Advice Request Intel Rapid Storage Technology?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I got a new store-built desktop with an ASUS motherboard.
The ASUS driver assistant offered me various driver updates and utilities. Among them was Intel Rapid Storage Technology. On advice from a supposed hardware expert, I installed the latter, which promptly resulted in a bricked system. Total boot failure, can't even get to Windows safe boot.

After a Macrium Reflect restore and a little research, it turned out that the retarded ASUS driver assistant was pulling an old version of IRST with a known issue. I searched around for the most recent version of it, and it works without issue.

But the real question is: do I need it, or is it dead weight? I don't do RAID, but I was told that it is still good to have it on the system, even if no RAID.

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
You don't need Intel Rapid Storage Technology if you are not doing RAID setup. The driver come with Intel Rapid Storage Technology AHCI is a must install if you don't want to use Windows generic AHCI driver, but Intel Rapid Storage Technology you don't need it.

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
I have the drivers but not the software installed. The system runs fine. This is how Windows was cleanly installed and I leave it be.

iastor.PNG

Also, I found a thread asking whether this was bloatware. You can decide.

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
@SumTingWong
@plat1098
How to get the drivers without the bloatware, and why do I want these drivers? Are they installed by Windows, by default?

The driver come with Intel Rapid Storage Technology or Windows Update, If I can remember from my old dead Intel haswell gaming system. Windows generic AHCI driver is not bad but not good either. You definitely want manufacturer drivers for best performance and everything.

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
You don't need Intel Rapid Storage Technology if you are not doing RAID setup. The driver come with Intel Rapid Storage Technology AHCI is a must install if you don't want to use Windows generic AHCI driver, but Intel Rapid Storage Technology you don't need it.
You need it even for RAID0/5/6 or even for Super RAID 4/5/6(MSI). RAID0/1 is more than sufficient for consumer/prosumer usage.
@SumTingWong
@plat1098
How to get the drivers without the bloatware, and why do I want these drivers? Are they installed by Windows, by default?
You can find it here Win-raid optimal RAID/AHCI for intel
Just downgraded from 16.8.x IRST on skylake to 15.9.x as per Win-raid RST(e) driver.

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
The driver come with Intel Rapid Storage Technology or Windows Update, If I can remember from my old dead Intel haswell gaming system. Windows generic AHCI driver is not bad but not good either. You definitely want manufacturer drivers for best performance and everything.
Yeah, I checked and I have those drivers you put in the spoiler above. Thanks!

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
You need it even for RAID0/5/6 or even for Super RAID 4/5/6(MSI). RAID0/1 is more than sufficient for consumer/prosumer usage.

You can find it here Win-raid optimal RAID/AHCI for intel
Just downgraded from 16.8.x IRST on skylake to 15.9.x as per Win-raid RST(e) driver.

That is what I said on #2 post. If you are not doing any RAID setup than you don't need it.

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
That is what I said on #2 post. If you are not doing any RAID setup than you don't need it.
Intel AHCI driver has better random R/W on HDD than standard MS drivers. Seq. R/W are unaffected on both SSD/HDD. I'm running a mix of SSD(SATA), HDD and couple of m.2 SATA/NVMe. So, it does help in consistent random R/W for SSD and HDD even on AHCI modes.

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
Intel AHCI driver has better random R/W on HDD than standard MS drivers. Seq. R/W are unaffected on both SSD/HDD. I'm running a mix of SSD(SATA), HDD and couple of m.2 SATA/NVMe. So, it does help in consistent random R/W for SSD and HDD even on AHCI modes.

You need Intel AHCI driver but not Intel Rapid Storage Technology. Microsoft AHCI driver is not bad but not good either. Rapid Storage Technology only need when you are doing RAID setup.

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
You need Intel AHCI driver but not Intel Rapid Storage Technology. Microsoft AHCI driver is not bad but not good either. Rapid Storage Technology only need when you are doing RAID setup.
Intel AHCI driver included in Chipset SW doesn't work anymore on Core i series based CPUs. So, IRST has both AHCI/RAID drivers.
Can you provide a screenshot of Intel AHCI driver you're using?

Reactions: Protomartyr

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Intel AHCI driver included in Chipset SW doesn't work anymore on Core i series based CPUs. So, IRST has both AHCI/RAID drivers.
Can you provide a screenshot of Intel AHCI driver you're using?
I ran the Intel Driver & Support assistant, and it recommended the latest version of Intel Rapid Storage Technology (the version with GUI), so I installed it.

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
I ran the Intel Driver & Support assistant, and it recommended the latest version of Intel Rapid Storage Technology (the version with GUI), so I installed it.
Since you're on latest chips from Intel then its recommended to install latest Full suite or Win-raid full suite of IRST GUI and drivers.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.