Advice Request INTEL Z970 or AMD X670E Motherboard - Your Pick?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
IMO, the below two(2) Mo represent the best for now. Picking one (and with its CPU/GPU) will determine the path you want to build the PC with. Not all features are compared.

A) INTEL - MSI MEG Z790 Godlike (E-ATX Mo)
B) AMD - ASUS ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme (E-ATX Mo)

A) INTEL - MSI MEG Z790 Godlike (E-ATX Mo)

PROS
1) 26+2 Power Stages
2) Mo supports 7800+ OC. Higher RAM MT/s. Current max is 8000 MT/s
3) Has 2x USB-C(DP Alt Mode/TB4.0) ports
4) Has 2x miniDP input ports. Supports 8K. Allows connection of dGPU’s DP to miniDP and bypass out using TB4 of Mo
5) Has 2x PCIe 5.0 lanes only
6) Has 2.5Gb/10Gb LAN ports
7) Can expand the PCIe 5.0 M.2 sockets to three(3) by using the MSI Xpander-Z Dual PCIe 5.0 M.2 AIC card

CONS
1) US$1200
2) Has 1x PCIe 5.0 M.2 socket
3) If MSI Xpander-Z Dual PCIe 5.0 M.2 AIC card is used on the PCIe 5.0 lane with the GPU card then no other AIC (Add-In-Card) would be possible

B) AMD - ASUS ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme (E-ATX Mo)

PROS
1) US$1000
2) Has 2x PCIe 5.0 lanes + 1x PCIe 4.0 lane
3) Can add a PCIE 4.0 AIC card into the PCIe 4.0 lane
4) Has 2x PCIe 5.0 M.2 sockets
5) Bundled with PCIe 5.0 M.2 AIC card (supports 1x PCIe 5.0 M.2 socket) and ROG GEN-Z.2 rise card (supports 1x PCIe 5.0 M.2 socket and 1x PCIe 4.0 M.2 socket). Both can expand for a total of 2x PCIe 5.0 M.2 and 1x PCIe 4.0 M2 sockets thus giving total 4x PCIe 5.0 M.2 + 1x PCIe 4.0 M.2 sockets
6) Has 2xUSB4-C(DP Alt Mode/TB4) for 8K@60fps
7) Has 2.5Gb/10Gb LAN ports
8) Easy release of GPU and RAM using its Q-Release button and Q-DIMM latch
9) Better expansion support

CONS
1) 20+2 Power Stages
2) Mo supports 6400+ OC. Lower RAM MT/s. Current max support is up to 7000 MT/s
3) No input HDMI/DP port
4) If use both PCIe 5.0 M.2 AIC card and ROG GEN-Z.2 riser card on the 2x PCIe 5.0 lanes then no GPU card can be installed

Considering that the AMD’s GPU card supports HDMI 2.1 and DP 2.1 ports this makes the setting up of a PC with the AMD approach to give a slight future-proof advantage. The AMD CPU/GPU is cooler to run and the AM5 socket supports till year 2025. Unfortunately, it’ll be lower in gaming and PC performance.

Contrary, Intel CPU and GPU tend to be more powerful and hot. However, it’s EOL for the current CPU socket LGA 1700 architecture. New LGA 2551 socket will support for the 14th Gen CPU onwards. GPU only supports HDMI 2.1/DP 1.4a

Which would you build your PC with?

Last edited:

RansomwareRemediation

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Jun 22, 2020
for me:
Intel have better IPC at the moment, better performance in gaming, low price, better IHS, and more cores.
The problem in Intel, longevity the socket and only have 8 cores performances + e cores. (E cores no have HT)
Greetings.
Amd have more longevity but problems in bios update and 16 cores performance.

Last edited:

The_King

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 2, 2020
With the recent announcement of ZEN 4 X3D CPUS not that far away.
Gaming performance will switch back to AMD. IPC wont be that important has the 3D-V cache makes that irrelevant when gaming.

While ZEN 3 is mature, ZEN 4 still has some BIOS issues but things are getting better every month.

Happy with my current ZEN 3 setup, but will still go with AMD once they sort they BIOS issues out, Intel still restrict their hardware unless you pay for K series CPUs.

Here are some useful charts for Compute VS Gaming performance.
AMD VS INTEL Gaming.jpg

AMD VS INTEL Compute.jpg

Last edited:

RansomwareRemediation

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Jun 22, 2020
With the recent announcement of ZEN 4 X3D CPUS not that far away.
Gaming performance will switch back to AMD. IPC wont be that important has the 3D-V cache makes that irrelevant when gaming.

While ZEN 3 is mature, ZEN 4 still has some BIOS issues but things are getting better every month.

Happy with my current ZEN 3 setup, but will still go with AMD once they sort they BIOS issues out, Intel still restrict their hardware unless you pay for K series CPUs.

Here are some useful charts for Compute VS Gaming performance.
View attachment 271101

View attachment 271102
That's why I said so far. When the renderers with 3D cache come out, Meteor Lake will be ready. Remember that Raptor lake is a simple rehash of Alder lake and it is causing a lot of problems for AMD. Meteor lake comes with Intel Foveros (3d transistor stacking) and is true Intel architecture. In my personal case, if I could wait I would, because I don't like AMD's badly done IHS and I don't like Intel's rehash either, therefore I would wait for Meteor Lake, which is very soon to come (2023).
Greetings

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I'm not sure whether NVIDIA will have DP 2.1 in its RX4090Ti? For sure, DP2.1 will be in the next RTX5xxx series. If yes, then this will negate AMD's lead in future proofing advantage

So, can say that by this quarter 2022 and next quarter 2023 we should see the followings

1) AMD Ryzen 7000X3D Zen 4 CPU
2) PCIe 5.0 M.2 SSDs
3) AMD GPU

INTEL Meteor Lake will be released in 2023 but no fixed date yet

Another piece of news

Will it outperform the AMD Ryzen 7000X3D Zen 4 CPU then?

Last edited:

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016
$1200 for a mobo lol? For that price it can probably run/build cruise missiles. Also, as others have mentioned you have too much money.

Will it outperform the AMD Ryzen 7000X3D Zen 4 CPU then?

Doubt it. AMD will probably roll out 128MB or more of cache on the X3D CPU's and that will beat Intel.

Thing is there is always something better around the corner, so buy the best now and be done. HOWEVER right now I would hold off because of this

1) AMD Ryzen 7000X3D Zen 4 CPU
2) PCIe5.0 M.2 SSDs
3) AMD GPU

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Doubt it. AMD will probably roll out 128MB or more of cache on the X3D CPU's and that will beat Intel.

Latest is INTEL is releasing the i9-13900KS Raptor Lake CPU which can boost its frequency to 6GHz OOB without OC. The world's first 6GHz CPU. It can OC beyond 8GHz

Last edited:

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016
Yeah, but that has to be some special kind of water-cooled setup or something very niche to OC that CPU at 8Ghz. Something even you will not have with your budget.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: HarborFront

RansomwareRemediation

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Jun 22, 2020
$1200 for a mobo lol? For that price it can probably run/build cruise missiles. Also, as others have mentioned you have too much money.

Thing is there is always something better around the corner, so buy the best now and be done. HOWEVER right now I would hold off because of this
Intel foveros > AMD 3D cache
Greetings

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
Both the INTEL - MSI MEG Z790 Godlike and AMD - ASUS ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme motherboards have their own set of pros and cons. It ultimately depends on your needs and preferences for your PC build.

If you prioritize having more power and higher RAM MT/s, as well as expandability options, the INTEL - MSI MEG Z790 Godlike may be the better choice. However, keep in mind its high price tag and limitations with the use of AIC cards.

On the other hand, if you want a more future-proof setup with support for HDMI 2.1 and DP 2.1 ports, as well as better expansion options and bundled accessories, the AMD - ASUS ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme may be more suitable for you. It may have lower RAM MT/s and be slightly slower in gaming and PC performance, but it has a more efficient CPU/GPU and support until 2025.

Ultimately, it's important to carefully consider your needs and do further research before making a decision on which motherboard and CPU/GPU to go with.

Reactions: Jack

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.