Serious Discussion Windows 11 24H1 and 24H2 Info

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
A new version of Windows is coming, and there’s a high chance it will be called “Windows 11 2024 Update”, not Windows 12. While the branding decision rests with Microsoft’s marketing team, HP has published new documents referencing “Windows 11 2024 Update” and “24H2”, contributing to the rumour mill.

There are several references to the Windows 11 2024 Update in HP’s specs sheet for its new Spectre lineup. The references seemingly confirm the existence of Windows 11’s next big update, which is said to bring support for Windows Copilot 2.0 and Wi-Fi 7.

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
Microsoft is already preparing the next big update for Windows 11 for the end of 2024 codenamed “Hudson Valley”. In a new support document, Microsoft has confirmed “Windows 11 24H2” is real and coming later this year. The documentation talks about the EnumDeviceDrivers function, a component used by developers and systems administrators to work with drivers. Microsoft’s website sheds light on the history of this function, It states that Windows 11 24H2 changes how to get specific information from the EnumDeviceDrivers function.

While this document is geared towards developers, the accidental mention of Windows 11 24H2 is an exciting hint at the next big Windows release. According to other internal documents seen by Windows Latest, Microsoft is planning a broader rollout of Windows 11 24H2 in late Q3 or early Q4. This confirms previous rumours that Windows 11’s most significant AI upgrade looks to be getting ready for release later in September-October, with preview builds being internally tested.

It’s possible Microsoft may have decided against “Windows 12” branding after recent organization shake-ups, and Windows 11 24H2 is indeed the next big release. This means Windows 12 may not be coming in 2024, and Microsoft will retain Windows 11 branding for now. PC makers like HP are also using “Windows 11 2024 Update” when referencing the next big Windows release.

Captain Holly

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 23, 2021
Why ? No clear info available at the moment, i always install the updates because curious and i want to see how it is performing.
Because I am not interested at all in AI. I don't want to use it and don't want any robots on my computer. I don't mean to preach but I am dead set against AI and every article I have read about Windows 12 or whatever update says it will be more involved with AI. I don't want it.

C.H.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Because I am not interested at all in AI. I don't want to use it and don't want any robots on my computer. I don't mean to preach but I am dead set against AI and every article I have read about Windows 12 or whatever update says it will be more involved with AI. I don't want it.

C.H.
Move to Europe and opt-out.

macOS has no current AI-integration.
Desktop-alternative: iPadOS is neglected by Apple.
Android will have AI.
Linux is Linux.

Wear a tinfoil hat to continue reading:
There are no strict privacy laws in the US like the EU. American companies are dead set on harvesting, spying and selling user data. NSA recently bought browser history because all US citizens are considered a threat.

Jengo

Level 6
Well-known
Nov 9, 2022

C.H.
Sometimes you got to extend your horizon, AI sofar here in Europe is not bad, i use CHATGPT alot, and i love the images created by AI, simply amazing.
My current PocoX6 Pro has the DImension 8300 processor with AI, and its brilliant.

Captain Holly

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 23, 2021
I think Linux being what it is would allow you to turn off and even delete the AI tools. I don't believe Linux would force people to use AI.

C.H.

Reactions: Jonny Quest

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Microsoft is gearing up to ship the next Windows 11 feature drop later this month, also known as "Moment 5" or the "February 2024 Moment" for Windows 11. This feature drop will be much smaller in scope compared to previous moment updates, with the primary focus being on delivering necessary changes to the OS to make it compliant with the Digital Markets Act (DMA.)

With that said, there are a number of quality-of-life improvements coming with the Moment 5 update, which we expect will begin rolling out as a preview update in late February or early March 2024. Microsoft is working on upgrades to some of Windows 11's built-in accessibility features, improvements to the Windows 365 cloud PC integration, and the ability to remove news from the Widgets Board, and Bing from the Windows Search pane.

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Windows 11 version 24H2 is now official. Although complete changelogs and exact dates are still a mystery, Microsoft has said that its operating system will receive a big annual feature update later this year under the "version 24H2" moniker, confirming the recently spotted reference to version 24H2 in the official documentation.

The company published the announcement in the release notes for Windows 11 build 26052, which was pushed out in the Dev and Canary Channels on January 8, 2024. From now on, builds 26XXX are labeled as version 24H2 in the Settings app and winver. If you are already on 26052, press Win + R and type winver to see it yourself.

NormanF

Level 8
Verified
Jan 11, 2018
The new 24H2 will only run on PCs that have POPCNT enabled. That means SSE4.2 for Intel PCs and SSE4.A for AMD PCs.

In general, with few exceptions, all PCs made after 2010 meet the new hard floor cut off.

Windows 23H2 is the end of line for really old hardware without the above instruction set.

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
Windows 11 24H2 could hit the RTM (Release to Manufacturers) status in a couple of weeks. This means Microsoft will begin offering the update to PC makers, allowing OEMs like Samsung, Lenovo or HP to test the Windows 11 24H2 base build on their upcoming and existing PCs.

If you’ve subscribed to the Windows Insider Program, you might have noticed that recent Canary or Dev builds mostly have bug fixes as the update is in the final stage of development.

Unlike Windows 11 23H2, which is based on version 22H2 (codename Nickel), Windows 11 version 24H2 is a new platform release codenamed Germanium. What’s also particularly interesting is that Windows 11 24H2 features will be rolled out in two phases, with the first “base” update shipping with new Snapdragon X Elite PCs in June.

Then, in September or October, Microsoft will begin rolling out Windows 11 version 24H2 to all existing PCs. At the same time, it will release another feature update (possibly a Windows Moment update) to turn on the new AI features on Snapdragon X Elite and other supported PCs.

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
Windows 11 2024 Update (24H2) is currently available to Windows Insiders only, and it is being prepared for Snapdragon X Elite PCs, which are set to arrive in mid-2024. Ahead of the mid-2024 launch, some users noticed on the MDL forum that Microsoft is testing version 24H2 on WSUS.

After a Windows Server Update Services (WSUS) query, the code snippet result revealed that Microsoft could soon finalize the version 24H2 update release candidate. For those unaware, WSUS is a tool that admins use to manage updates on all connected Windows PCs.

As shown in the above screenshot, the code snippet reveals that the update is meant for Windows 11, Windows 11 Client S (PCs in S mode), and Windows Server. Microsoft has internally created a “version 24H2” category on WSUS, which suggests the final candidate is near.

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Alleged Windows 11 24H2 RTM is almost upon us, final release schedule out too
A new report from Windows Central claims this is the case. The report also adds that the Windows 11 24H2 will hit RTM (release to manufacturing) this month (April 2024) and that the first AI PCs, built on Arm, will be unveiled a couple of months later in June. It is unsurprising considering Microsoft recently published Windows Hardware Lab Kit (HLK) Insider Previews for system requirements compatibility testing.

The report also talks about an event next month where it shows off new AI features version 24H2 will be loaded with. For example, there is apparently a new "AI File Explorer" in the works. It is unclear if this will be at the Build 2024 conference or something separate.

The full release time frame for Windows 11 24H2 is given below:
  • April 2024: Windows 11 version 24H2 reaches RTM milestone.
  • May 2024: Microsoft holds Windows event to unveil new AI experiences.
  • June 2024: The first Arm-PCs with version 24H2 preloaded start shipping.
  • July 2024: Microsoft finalizes feature set for Windows 11 version 24H2.
  • August 2024: Microsoft signs-off on day-one feature patch for version 24H2.
  • September 2024: Windows 11 version 24H2 + new AI features releases to everyone.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.