Advice Request Incompatible with Windows 7??

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
A friend just told me that his computer technician told him that his low-end AMD laptop, purchased with Windows 10, is incompatible with Windows 7.
Can such a thing be? If so, why?
This friend is allergic to technological change (and perhaps changes in general) and yearns to go back to Windows 7.

Brahman

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2013
A friend just told me that his computer technician told him that his low-end AMD laptop, purchased with Windows 10, is incompatible with Windows 7.
Can such a thing be? If so, why?
This friend is allergic to technological change (and perhaps changes in general) and yearns to go back to Windows 7.
Ryzen are not officially supported in windows 7, but it can be installed with some caveats. See this How To Get Ryzen Working on Windows 7 x64

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016

Vitali Ortzi

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 12, 2016
So after querying the friend again, the technician did not say it's impossible, but that it's too much work. I will try to get the CPU info from him...
you can get the extended security updates from guides on websites like mydigitallife.
but if it's only a UI that he dislikes you can always make use of windows 7 UI on 10.
performance and security are better on 10 if it's not because of software incapability please advise him to upgrade to 10.

Last edited:
Reactions: roger_m and Brahman

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
performance and security are better on 10 if it's not because of software incapability please advise him to upgrade to 10.
It's more complex than that.

If you're afraid of heights today, you're not going to attempt a bungie jump or go sky-diving tomorrow.

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
It's more complex than that.

If you're afraid of heights today, you're not going to attempt a bungie jump or go sky-diving tomorrow.
This fellow seems to hold on principle that newer is worse. Not much to do about that. I recommended Windows 10 to him years ago, and he is still complaining to me about it, and also about every version of MS Office later than Office 2007. He just wants the past, and that's it.

Vitali Ortzi

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 12, 2016
This fellow seems to hold on principle that newer is worse. Not much to do about that. I recommended Windows 10 to him years ago, and he is still complaining to me about it, and also about every version of MS Office later than Office 2007. He just wants the past, and that's it.
So is he technophobic ?
Or he fears privacy when using newer version of windows?
Anyway use the extended security updates till he gets mental help.
A good thing would be to at least advise him to use libre official with 2007 UI.

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
So is he technophobic ?
Or he fears privacy when using newer version of windows?
Anyway use the extended security updates till he gets mental help.
It's a philosophical issue, not a mental one.

• Applause
Reactions: dinosaur07

Vitali Ortzi

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 12, 2016
It's a philosophical issue, not a mental one.
Extended security updates hardening of lolbins and critical windows processes , hit man pro Alert ,SEP as a firewall IPS since it's a laptop .
would be a good workaround for some vectors.
And use cloudflare warp+ on public networks .
you can find a script on GitHub to run it on a laptop via wireguard.

Reactions: harlan4096

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.