should be good enough. Try to switch bandwidth setting to manual, and put your internet speed there. It's recommended to set them around 80%-95%. You can check this documentation to get a better understanding about this. Yeah, it's from LEDE but I think it could give you some reference on this matter.

If you don't feel any changes after doing those things I said above, then try this to in order to check if QOS is actually running/working. Use your computer and download something with IDM (preferably something quite big like Linux ISO). Make sure that your IDM is running at full speed. Then start streaming videos from another device (i.e: from laptop, smartphone or other PC) shortly after.

If QOS works, IDM's download speed will go down and some of the bandwidth will be automatically allocated to your other device.

Upvote 0

ng4ever

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Feb 11, 2016
LEDE.

Hmm, fq_codel queue discipline actually should be good enough. Try to switch bandwidth setting to manual, and put your internet speed there. It's recommended to set them around 80%-95%. You can check this documentation to get a better understanding about this. Yeah, it's from LEDE but I think it could give you some reference on this matter.

If you don't feel any changes after doing those things I said above, then try this to in order to check if QOS is actually running/working. Use your computer and download something with IDM (preferably something quite big like Linux ISO). Make sure that your IDM is running at full speed. Then start streaming videos from another device (i.e: from laptop, smartphone or other PC) shortly after.

If QOS works, IDM's download speed will go down and some of the bandwidth will be automatically allocated to your other device.

Nope tried that.

IDM chokes me internet it seems.

Upvote 0

redsworn

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Dec 6, 2017
Nope tried that.

IDM chokes me internet it seems.
Then something is definitely wrong. It can be your firmware or something else. I'm not sure.

I configured my QOS according to that documentation. I've tested using several devices simultaneously. 1 Laptop was downloading using IDM, a smartphone streaming Youtube videos, and I was playing online game with my PC. Bandwidth was allocated fairly among the devices, the game was smooth and didn't have noticeable lag spikes.

Upvote 0

ng4ever

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Feb 11, 2016
Then something is definitely wrong. It can be your firmware or something else. I'm not sure.

I configured my QOS according to that documentation. I've tested using several devices simultaneously. 1 Laptop was downloading using IDM, a smartphone streaming Youtube videos, and I was playing online game with my PC. Bandwidth was allocated fairly among the devices, the game was smooth and didn't have noticeable lag spikes.

How many connections or parts was IDM using to download the file ?

Upvote 0

ng4ever

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Feb 11, 2016
Mine was default which is 8. I haven't done any test with torrent though.

I don't do torrents but should I try the default Asus RT-AC5300 firmware on their website instead of Asus Merlin?

Plus is there any other firmware, that works with QOS, that I could try on my Asus RT-AC5300 router?

Upvote 0
T

TrinitronMSDOS

I think i might know what could be the problem.

By default, IDM is making multiple connections to the same download source, and that could cause some issues in some websites. It caused me to have YouTube videos to be blocked or some heavy downloads to fail after a while, as some servers don't deal well with many download attempts from the same IP.

Open IDM, click on "Downloads", then "Settings" and go the "Connection" tab. At the "Default max. conn. number" select 1. Restart IDM and the browser to check if that helped.

By doing so IDM will only make 1 connection to the servers, therefore not improving downloads speed anymore. But you still have the ability to pause downloads and the use of other options of the soft.

It's worth giving it a shot...

Upvote 0

ng4ever

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Feb 11, 2016
I think i might know what could be the problem.

By default, IDM is making multiple connections to the same download source, and that could cause some issues in some websites. It caused me to have YouTube videos to be blocked or some heavy downloads to fail after a while, as some servers don't deal well with many download attempts from the same IP.

Open IDM, click on "Downloads", then "Settings" and go the "Connection" tab. At the "Default max. conn. number" select 1. Restart IDM and the browser to check if that helped.

By doing so IDM will only make 1 connection to the servers, therefore not improving downloads speed anymore. But you still have the ability to pause downloads and the use of other options of the soft.

It's worth giving it a shot...

Thanks tried that.

Same problem :(

Reactions: TrinitronMSDOS
Upvote 0
T

TrinitronMSDOS

Thanks tried that.

Same problem :(

Do you encounter the problem on all websites, or just a few ? If the latter, that could be the website not being to keen on having 2 connections (the streaming + the download) from the same IP. You could set a proxy in IDM and see if that works.

Also, have you tried with another browser ? Might be worth giving it a shot...

Upvote 0

ng4ever

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Feb 11, 2016
Do you encounter the problem on all websites, or just a few ? If the latter, that could be the website not being to keen on having 2 connections (the streaming + the download) from the same IP. You could set a proxy in IDM and see if that works.

Also, have you tried with another browser ? Might be worth giving it a shot...

Sorry I wasn't more specific but Whenever I use Internet Download Manager to download something it makes my streaming video, like Directv Now, buffer every 30 secs on a Roku in another room.

https://malwaretips.com/threads/idm-interrupts-my-streaming.79178/
I am trying 1 connection right now on the website I am downloading from. Still same problem. :(

Upvote 0

redsworn

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Dec 6, 2017
I don't do torrents but should I try the default Asus RT-AC5300 firmware on their website instead of Asus Merlin?

Plus is there any other firmware, that works with QOS, that I could try on my Asus RT-AC5300 router?
Not to my knowledge. Some people tried to install DD-WRT on this router but ended up bricking the units. So, stay away from that.
I don't know much about AsusWRT-Merlin. But maybe you can try to visit their forums (if any) or check their development/beta branch.

Sorry I wasn't more specific but Whenever I use Internet Download Manager to download something it makes my streaming video, like Directv Now, buffer every 30 secs on a Roku in another room.

I am trying 1 connection right now on the website I am downloading from. Still same problem. :(
Hmm, that's indeed weird. For the record, my router is Vodafone HG553. It's way older and far less powerful than yours.
Have you reboot your router after configuring the QOS?
And did you do some speedtest before and after configuration?

Upvote 0

ng4ever

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Feb 11, 2016
Not to my knowledge. Some people tried to install DD-WRT on this router but ended up bricking the units. So, stay away from that.
I don't know much about AsusWRT-Merlin. But maybe you can try to visit their forums (if any) or check their development/beta branch.

Hmm, that's indeed weird. For the record, my router is Vodafone HG553. It's way older and far less powerful than yours.
Have you reboot your router after configuring the QOS?
And did you do some speedtest before and after configuration?

Yes and Yes.

Upvote 0

redsworn

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Dec 6, 2017
60 Mbps download and 5 Mbps upload about

Everything.
Wait a minute. So the speed stays the same even after QOS is configured?
If you put only 80%-95% on the bandwidth setting but speedtest result doesn't change then the QOS definitely isn't running. Or at very least isn't functioning properly.
My speedtest result pre-QOS was 15 Mbps down and 1.5 Mbps up.
Then after I configured my router QOS at 90% of that result my speedtest went to 13.5 Mbps down and 1.3 Mbps up.
This is necessary to mitigate bufferbloat.

Upvote 0

ng4ever

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Feb 11, 2016
Wait a minute. So the speed stays the same even after QOS is configured?
If you put only 80%-95% on the bandwidth setting but speedtest result doesn't change then the QOS definitely isn't running. Or at very least isn't functioning properly.
My speedtest result pre-QOS was 15 Mbps down and 1.5 Mbps up.
Then after I configured my router QOS at 90% of that result my speedtest went to 13.5 Mbps down and 1.3 Mbps up.
This is necessary to mitigate bufferbloat.

I figured out a way to make it work I think.

I put Bandwidth Settings to manual then entered 60 Mb/s and 5 Mb/sec for my speed. I like having my full speed if possible.

Then I limited IDM with the speed limiter to 6250 KB/sec which leaves about 1000 KB/sec or more for my Roku Directv Now streaming live tv.

Seems to work. Weird.

I am glad it is working even if it is the round about way.

I do prefer it to work the other way.

Upvote 0

redsworn

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Dec 6, 2017
I figured out a way to make it work I think.

I put Bandwidth Settings to manual then entered 60 Mb/s and 5 Mb/sec for my speed. I like having my full speed if possible.

Then I limited IDM with the speed limiter to 6250 KB/sec which leaves about 1000 KB/sec or more for my Roku Directv Now streaming live tv.

Seems to work. Weird.

I am glad it is working even if it is the round about way.

I do prefer it to work the other way.
Well, it should work that way. But you kinda lose the QOS feature of your router. That's why i never mentioned speed limiter feature on IDM these whole time. Doesn't really matter if you're satisfied with the results.

And about the bandwidth settings, of course you can set it to your ISP advertised speed in other words 100% of the bandwidth. Be aware tho, you're going to have to deal with bufferbloat. I've been there and I didn't like it. It could also be the reason why your QOS doesn't work properly. AsusWRT-Merlin wiki even suggesting to set the bandwidth within those range.

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.