Guide | How To Increase windows 7 performance in 4 easy steps

The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.
P

Plexx

Thread author
Point 1: I find it hard to believe it would increase much of performance. There are better ways when it comes to that.

Point 3: Is the writer for real in Disabling UAC? I see he had to add a note after some of the posts against that controversial point but one thing is increasing performance, another is decreasing security without increasing performance whatsoever.

Reactions: WinXPert

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Not really a good article especially disabling the UAC.He took quite a beating in the comments...lol.As Biozfear pointed out,there doesnt seem to be anything in the 4 steps that would make a difference.I should say 3 steps if you subtract the UAC,which never should have been suggested anyway.

Reactions: WinXPert

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Increase windows 7 performance:

1. Upgrade to a faster multicore processor.
2. Install more RAM.
3. Upgrade motherboard and BIOS
4. Buy a new high performance system.

(If that don't work maybe you need to visit MyCleanPC, CleanUpMyPc, FinallyFast, DoubleMySpeed, MaxMySpeed, etc. I'm sure they can scam you into paying more money than what your system is worth.) Just joking.:p

Enjoy!!:D

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
you can also use my guide : http://malwaretips.com/Thread-How-to-increase-responsiveness-of-your-Windows-system

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Guess this would be good if you don't have a powerful machine for Windows 7, but the best thing would be to go with Littlebits said.

Payback

Verified
Jan 7, 2013
Pfffffttttt. I go better find spare-parts (better graphics card,like NvIdea's latest card (lol I forgot it's name),then find better processor etc.)

Amiga500

Level 12
Verified
Jan 27, 2013
Disabling the UAC is not good advice in my opinion.Especially when running as a standard user.

Detection

Level 1
Feb 25, 2011
Those are steps that might improve the performance of your machine if it was 10+ years old maybe, any modern machine doesn't need those changes at all

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
In my opinion, most of the laptops and desktop when bought have enough significant hardware in order to work for Windows 7.

The thing which may generally contributed is when transparency/aero features works but to save more speed then may put on "Classic Theme".

Delete any unnecessary files using safe cleaner like "CCleaner, SlimCleaner or others".

TechHelper

Level 2
Verified
Jul 21, 2014
At times when you can't upgrade at the time, you could adjust all of the performance options to take away animations and things of the nature (temporary fix).

D

Deleted member 21043

Thread author
Disabling UAC is a bad idea... As mentioned above. The writer was clearly out of his mind when he wrote the article, I'm sure he knows now not to mention disabling it on any other article he writes ever again.

Anyway, if you need to make Windows run faster, some of the following things really helped when I had Windows 7 on my old 1gb RAM, Intel ATOM 1.6ghz processor netbook:
  • No Desktop Background. When I say NO background, I really mean: no custom images etc. Just have a plain color background selected from settings. Don't set your background as a color of a image as it will make it slower. Even though I think Windows does that anyway after selecting a color. But there is a difference... I remember. Depending on your PC specs, you won't feel any difference at all.
  • Keep a clean Desktop at all times. This means having a folder on your desktop to store all the items you would normally fill your Desktop up with, or saving files elsewhere. A clean desktop does actually improve your PC speed, as when you go to your desktop behind all your apps it isn't as laggy and is quick to load right.
  • Change your Windows Theme. Change your Windows theme to a theme which does not support Aero, as in, a theme without Aero included. This SHOULD lower RAM usage and performance. On low spec devices, Aero is a massive hog (or was for me at least). :)
Some other suggestions from me include:
  • Less clutter - what I mean is, less junk on your computer. Only download what you need or usually use. Don't randomly download apps and files whilst being click happy. I have lots of experience of being click happy, don't do it. It's not a good idea, I stopped as well. :confused:
  • Try a cleaning program such as CCleaner, Advanced System Care or Glary Utilities. I recommend CCleaner for a general PC user, if you are not knowledgable when it comes to cleaning programs please stay away from Advanced System Care and Glary Utilities. If you don't and don't know what your doing, your likely to mess up your registry. I have had lots of practise with it :D Don't laugh, I know Malware Hunters who made the mistake I did too... :D :p
  • Disable animations - I am sure you can disable Animations on Windows somehow for minimizing and maximizing apps. This also can enhance performance when using your PC.
  • Disable Window Form shadows in settings (control panel).
  • Try using a lightweight Antivirus such as webroot. Personally, I have never used Webroot but if you need the memory a lightweight Anti-virus/Anti-malware solution is essential. You can find a lightweight Antivirus which is good at day0 detections by searching on these forums a bit, for sure. I have a discussion about it every week... :oops:

Later this evening or tomorrow I may update this post with more ideas. Hopefully I helped ;)

D

Deleted member 21043

Thread author
Buy SSD Hard drive thats all
While a SSD (for anyone who doesn't know what it stands for, it stands for Solid State Drive) can be good due to it's speed, but there are also negatives to using one.

Positives:
  • A SSD has no moving parts.
  • Wires move at speed of electricity.
  • Increases PC lifespan due to the reduce of heat use and electrical usage.
  • Less noise.
  • Temperature fluctuations, high movements and vibrations do not affect the SSD. Even if it did, no moving parts are there to damage/break.
Negatives:
  • Prices of a SSD are a lot more than a HDD.
  • Vulnerable to power loss.
  • Batteries can reduce the capacity/lower the battery, as in less time to use your PC when unplugged. This is because many SSDs still use more power than the HDD, like when it's idle it is still using power.
  • Disk Defragmentation, even done unintentially can write unncessary files to the disk.

Overall: A SSD will win when it comes to the price, noise and form factor (no moving parts), but a HDD will win when it comes to the price and availability.

Thanks! :)

nissimezra

Level 25
Verified
Apr 3, 2014
b
Increase windows 7 performance:

1. Upgrade to a faster multicore processor.
2. Install more RAM.
3. Upgrade motherboard and BIOS
4. Buy a new high performance system.

(If that don't work maybe you need to visit MyCleanPC, CleanUpMyPc, FinallyFast, DoubleMySpeed, MaxMySpeed, etc. I'm sure they can scam you into paying more money than what your system is worth.) Just joking.:p

Enjoy!!:D
buy new pc its easier

Reactions: phyniks
D

Deleted member 21043

Thread author
b

buy new pc its easier
I agree, buying a new PC/laptop is generally easier however I do think that upgrading RAM takes little-to-no effort. On my notebook where I have 6gb DDR3 RAM, theres a panel on the back I can unscrew and slip out and back in RAM. It supports 8GB RAM.

As for the processor, I think you should just leave that alone. You buy a PC with the specs, unless your upgrading RAM or fixing a problem, I think as far as upgrading processors go, it's a bad idea. If you want the latest i5 or i7 processor, you should just buy a laptop/notebook/PC with it. However, when it comes to RAM I totally agree with upgrading. You should be fine with a Intel i3 1.8ghz dual core processor, anyway. I can do gaming on it, just fine, so average PC usage and programming, photoshop/design software etc should be perfect with it.

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
Disable UAC? Well these are some of the things that would make me thing twice when reading any of his articles again. That's Simple Security Basics, if you don't know that, I guess there's not much to learn from him.

wjszlv.jpg

If you don't and don't know what your doing, your likely to mess up your registry. I have had lots of practise with it :D Don't laugh, I know Malware Hunters who made the mistake I did too... :D :p

Include me in the list

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.