Windows built-in

imuade

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 29, 2018
Now might be the time to re-visit VoodooShield or VS Pro. I don't know if this is common knowledge, but if you get a 3 year license Dan converts to lifetime. Pro version is stronger & it is much improved. Then your system is locked down with negligible weight. PM me if you want the Pro license details. :whistle: No, I am not an employee of VS nor a major fanboy. :LOL::LOL::LOL:
Thanks, but I'm fine with SysHardener and OSArmor :)
Plus, NoVirusThanks is an Italian Company and I'm Italian too ;)

imuade

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 29, 2018
Re:HIPS free or paid? Really interested how it does
Free version, I'm using it as anti-exe rather than as sandbox
Do you find that ReHIPS feels lighter than OSA?
I think they are almost the same, but Re:HIPS uses a bit more RAM (around 70Mb vs. around 20Mb).
I like the learning mode of Re:HIPS, it makes it easy to whitelist apps

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Update 22/12/2018
Removed Re:HIPS
Updated Windows 10 to 1809 version
Added AndyFul's Run-by-Smartscreen

I'm wondering if it's worth to replace CleanBrowsing DNS with Neustar DNS or keweon DNS :unsure::unsure::unsure:

Merry Christmas to everybody !!!
I used neustar for a while, it blocks warez sites wich is kinda helpful to avoid anything illegal....their servers are in USA and since im at eu, im getting faster page loads with google/cloudflare so i have stayed with cloudflare for now, since they have dnsEncrypt i guess(?) After all the page loads are that fast anyways i really cant say wich dns im using if i had to guess

I have never tried keweon, so i would suggest trying that out and see the results
Anyway happy holidays (y):coffee:

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Merry Christmas to you, too. :giggle:
By the way, you had some good setups with 3rd party AVs - probably as good as the actual one. Why did you change them to WD (I am just curious)?(y)

imuade

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 29, 2018
Merry Christmas to you, too. :giggle:
By the way, you had some good setups with 3rd party AVs - probably as good as the actual one. Why did you change them to WD (I am just curious)?(y)
Mainly to avoid issues during updates.
I used comodo for years with Vista and 7, but I got many headaches with Windows 10.
Then, I tried several 3rd party AVs, but they all had issues, so I switched to WD tuned by your great SWs :)

Andy Ful

Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
I used comodo for years with Vista and 7, but I got many headaches with Windows 10.
Then, I tried several 3rd party AVs, but they all had issues, so I switched to WD tuned by your great SWs :)
I followed the similar road.:giggle:(y)
If you have any questions about ConfigureDefender or RunBySmartScreen, then PM or post to MT thread.(y)

Last edited:

imuade

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 29, 2018
I followed the similar road.:giggle:(y)
If you have any questions about ConfigureDefender or RunBySmartScreen, then PM or post to MT thread.(y)
Ok thanks :) But they are very easy to set and use, so I'm totally fine with them :)
I was thinking to give Hard_Configurator a try, but I'm worry I may break something on my system :p

Andy Ful

Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Ok thanks :) But they are very easy to set and use, so I'm totally fine with them :)
I was thinking to give Hard_Configurator a try, but I'm worry I may break something on my system :p
It is made to be safe, so no worry. But, you probably do not need it. Furthermore, H_C requires some learning to make the proper whitelisting - that is the price for using the default-deny setup. Your actual setup is optimal for many users, who are not happy clickers and remember to use RunBySmartScreen for unknown/unsafe files.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018

@Andy Ful is quite right. H_C won't break anything, but the question is do you need it? Even I used it but no longer since I have VS Pro. It's just easier for me and most importantly the wife! Nice setup! (y)

imuade

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 29, 2018
Update 27/12/2018
Switched from CleanBrowsing DNS to keweon DNS.
keweonDNS - now with DoH on INTRA
It looks good in blocking ads, even if they don't have a cosmetic feature, so you see a blank rectangle instead of the ad.
About malware blocking, I can't say, but I think Google safe browsing is already enough

imuade

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 29, 2018
Update 01/01/2019
Since I have some more days off before going back to work, I've made a backup of my system and then I've made a fresh installation to try a new setup:
  • Kaspersky Security Cloud Free
  • NVT SysHardener
  • MBR filter
Let's see how's going :)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.