I'm Me Configuration

I'm Me

Thread author
Verified
Sep 14, 2013
Backup: Windows 7 built in backup system

I want to be secure from viruses and malware without loading my computer down with a multitude of programs. I also don't know enough about what is safe and what is not to use a HIPS program and I don't think I would want the constant pop-ups.

I had Avast but it was interfering with my work, plus I got bothered when it failed to detect a trojan on my external hard drive. Malwarebytes detected it and got rid of it. It was an old hard drive that I hadn't used for a long time and I suspect the Trojan was responsible for the untimely demise of a few of my old computers. Thankfully, I've learned enough since then and now to scan stuff like that before running it.

I also don't like MSE.

I work from home and need my browsing speed and my computer to be very fast. I also don't need too many programs or extensions disrupting my ability to work. As it is, I find that I sometimes have to temporarily change one of my settings in order to work.

Thanks for reading,
~ I'm Me

3link9

Level 5
Verified
Oct 22, 2011
Nice config. Nothing really to change but do you have any plans to upgrade to IE10? Even if you dont use it, its a good idea to update it.

I'm Me

Thread author
Verified
Sep 14, 2013
3link9 said:
Nice config. Nothing really to change but do you have any plans to upgrade to IE10? Even if you dont use it, its a good idea to update it.

Thank you

Not at this time. One of my job sites has to be worked on IE. IE9 seems to work pretty good. IE10 has been blamed for some issues with that job site's webpage from what I've read. When the job takes me to a bunch of websites, I tend to resort to Sandboxie for a little extra protection.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I understand the work issue(s) with some software, but avast failing to detect 1 trojan on an external medium is not a good excuse to not use the program. If you have Autoplay/Autoruns disabled, you should not have contracted the trojan.

It's also it's a good idea to run scans on any external USB before loading or running from it.

I said:
I had Avast but it was interfering with my work, plus I got bothered when it failed to detect a trojan on my external hard drive.

I'm Me

Thread author
Verified
Sep 14, 2013
The trojan was contracted on my external hard drive many years ago. The external hard drive had not been in use. When I finally decided to use it recently, I scanned it first with Avast and then with Malwarebytes. Mbam found it and got rid of it. It did not get on my laptop's hard drive as far as I know.

You may be right about Avast but I was already sick of it so it's failure to detect the Trojan just made me finished with it all together since I was already unhappy with it.

Thanks,
~ It's Me

I'm Me

Thread author
Verified
Sep 14, 2013
WalterWolf said:
You tried Comodo Internet Security ?

Comodo products are alright but I just don't like how difficult it is to get them off of my computer. Almost as bad as trying to get a virus off of the computer.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I'm Me

Thread author
Verified
Sep 14, 2013
I did a system restore on my computer yesterday to get rid of the lingering traces of KeyScrambler and forgot to prevent IE from updating itself. So I now have IE10. I guess I'll try it for a bit and see if it gets in the way of my work before I try rolling back to IE9.

xpressive

Level 1
Verified
Jul 28, 2013
Nice config, but i would recommend chrome against firefox for speed.
three browser are overkill. :)

WalterWolf

Level 3
Verified
Jan 28, 2013
xpressive said:
Nice config, but i would recommend chrome against firefox for speed.
three browser are overkill. :)

FireFox is better i started to use it yesterday.It's faster than Chrome,and there is privacy problem on Chrome(cookies).

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
WalterWolf, have you a source for that I can read for "there is privacy problem on Chrome(cookies)"?

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Thanks, but it's still OK to use Chrome.

It's still in concept and planning stages, scaring users to not use Chrome is ridiculous.

MalwareVirus

Level 1
Oct 6, 2012
"It's still in concept and planning stages, scaring users to not use Chrome is ridiculous"
Use Firefox :lolz:
Chromium is also good but really i don't have problem if google uses my web browsing habbit for their ad perpose :)

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
It's a good browser, like Chromium, Firefox, Opera 12.x and Next and IE9+ and they all have a flaws. So why not to use them..

I'm Me

Thread author
Verified
Sep 14, 2013
Hi,

I use Firefox as my regular browser. I use Chrome for my Google Voice calls and for my banking needs. I like Chrome's sandboxed tabs. I use IE for work purposes because the company requires it.

I also recently downloaded Opera 16 in order to spoof IE.

Thanks,
~ I'm Me

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.