Version or Build no.
    System type
    64-bit operating system; x64-based processor
    User Access Control
    Never Notify
    Network Security (Firewall)
    3rd-party Firewall app by a trusted vendor
    Device Security
  • Windows Defender SmartScreen (Windows 10)
  • User Account
    Sign-in Accounts
    Malware Testing
    I do not participate in downloading malware samples
    Real-time Web & Malware Protection
    Mcafee Internet Security 2016, Iobit Malware Fighter 3.4
    RTP - Custom security settings
  • Virus and Malware Removal Tools
    Mcafee Internet Security 2016, Iobit Malware Fighter 3.4
    Browsers and Extensions
    Firefox, Ghostery, AdBlock Plus
    Privacy-focused Apps and Extensions
    AdBlock Plus
    Password Managers
  • Random Password Generator
  • System Utilities
    Iobit Advanced System Care, PrivaZer
    Frequency of Data backups
    Frequency of System backups
    Occasionally

Dirk41

Level 17
    Verified
    guys, i read sometimes you suggest to enable smartscreen. but on MS community they told me it works only with IE or edge. so if you don't use them,isn't it useless to enable it?

DJ Panda

Level 29
    Verified
    guys, i read sometimes you suggest to enable smartscreen. but on MS community they told me it works only with IE or edge. so if you don't use them,isn't it useless to enable it?
    Smart screen activates a file that isn't entirely known and may possibly be unsafe. It runs in the background but only notifies you if you run a suspicious file.

D

Deleted Member 333v73x

He is running Windows Vista, he can't enable SmartScreen (apart from in IE) and enabling UAC to at least default is necessary.

Reactions: DJ Panda and Dirk41

Soulweave

Verified
    Content Creator
    Staff member
    Every other company had its shady side of business.

The real reason behind the Iobit MF not to be recommended is exactly the quality of the product, not the past of the company. No denial that Iobit has decent solutions but its MF is not up to par with the competition.

Advising to use a free antivirus when OP is using Mcafee Internet Security 2016 without giving any info is not really helping OP in understanding, when OP does share his config to be open for feedback.

Not to mention McAfee is a decent solution on its own.

DJ Panda

Level 29
    Verified
    Every other company had its shady side of business.

Advising to use a free antivirus when OP is using Mcafee Internet Security 2016 without giving any info is not really helping OP in understanding, when OP does share his config to be open for feedback.

Not to mention McAfee is a decent solution on its own.
    He must have updated the config I never saw McAfee. Or the Vista tend to assume everyone's running Windows 10. Not that there is anything wrong with that. I have my Windows Vista computer from childhood in great condition. :D

vrb93

Level 5
    UAC is really helpful, if not mandatory in this case since you're using an operating system that's not receiving updates anymore.
    I would also replace (as stated) IoBit with Zemana Antimalware Free, Malwarebytes Free and/or Emsisoft Emergency Kit as on-demand scanners :)

N

Noxx

Everyone's covered my concerns. If anything, UAC is a MUST. Thanks for sharing your config. :)

He is running Windows Vista, he can't enable SmartScreen (apart from in IE) and enabling UAC to at least default is necessary.
    UAC Interferes with my quadriplegic software

UAC is really helpful, if not mandatory in this case since you're using an operating system that's not receiving updates anymore.
    I would also replace (as stated) IoBit with Zemana Antimalware Free, Malwarebytes Free and/or Emsisoft Emergency Kit as on-demand scanners :)
    Windows vista is still reciving updates

Last edited by a moderator:

Azure

Level 24
    Verified
    Content Creator
    While the majority recommends to enable UAC. I will also suggest to take time to read the following articles/thread that one of the Malwaretips staff Umbra posted
    What is UAC?
    Afterwards you can choose for yourself whether or not you see UAC as useful.

Reactions: DJ Panda

jamescv7

Level 61
    Verified
    Trusted
    You really want a companion program? Why not try to have SecureAplus or Crystal Security, however McAfee IS is already a good product.