Intel’s unreleased Core i9-12900K processor goes on sale early

The_King

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 2, 2020
Intel hasn’t even officially announced its new Core i9-12900K processor, but it’s already been sold by a retailer. The unreleased CPU is expected to be the flagship for Intel’s new line of Alder Lake processors, offering a chance to reclaim the performance crown from AMD.

A Reddit poster, spotted by Techspot, managed to purchase two Core i9-12900K processors in retail packaging from an unnamed retailer for $610 per CPU. A similar mix-up happened earlier this year, when retailers started selling Intel’s Rocket Lake CPUs nearly a month before their launch.
The Reddit poster has published a number of photos of the unreleased Core i9-12900K processor in its retail packaging, which matches leaks from earlier this month. The box includes a wafer ornament, but it doesn’t detail the processor frequency or even its core count. As Z690 motherboards aren’t yet available, the processor is useless without them, so the Reddit poster can’t post benchmarks or any information about the Core i9-12900K.

We’re still waiting on Intel to officially detail its flagship processor, and the motherboards that will support it. A number of Asus Z690 motherboards leaked earlier today, but without specs or feature lists.

Intel is rumored to be launching its Alder Lake desktop CPUs, with the flagship Core i9-12900K, later this month. Alder Lake will feature Intel’s latest hybrid architecture: a mix of both performance and efficiency x86 cores. Alder Lake will also include support for DDR5, PCIe Gen 5, Thunderbolt 4, and Wi-Fi 6E.

The_King

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 2, 2020
Seems that there are 12900K reviews on YouTube, but could be fake has Retail LGA 1700 board are not available.

Edit:
Removed YouTube video link. Looks likes its Fake.

Last edited:

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018

"US computer component and electronics store Micro Center appears to have gotten ahead of things and listed the upcoming Intel Core i7-12700K and Core i9-12900K pricing on its website almost two weeks ahead of the official sale start. This should be MSRP pricing and if it's good or bad is a question of how you look at it, since both chips are significantly more expensive than their 11-series counterparts and much higher than the MSRP for those parts.

Intel's Core i7-11700K launched at US$399 and the new Core i7-12700K will beat that by $70, as it should launch at US$469.99, which seems like a large chunk of money to pay for the extra efficiency cores. The Core i9-11900K launched with a US$539 price point and the Core i9-12900K brings that up by US$130 to US$669.99. These prices are obviously not confirmed as yet, but Micro Center tends to be one of the cheapest places in the US to get CPUs, so we doubt there's any price gouging going on here."

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Dear Santa:

Please send me an I9 12900K with ASUS Z690 motherboard and 32 GB of DDR5 memory. I will never ask you for anything ever again, I promise.

Thank you.

plat
h-mtning2.jpg

LASER_oneXM

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016

iBuyPower, Velocity Micro, and Dell have announced new updated pre-built gaming PCs that are packing Intel's new 12th Gen Core CPUs based on the new Alder Lake hybrid architecture.

Velocity Micro has announced its first pre-built PC to come with Alder Lake CPUs will be its Raptor Z55 gaming desktop. This configuration is the company's cheapest full-ATX gaming PC that can come in either a full tower or a tempered glass mid-tower case. The Alder Lake version of the Z55 will start at $2,099.

The Z55 will come with a Z690 motherboard, and potentially up to a Core i9-12900K 16 core CPU. The current Raptor Z55 can be configured with Core i5, i7, and i9 models of Rocket Lake and Comet Lake, so we expect the same will happen with Alder Lake.

Reactions: Nevi and The_King

The_King

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 2, 2020

Intel claims the Core i9 12900K is the 'world's best gaming processor' but has to retest Ryzen​

It's not all said and done yet, as Intel needs to retest AMD's Ryzen 9 5950X on Windows 11.
Intel claims its upcoming Alder Lake processor, the Core i9 12900K, has what it takes to claim the "world's best gaming processor" title. It's even provided graphs to prove it. Though, these do come with one big caveat today: Intel hasn't yet tested AMD's Ryzen 9 5950X on Windows 11 post-performance patch.

The chip in question is the best of the 12th Gen lot, the Core i9 12900K. This lays claim to eight Performance Cores and eight Efficient Cores, which totals 24 threads once HyperThreading is factored in (those E-cores don't offer up HyperThreading). It's also capable of reaching a maximum Turbo clock of 5.2GHz.

That's going up against AMD's excellent Ryzen 9 5950X, which is a 16-core, 32-thread processor built on the Zen 3 architecture.
And Intel says it has the lead when it comes to gaming, and has shared with us a handful of 1080p gaming benchmarks to prove it, which you can check out below. That said, it's important as ever not to rely too heavily on benchmark disclosures such as this, which come ahead of independent testing.

"We can't obviously create the 'world's best gaming processor' without talking about competition," Marcus Kennedy, GM at Intel says, "and so we believe that we can make this claim because our 12th Generation Intel Core i9 12900K scored better than our competitors in the majority of those 31 game titles that we tested."

The biggest caveat to these performance figures is that Intel has not tested the AMD Ryzen 9 5950X system on Windows 11 with a recent patch, which caused most AMD CPUs to "exhibit reduced performance in certain applications when running Windows 11." A pretty big deal, then.

TLDR
Intel used an unpatched Windows 11 Pro OS for its benchmarks in their performance slides to shows how much faster their
new Alder lake CPUS are when compared to AMD Ryzen CPUS.

I'm not surprised to be honest. I would be disappointed if they didn't do something like this. Old habits die hard. :LOL:

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014

Intel claims the Core i9 12900K is the 'world's best gaming processor' but has to retest Ryzen​

TLDR
Intel used an unpatched Windows 11 Pro OS for its benchmarks in their performance slides to shows how much faster their
new Alder lake CPUS are when compared to AMD Ryzen CPUS.

I'm not surprised to be honest. I would be disappointed if they didn't do something like this. Old habits die hard. :LOL:

Yeah, I was expecting that, if it was the Microsoft from the past I could imagine that the Zen penalty performance bug was actually a "feature" sponsored by Intel 🤐

LASER_oneXM

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016

Reactions: Nevi and The_King

The_King

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 2, 2020
Intel hardly lives in fear of AMD. The Intel market strategy is effective. Nobody in their right mind wants AMD to put Intel out of business. It would be both stupid and harmful to the world markets.
Strange comment to make. Has nobody in this thread suggested anything about AMD putting Intel out of business.

The truth is that AMD has not been much of a threat to Intel for years even with the launch of ZEN.
Intel however has a long rap sheet of years of antitrust violation against AMD and many of them they have be found guilty and fined.
AMD was basically going out of Business has a result of this until Dr. Lisa Su change things at AMD. So it was actually Intel that tried to put AMD out of
business for years by using their influence with partners that they shared with AMD. (Partners like M$ included.)

Before AMD came out with ZEN+ and ZEN3 Intel was stuck on 14nm node just rehashing and rebranding the same junk over and over.
Consumers had no choice but to buy these CPUS at Intel's high prices until AMD came along with a CPU that cost less and offered excellent
multi threaded performance and efficiency.

You and I has consumers today have AMD to thank for its healthy and fair competition against Intel that we have such powerful CPUs available for
desktop, mobile and server markets. If AMD goes out of business that would indeed be very stupid and harmful, try telling that to Intel. :LOL:

Also thanks to AMD for giving Intel a kick in the pants and actually innovating new technology,
If not for AMD, Alder Lake would most likely not even exist today.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.