If you had to choose a 3 piece security combo, what would it be?

D

Deleted member 178

My formula:

- 1 sandbox, to isolate browser and apps.
- 1 Anti-exe or SRP, to prevent execution of risky/unwanted processes.
- 1 rollback or virtualization soft to revert changes in the OS.

Win10 already has an anti-exploit so unless you already have HMPA or MBAE, you don't need to add one.

uninfected1

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2016
I was going to say The Jimi Hendrix Experience then I saw the word security in the OP.

I really would like to have Comodo firewall as part of my free combo but even thinking about it brings be out in a cold sweat after past nightmares. I would use SysHardener if it had a convenient way to revert to previous settings, not Windows default settings (I don't regard system restore as convenient and it's not always reliable here).

I use:
Kaspersky Security Cloud Free
OSArmor
Windows 7 firewall. Not that happy with it but I've had issues with every free third party firewall I've tried.
Nano adblocker and uMatrix

EDIT: I see the OP's now added the word 'security' to the title :)

Last edited:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
What I currently use:
  1. Windows 10 OS - Already includes Automatic Updates, Windows Defender Antivirus, Firewall and SmartScreen.
  2. NVT SysHardener - Further lockdown OS settings
  3. Google Chrome - Secure browser with security-boasting features, optional experimental flags, with extensions to further improve web privacy, and ensure a safer browsing experience.
Data Backups are excluded from post, but do exist on actual PC.

ichito

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 12, 2013
I would not use a separate Antivirus and a Firewall. I would use a suite like Bullguard, Eset, Kasperky and just pair it with a second-opinion scanner.

The more security products you add, the higher the issues you'll have to deal with.
Yyesss...but years ago some AV/IS was tested against its internal vulnerabilities and one of conclusions was that gaps in single protection layers/modules can interefere together making end effect more severe and dangerous. That's why I'm rather stick to app from deferent sources.

Last edited:

Quassar

Level 12
Verified
Well-known
Feb 10, 2012
Yyesss...but years ago some AV/IS was tested against its internal vulnerabilities and one of concusions was that gaps in single protection layers/modules can interefere together making end effect more severe and dangerous. That's why I'm rather stick to app from deferent sources.

Yea how in most "IS" 1 layer is good rest modules is placeboo security.
I used a lot custome build and i had rly rare time but rare time had issue mostly all work fine.

I guess poeples which have problem with software is not casue software make thier problem but thier pc components....
Where ppl buy crap part for save some dolars and later problem with eveything when need dosome thing more than just start clean system or even with it gonna make them issue.

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
1. Comodo Container w/ Comodo Firewall - mitigating the browser to a virtual environment/firewall protection
2. OSArmor w/ Syshardener - mitigating most exploits and reducing the attack surface
3. Netcraft/uBlock Origin/ScriptSafe - mitigating malvertising, phishing, Script exploits, unwanted content, iFrame & more

~LDogg

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.