Troubleshoot IDM interrupts my streaming

ng4ever

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Feb 11, 2016
Whenever I use Internet Download Manager to download something it makes my streaming video, like Directv Now, buffer every 30 secs.

I know your going to say stop using IDM. I don't want to though.

Anyway around this ? I know there is a speed limiter in the program but I prefer my Router to slow down the IDM traffic itself somehow. Is this possible?

I have a Asus RT-AC5300

Yes I tried QOS.

ng4ever

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Feb 11, 2016
Well, it should work that way. But you kinda lose the QOS feature of your router. That's why i never mentioned speed limiter feature on IDM these whole time. Doesn't really matter if you're satisfied with the results.

And about the bandwidth settings, of course you can set it to your ISP advertised speed in other words 100% of the bandwidth. Be aware tho, you're going to have to deal with bufferbloat. I've been there and I didn't like it. It could also be the reason why your QOS doesn't work properly. AsusWRT-Merlin wiki even suggesting to set the bandwidth within those range.

What is bufferbloat please? Thanks

Also I tried setting QOS bandwidth settings to manual at 80%-95% but it made no difference :( Will try again.

Upvote 0

redsworn

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Dec 6, 2017
What is bufferbloat please? Thanks

Also I tried setting QOS bandwidth settings to manual at 80%-95% but it made no difference :( Will try again.
I've linked a wikipedia article about bufferbloat in my previous comment. For thorough explanations you can read it from there.
But in short, it's undesirable added latency caused by routers/modems bufferring more data than necessary. Which can affect the responsiveness of network activity during high load. For example, when you're downloading something and browsing at the same time, you'll notice that web browser will less responsive and have increased time loading web page.

Upvote 0

ng4ever

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Feb 11, 2016
I've linked a wikipedia article about bufferbloat in my previous comment. For thorough explanations you can read it from there.
But in short, it's undesirable added latency caused by routers/modems bufferring more data than necessary. Which can affect the responsiveness of network activity during high load. For example, when you're downloading something and browsing at the same time, you'll notice that web browser will less responsive and have increased time loading web page.

Thanks.

Unfortunately I had to lower IDM Bandwidth limit to 5250 KB/sec for 2 tvs to work with a roku on each one with Directv Now without buffering/lagging :(

Upvote 0

ng4ever

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Feb 11, 2016
The weird part QOS works fine when Steam and Origin is downloading at full speed.

Directv now on the Rokus do not buffer at all.

Upvote 0

redsworn

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Dec 6, 2017
Thanks.

Unfortunately I had to lower IDM Bandwidth limit to 5250 KB/sec for 2 tvs to work with a roku on each one with Directv Now without buffering/lagging :(
The weird part QOS works fine when Steam and Origin is downloading at full speed.

It could also because the limitation of fq_codel queue discipline

Honestly, i've ran out of ideas. Maybe it's fq_codel limitation which unable to restrict multiple connection from the same host. I'm not really sure.
I'm using cake for my qdisc and AFAIK it's not available (yet) for your firmware. Cake qdisc in my experience so far is able to restrict IDM download and allocating fair bandwidth to all devices connected. I only getting held back by my router's CPU which kinda expected considering its age.

Upvote 0

ng4ever

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Feb 11, 2016
It could also because the limitation of fq_codel queue discipline

Honestly, i've ran out of ideas. Maybe it's fq_codel limitation which unable to restrict multiple connection from the same host. I'm not really sure.
I'm using cake for my qdisc and AFAIK it's not available (yet) for your firmware. Cake qdisc in my experience so far is able to restrict IDM download and allocating fair bandwidth to all devices connected. I only getting held back by my router's CPU which kinda expected considering its age.

Thanks for trying!

Upvote 0

ng4ever

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Feb 11, 2016
I think I figured out the issue.

When you were using IDM and downloading were you downloading from any Google servers ? Or no ?

Upvote 0

redsworn

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Dec 6, 2017
I think I figured out the issue.

When you were using IDM and downloading were you downloading from any Google servers ? Or no ?
Tested with youtube and some other websites. My qos works as intended. I didn't got the chance to test google drive if this what you refers to.

Upvote 0

ng4ever

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Feb 11, 2016
I found a maybe solution to my problem but it is kinda complicated. I was wondering if you could help me with it? If not it is ok. Not talking about the above post but something else.

Upvote 0

redsworn

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Dec 6, 2017
I found a maybe solution to my problem but it is kinda complicated. I was wondering if you could help me with it? If not it is ok. Not talking about the above post but something else.
Oh, i won't mind. But let's continue this via PM. We shouldn't drag around this thread anymore since nobody else looks like gonna jump in.
I'll test google drive as soon as i got the chance.

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.