In The Wild Rogues

Antimalware18

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 17, 2014
This was a random question that popped into my head yesterday while I had some down time at work.

In today's age of Ransomware, are there anymore true In-The-Wild rogue antivirus applications anymore?

I still remember cleaning infected computers 10+ years ago and the main problem I ran into on clients/friends pc's was Rogue antivirus applications.

This thread was created just as a general question as well as a little bit of nostalgia on my part.

I miss those days :)

Last edited:

Prayag

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Mar 27, 2017
Those are alive even now as far as i think.
Maybe your security is more tight than that time. That's why they aren't visible to you.
This is the same case with me,now since i have understood security deeply,i haven't seen any such thing too.

Antimalware18

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 17, 2014
EDIT: meant to put on clients/friends PC's. I never had a rogue infection in my life somehow. I did have a Virtumonde infection
by playing around with a XP-Vista transformation pack.

I do believe Virtumonde did download rogues but I stopped that one before it could.

Winter Soldier

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
Nowadays the best AVs have the monopoly, even little-known but effective products haven't an easy life.
Defenx for example, who use it? But it is a decent product.
People consider the usual ones: Avast, AVG, BitDefender etc... many rogue/fake AVs would be simply ignored.
Of course, someone always falls into the trap.. :D

Reactions: Antimalware18

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.