Windows built-in

imuade

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 29, 2018
Side note: when I removed RansomOff, it deleted all the icon I had in my taskbar, plus the saved passwords on Chromium... don't know why...

imuade

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 29, 2018
Update 02/09/2018
Removed Forticlient because of no signature updates on weekends, now just using its Web Filtering module
Added Avast Free (File Shield only) with Hardened Mode on Aggressive
Replaced Cloudflare DNS with CleanBrowsing DNS (Security Filter)

imuade

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 29, 2018
I really like this setup, it's very light and it covers all the protection layers without too many overlaps

First line: CleanBrowsing DNS (Security Filter)
Web Protection: Fortinet Forticlient Web Filtering
Vulnerability scan: Fortinet Forticlient Web Filtering
Outbound-alerting FW: Binisoft WFC
Traditional (blacklist-based) AV: Avast Free (File Shield only)
Default-deny (whitelist-based) AV: Avast Hardened Mode (Aggressive)
Second opinion: AdwCleaner, HitmanPro, Zemana AntiMalware
Behavior Blocker: NoVirusThanks OSArmor (Main protections settings)
Anti-exe: NoVirusThanks OSArmor (Advanced settings)
Exploit mitigation: NoVirusThanks OSArmor (Anti-Exploit settings)
Attack surface reduction: NoVirusThanks SysHardener
Privacy enforcing: Windows Privacy Dashboard, O&O ShutUp10
Ad-blocker: uBlock Origin

Last edited:

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Mind sharing advanced settings? I think sh covers most for me, but have to take look on osa advanced settings

Damn i love this
edgeblock.png

imuade

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 29, 2018
What happens to every AV/soft.... "Manana y adios"! :LOL:
Yeah, I tried several AVs, but I got the same problem with all of them: CPU spikes while browsing.
Then, I tried Forticlient (which doesn't have a BB) and CPU spikes disappeared, so I decided to try again Avast with field shield only (no behavior shield and no web shield) and again I got rid of CPU spikes :)
Forticlient's signatures are probably better than Avast's (higher detection rate), but Avast's Hardened Mode is much better against zero-day

Reactions: harlan4096

imuade

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 29, 2018
Update 16/09/2018
Avast got some problems after the Patch Tuesday update. Plus, I read about Windows Defender getting better, so I decided to give it a try... and I was quite surprised because it's very light on RAM and nearly no impact on CPU and disk usage.
I coupled it with ConfigureDefender to increase security and added my SW to the exclusions to speed up the execution.
I've also removed Forticlient Web Filtering because it gave me strange errors in Windows Event Viewer.

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Update 16/09/2018
Avast got some problems after the Patch Tuesday update. Plus, I read about Windows Defender getting better, so I decided to give it a try... and I was quite surprised because it's very light on RAM and nearly no impact on CPU and disk usage.
I coupled it with ConfigureDefender to increase security and added my SW to the exclusions to speed up the execution.
I've also removed Forticlient Web Filtering because it gave me strange errors in Windows Event Viewer.
Forticlient web filter probably working fine with only the forticlient av, what i have been using it along with avast , comodo products and always theres some kind of error. Probably web filter should not to be run stacked with other antivirus software wich is already scanning web traffic

Reactions: oldschool

imuade

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 29, 2018
Forticlient web filter probably working fine with only the forticlient av, what i have been using it along with avast , comodo products and always theres some kind of error. Probably web filter should not to be run stacked with other antivirus software wich is already scanning web traffic
For sure it slowed down boot and shutdown. With WD both are much quicker

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
But since windows defender is working out of chrome + firefox , without tweaking it ( well you did) forticlient probably would work smoothly with WD

With cf its buggy i guess, sometimes its turned on sometimes not, sometimes its on and fails to connect browser to internet because of sll error, when you turn hips on , the hips will always conflict with forticlient even you add it to trusted files

Reactions: oldschool

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Update 16/09/2018

You have finally joined the dark side! :)

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
I was quite skeptical because of my past experience, but now WD is really quiet on my PC :)

Now might be the time to re-visit VoodooShield or VS Pro. I don't know if this is common knowledge, but if you get a 3 year license Dan converts to lifetime. Pro version is stronger & it is much improved. Then your system is locked down with negligible weight. PM me if you want the Pro license details. :whistle: No, I am not an employee of VS nor a major fanboy. :LOL::LOL::LOL:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.