Improved/Advanced configuration Kaspersky IS/AV/PURE

Status
Not open for further replies.

KLMALWAREHUNTER

Level 3
Thread author
Oct 20, 2012
Well, in this guide are going to explain how improve the detecction and the security of Kaspersky IS AV and PURE.

Following this steps you can obtain a best configured and improved product.

Advanced Configuration

Open the Kaspersky GUI and select the option "Settings"
RcDQJ.png

---
First that appear is "General Settings"
We marked all the options that see in the image:

Enable Protecction
Select action automatically
Do not delete possibly infected objects
Launch Kaspersky Internet Security at computer startup

Rwpt5.png

---
We go now to configurate File Anti-Virus
We go to Security level and put in High, now we go to Action On a Threat Detection and mark the action Delete
cTvIt.png

---
We go now to configurate Mail Anti-Virus
We go to Security level and put in High, now we go to Action On a Threat Detection and mark the action Delete
EKzXX.png

---
We go now to configurate Web Anti-Virus
We go to Security level and put in High, now we go to Actions On a Threat Detection and mark the action Block Download
MMCMh.png

---
We go now to configurate IM Anti-Virus
We go to Protection Scope and mark the option Incoming and outgoing messages, now we go to Scan Methods and put the Heuristic Analysis in Deep Scan
CC9FO.png

---
We go now to Application Control and leave the default options
izT9v.png

---
We go now to System Watcher and leave the default options
tsogg.png

---
We go now to Firewall and leave the default options. The FW are automatic configurated to work very well and its not necessary do nothing beacause he do all.
4Izso.png

---
We go now to Network Attack Blocker and leave the default options.
F7X3Q.png

---
We go now to configurate Anti-Spam we go to Security Level and mark the option High. Addiotanaly if you use a mail program you can train Anti-Spam for improve more the detection.
Xz40k.png

---
Now we go to configurate Anti-Banner and mark the option Enable Anti-Banner [This block the banners in Internet and in Some programs, this do that the web pages load more fast]
9yRXl.png

---
Safe Money and Secure Data Input we are going to leave in default options.
Cy8tZ.png

IEZ5b.png

---
SCANS
We are now to configure the scan

First we go to General Settings mark the option Perform Idle Scan and Perform Regular Rootkit Scan, now go to Scan removable drives on conection and mark the option Full Scan
3AUYw.png

---
Now we go to configurate the Full Scan go to Security Level and put in option High, now go to Action on a threat detection and mark the option Delete
PORCU.png

---
We are now to configure Critical Areas Scan put the security level in High and go to Action on threat detection and mark the option Delete
8xke8.png

We are now to Settings, Additional and mark the options Rootkit Scan and Detailed Scan and press OK
IkOpc.png

---
We are now to configurate Custom Scan go to Security Level and put in High, now go to Action on a threat detection and mark the option Delete
btKQK.png

---
Now go to Vulnerability Scan and leave default
UZTQ2.png

UPDATE

We are leave default options in update settings
orWrg.png

Advanced Settings

We are now to configurate the Advanced Options

We go to Threats and Exclusions and go to Settings, in Objects for detection enable the box OTHER and press OK
7ToUA.png

CmjDT.png

---
We go to Self Defense and leave the default options.
gFjXd.png

---
We go now to Network and go to Monitored Ports and mark the option Monitor All Network Ports
Xckkx.png

---
We go now to Feedback and mark the option I agree to participate in Kaspersky Security Network if you dont have previously marked. This have you a better level of protection.
UNM5y.png

---

The options Battery Saving, Compatibility, Notifications, Reports and Quaratine, Game Profile, Appearence, Parental Control and Manage Settings must be leave in default configuration.

After configurate all this options press the box "Apply" and "OK"
8NCGI.png

Author Notes:

vp6pA.png
UC2B5.png

Maked all by KLMALWAREHUNTER team.

Thanks for reading!

madyrocksin

Jul 30, 2012
You can name it KIS paranoid mode :p
btw can you provide some links to explore KIS HIPS ???
and i have a grave problem, whenever i try to launch CyberGhost, KIS crashes ya it crashes and action center tells me that KIS is turned off :( any solution ???

KLMALWAREHUNTER

Level 3
Thread author
Oct 20, 2012
madyrocksin said:
You can name it KIS paranoid mode :p
btw can you provide some links to explore KIS HIPS ???
and i have a grave problem, whenever i try to launch CyberGhost, KIS crashes ya it crashes and action center tells me that KIS is turned off :( any solution ???

Nah, the paranoid more have a lot of other configurations, this is an advanced mode :p

What do you mean with links to explore?

If have problems of compatibilities/crashes you must contact with K support of 2 ways:

Or opening a topic in the official forum: http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showforum=156

Or opening a ticket in support: http://support.kaspersky.com/helpdesk.html

Take care.

KLMALWAREHUNTER

Level 3
Thread author
Oct 20, 2012
madyrocksin said:
KLMALWAREHUNTER said:

i mean to help understand it better how it works or the options available

The Kaspersky Lab products implements Host-based Intrusion Prevention System (HIPS). The system detects unwanted and malicious program activity and blocks it in real-time. Advanced Kaspersky Lab technologies enable HIPS responses to only be initiated for dangerous and unwanted events without affecting the operation of safe programs. This ensures a high level of protection for users that doesn't affect the performance of the computer.

Here have an article: http://me.kaspersky.com/en/images/hips_whitepaper-55-75828.pdf is of a old version.

Now the HIPS are provied by File Anti-Virus, Application Control and System Watcher and are basically automated.

This other link can help you to know better KIS: http://support.kaspersky.com/kis2013/info

Take care

madyrocksin

Jul 30, 2012
KLMALWAREHUNTER said:
madyrocksin said:
KLMALWAREHUNTER said:

i mean to help understand it better how it works or the options available

The Kaspersky Lab products implements Host-based Intrusion Prevention System (HIPS). The system detects unwanted and malicious program activity and blocks it in real-time. Advanced Kaspersky Lab technologies enable HIPS responses to only be initiated for dangerous and unwanted events without affecting the operation of safe programs. This ensures a high level of protection for users that doesn't affect the performance of the computer.

Here have an article: http://me.kaspersky.com/en/images/hips_whitepaper-55-75828.pdf is of a old version.

Now the HIPS are provied by File Anti-Virus, Application Control and System Watcher and are basically automated.

This other link can help you to know better KIS: http://support.kaspersky.com/kis2013/info

Take care

P

Plexx

My impression or the customization is based on maxing everything out?

I am sure there are some settings that don't need to be on high/maxed out for optimal usage.

One more question: why always delete as opposed to attempt to disinfect objects? What is wrong with such option? Is it not viable despite being available in the product?

Tom172

Level 1
Feb 11, 2011
Personally I just leave all the setting at default. Kaspersky is so powerful out of the box I don't really feel the need to change anything.

P

Plexx

I remember Jack had a guide here that tweaked a bit and I actually applied the tweaks on KAV 2012 for some time until I had to swap it for another vendor due to lag and FPS drops.

KLMALWAREHUNTER

Level 3
Thread author
Oct 20, 2012
Biozfear said:
My impression or the customization is based on maxing everything out?

I am sure there are some settings that don't need to be on high/maxed out for optimal usage.

You opinion ;)
One more question: why always delete as opposed to attempt to disinfect objects? What is wrong with such option? Is it not viable despite being available in the product?
Beacause the desinfection process take more time that delete hte infected object, and this process normally only works for Viruses that is a very little percetage of the malwares.

So the 95% of the objects fail in desinfection and must be deleted, a lost of time that disapear with this option directly.

Take care.

madyrocksin

Jul 30, 2012
Tom172 said:
Personally I just leave all the setting at default. Kaspersky is so powerful out of the box I don't really feel the need to change anything.

i think out of the box KIS is a bit overpowered, some small changes can achieve great performances, i want to configure it manually becoz i would love to see how is it working :D

KLMALWAREHUNTER

Level 3
Thread author
Oct 20, 2012
Tom172 said:

Using the default setting, a high percentage of PUP/Adwares and Not-A-Virus are not deteccted, beacause by default the box "Other" is disabled. And with default conf the application cant detect the same that if put in high mode.

With this configuration, the computer dont use a lot of more RAM or resources and increment the power of detection and protection.

Take care.

KLMALWAREHUNTER

Level 3
Thread author
Oct 20, 2012
Biozfear said:
I remember Jack had a guide here that tweaked a bit and I actually applied the tweaks on KAV 2012 for some time until I had to swap it for another vendor due to lag and FPS drops.

I think that this is exagerated. More than 300 millions of computers have installed a Kaspersky product, if all get freezed i think that tech support get a lot of naggings.

I have installed hundreds of Kaspersky solutions and the persons who say that is ultra heavy is a very little percentage.

In computer with 2, 3, and 4 GB of ram work without problems. The development team are constantly performing the engine to make more ligth, and the lasts versions are not very heavy on system.

Take care.

madyrocksin

Jul 30, 2012
Me too don't think that KIS is a heavy program, obviously you can't compare it with ESET or NIS they are very light, but the old image of KIS that it is very heavy is no more relevant i guess,
i m sure there are popular products which are heavier than KIS or very near to KIS system performance.
Its been 2 days since i installed KIS and i don't feel a real slow down even though i have migrated form ESET,
People should give KIS a try and let it settle down in your system and then decide,
can't really say about Gamers :p may or may not impact it ;)

P

Plexx

KLMALWAREHUNTER said:
Biozfear said:

I think that this is exagerated. More than 300 millions of computers have installed a Kaspersky product, if all get freezed i think that tech support get a lot of naggings.

I have installed hundreds of Kaspersky solutions and the persons who say that is ultra heavy is a very little percentage.

In computer with 2, 3, and 4 GB of ram work without problems. The development team are constantly performing the engine to make more ligth, and the lasts versions are not very heavy on system.

Take care.

I am not sure if you have read it properly but I never said KAV/KIS froze on me. What I said was drops on FPS and increase on lag for online gaming. I am on a high end laptop specifically for gaming and 2012/2013 are heavy for a gamer, whether you like it or not.

The average user who just surfs the web and uses MS Office would not really notice it being heavy.

No one ever said Kaspersky is ultra heavy, but sure as hell is heavier than most vendors for specific needs.

It is fine if you give your personal opinion but displaying "fanboyism" for the sake of imposing your opinion ain't really working here.

Also, when referring to a solution being light or heavy does not mean RAM consumption only (as you mentioned computers with 2, 3 and 4GB RAM). There are other factors to take into consideration.

madyrocksin

Jul 30, 2012
Biozfear said:
KLMALWAREHUNTER said:
Biozfear said:

Take care.

I am not sure if you have read it properly but I never said KAV/KIS froze on me. What I said was drops on FPS and increase on lag for online gaming. I am on a high end laptop specifically for gaming and 2012/2013 are heavy for a gamer, whether you like it or not.

The average user who just surfs the web and uses MS Office would not really notice it being heavy.

No one ever said Kaspersky is ultra heavy, but sure as hell is heavier than most vendors for specific needs.

It is fine if you give your personal opinion but displaying "fanboyism" for the sake of imposing your opinion ain't really working here.

Also, when referring to a solution being light or heavy does not mean RAM consumption only (as you mentioned computers with 2, 3 and 4GB RAM). There are other factors to take into consideration.

what was the setting you were using, i mean default or ???

P

Plexx

madyrocksin said:

version 2012 and 2013 was basically 3 types: Jack's ones, some recommendations from elliotcroft and also default.

All against a few days of online gaming each set of settings.

madyrocksin

Jul 30, 2012
Biozfear said:
madyrocksin said:

version 2012 and 2013 was basically 3 types: Jack's ones, some recommendations from elliotcroft and also default.

All against a few days of online gaming each set of settings.

for online gaming did you try to exclude it from firewall/antivirus ???
i see KIS configuration is kinda a real pain, its not that simple :(

P

Plexx

any AV solution I use, games are always excluded just to be on the safe side. Only one I could not do was WSA since it didn't have that option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.