Maintenance tools
Iobit Advanced System Care, PrivaZer

Dirk41

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 17, 2016
guys, i read sometimes you suggest to enable smartscreen. but on MS community they told me it works only with IE or edge. so if you don't use them,isn't it useless to enable it?

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
guys, i read sometimes you suggest to enable smartscreen. but on MS community they told me it works only with IE or edge. so if you don't use them,isn't it useless to enable it?

Smart screen activates a file that isn't entirely known and may possibly be unsafe. It runs in the background but only notifies you if you run a suspicious file.

D

Deleted Member 333v73x

He is running Windows Vista, he can't enable SmartScreen (apart from in IE) and enabling UAC to at least default is necessary.

Reactions: DJ Panda and Dirk41

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015

Every other company had its shady side of business.

The real reason behind the Iobit MF not to be recommended is exactly the quality of the product, not the past of the company. No denial that Iobit has decent solutions but its MF is not up to par with the competition.

Advising to use a free antivirus when OP is using Mcafee Internet Security 2016 without giving any info is not really helping OP in understanding, when OP does share his config to be open for feedback.

Not to mention McAfee is a decent solution on its own.

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
Every other company had its shady side of business.

Advising to use a free antivirus when OP is using Mcafee Internet Security 2016 without giving any info is not really helping OP in understanding, when OP does share his config to be open for feedback.

Not to mention McAfee is a decent solution on its own.

He must have updated the config I never saw McAfee. Or the Vista tend to assume everyone's running Win10. Not that there is anything wrong with that. I have my Windows Vista computer from childhood in great condition. :D

vrb93

Level 5
Verified
Jan 15, 2014
UAC is really helpful, if not mandatory in this case since you're using an operating system that's not receiving updates anymore.
I would also replace (as stated) IoBit with Zemana Antimalware Free, Malwarebytes Free and/or Emsisoft Emergency Kit as on-demand scanners :)

N

Noxx

Everyone's covered my concerns. If anything, UAC is a MUST. Thanks for sharing your config. :)

Inacio Moreira

Level 1
Thread author
Mar 3, 2016
He is running Windows Vista, he can't enable SmartScreen (apart from in IE) and enabling UAC to at least default is necessary.
UAC Interferes with my quadriplegic software

UAC is really helpful, if not mandatory in this case since you're using an operating system that's not receiving updates anymore.
I would also replace (as stated) IoBit with Zemana Antimalware Free, Malwarebytes Free and/or Emsisoft Emergency Kit as on-demand scanners :)
Windows vista is still reciving updates

Last edited by a moderator:

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
While the majority recommends to enable UAC. I will also suggest to take time to read the following articles/thread that one of the MalwareTips staff Umbra posted
What is UAC?
Afterwards you can choose for yourself whether or not you see UAC as useful.

Reactions: DJ Panda

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
You really want a companion program? Why not try to have SecureAplus or Crystal Security, however McAfee IS is already a good product.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.