If you had to choose a 3 piece security combo, what would it be?

imuade

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 29, 2018
Considering to keep on all the built-in security features of Windows 10 (WD, WF, SmartScreen), I'll choose:
  • ConfigureDefender
  • SysHardener
  • Re:HIPS
Lightweight, effective and no compatibility issues

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Considering to keep on all the built-in security features of Windows 10 (WD, WF, SmartScreen), I'll choose:
  • ConfigureDefender
  • SysHardener
  • Re:HIPS
Lightweight, effective and no compatibility issues
Looks good

Reactions: AtlBo

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Thanks shmu26! I was thinking at first, that Voodooshield was better as an anti-exe than OSArmor, so thank you for this tip.
Voodooshield will still be better at blocking signed malware, but if you are anyways tweaking OSA, you can make a custom block rule so it will do that, too.
Alternatively, you can move your Downloads folder off the C drive, and then OSA at max settings will block all downloads from executing.

Signed malware is anyways not such a big problem, because first of all, it is rare for a home user to get hit by it, and second because it will usually spawn an unsigned payload.

noob guy

Level 1
Verified
Oct 7, 2018
Voodooshield will still be better at blocking signed malware, but if you are anyways tweaking OSA, you can make a custom block rule so it will do that, too.
Alternatively, you can move your Downloads folder off the C drive, and then OSA at max settings will block all downloads from executing.

Signed malware is anyways not such a big problem, because first of all, it is rare for a home user to get hit by it, and second because it will usually spawn an unsigned payload.

Truly grateful for the education I am getting here, thanks again!

Windows_Security

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
On Windows 10 Home
- Simple Software Retriction Policy - SRP basic user with MSI run as admin tweak of Symantec - implemented
- SysHardener - disable corporate stuff which normal home users don't use anyway
- Configure defender - utilize all of Windows Defender

On Windows 7 home
- Comodo Cloud Antivirus - use sandbox rules for default deny and build your own set of trusted vendors
- SysHardener - disable corporate stuff which normal home users don't use anyway
- MemProtect free - search on this forum for example setups (e.g. allow chrome to access google folders only)

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
Firewall: Gryphon Router (I don't have one, pls buy me one lol)
AV: Emsisoft Antimalware
Ransomware protection: AOMEI Backupper Pro

If anything passes the FW and AV, I just restore a backup. Takes less time than a full system scan on an SSD and making sure the malware is truly gone.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.