Interesting Testing Done with Online Scanners

donetao

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Hi! I found this very interesting. I'm always looking for software to help my senior citizens. Sense I can't always have TwinHeadedEagal and Argus help me, I try to find software that I can use on seniors with infected computers. I found this very interesting and I don't think the tests are biased in any way. Just the facts. See what you think of this link and add your favorite on line scanner and why you think yours is better;)
Thanks for your replies!!
http://www.7tutorials.com/test-comparison-what-best-free-online-antivirus-scanner

Last edited:

donetao

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
My favorite is ESET on line scanner. I didn't see Emsisoft Emergency Kit mentioned. I like EKK a lot also.
Microsoft Safety Scanner was mentioned in the comments below the tests results ,but not tested.
I have used Microsoft Safety Scanner a lot. Thanks for your reply @frogboy . I hope it helps someone
http://www.microsoft.com/security/scanner/en-hk/default.aspx
PS I'm sure there are a lot more on line scanners. Please add yours to the list!

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

kiric96

Level 19
Verified
Well-known
Jul 10, 2014
although this info is very old it may help... but be adviced that the products mentioned above have developed more powerfull online scanners :D as comodo cleaning essential, mcafee stinger...

Reactions: Behold Eck

donetao

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
I ran the Microsoft Safety Scanner. I ran the quick scan (About10 minutes) . It didn't find any thing. I know a lot of people have low respect for Microsoft and I have also said some bad things about it, but they should have a little clue about malware. It doesn't seem to scan for PUP's.
Malwarebytes now scans for PUP's. You can use Superantispyware also for tracking cookies ect!
I hope to be of some help here on MT. This is one way I try to contribute here on the forum! Although I have never had formal malware training, I know a little about malware;)
You can use JRT for removing tool bars. These are all tools I use here at Golden Oaks to help seniors keep their PC's running!;)
http://thisisudax.org/

although this info is very old it may help... but be adviced that the products mentioned above have developed more powerfull online scanners :D as comodo cleaning essential, mcafee stinger...
Hi Not sure what is meant by info is very old. The scanners I mentioned up date before they start scanning.

Attachments

• Capture48.JPG
    Capture48.JPG
    50.1 KB · Views: 322
Last edited by a moderator:

darko999

Level 17
Verified
Well-known
Oct 2, 2014
Hi Not sure what is meant by info is very old. The scanners I mentioned up date before they start scanning.
He meant additionally some companies like Comodo and Mcafee have developed additional cleaning tools, as the ones he mentioned "Mcafee stinger and Comodo cleaning essentials. I does not mean the tools shared in your link are outdated.

donetao

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
He mean't additionally some companies like Comodo and Mcafee have developed additional cleaning tools, as the one he mentioned "Mcafee stinger and Comodo cleaning essentials. I does not mean the tools shared in your link are outdated.
OK Thanks @darko999 I'm talking about on line scanners, not anti-virus programs. These are tools you can use with your anti-virus programs and are not replacements for your anti-virus.

darko999

Level 17
Verified
Well-known
Oct 2, 2014
OK Thanks @darko999 I'm talking about on line scanners, not anti-virus programs. These are tools you can use with your anti-virus programs and are not replacements for your anti-virus.
These tools he mentioned are not antivirus, and they are not to replace your current AV, they are complementing security tools to use when needed. Macfee stinger is similar to EEK.

Last edited:

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Nice article provided, I will really pick those online scanners like ESET which has ability to remove/ disinfect threats than only scanning feature and ask to download the AV itself.

kiric96

Level 19
Verified
Well-known
Jul 10, 2014
These tools he mentioned are not antivirus, and they are not to replace your current AV, they are complementing security tools to use when needed. Macfee stinger is similar to EEK.
thanks @darko999 and of course you are right, the link of the article is from 2012 of course is out of date... there are updated versions of those tools /tested in that article/ that has improved a lot and runs nice :D

darko999

Level 17
Verified
Well-known
Oct 2, 2014
thanks @darko999 and of course you are right, the link of the article is from 2012 of course is out of date... there are updated versions of those tools /tested in that article/ that has improved a lot and runs nice :D
Yes, the article is old but the links on it brings you to the actual updated version of these tools, that haven't changed much as I can see, no worries there.

donetao

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Hi Well I'm sure as Hell not fond of Stinger. Ran for 30 minutes locked up and had to abort. It
Capture48.JPG
put 5 icons on my desk top and I'm not a happy camper at this moment. Going to clean this mess up.
I'll be back latter:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

donetao

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Hi Unless someone has better advise, I'm fixing to restore to a earlier time. I'm not able to get rid of this crap McAfee has put on my PC.
I'm not even able to open the damn icons it put on my desk top! GRRRRRR:mad::mad:

Attachments

• Capture48.JPG
    Capture48.JPG
    55.5 KB · Views: 346

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
I have used stinger before and did not have this happen. And i really hate that windows can't open this file crap. Hope you get it sorted and thanks to Macrium i know you can.

R

rocky

I have never used the program , but it looks like it's a stand alone program unzipped on the desktop. I would just drag and drop all in a folder and just run from the icon the rest are just files the program needs to run. It is packed that way so it doesn't need to be installed. When you're done with it just delete the folder and it will all be gone. I think you will be okay.:)

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

darko999

Level 17
Verified
Well-known
Oct 2, 2014
These tools are useful on specifics situations, but I recommend you that most of the time, a full scan with MBAM and Herdprotect should remove primary major malware that may prevent you from deeper clean.

R

rocky

I just ran it in an empty folder and it created the same files . I just deleted the folder. I don't see any reason you would have to restore to a earlier time if you didn't want to.

Reactions: donetao

donetao

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Hi Thanks for all your suggestions. You can see from my attachments what happened when I used McAfee Stinger. I should have know better than get with in 100 feet of McAfee. I won't be recommending McAfee to my seniors, or using any of their software.
I tried restoring to a earlier time twice, but was not able. Gave me a bunch of reasons, but I was so damn mad, I don't even remember what it said.
If it weren't for Macrium Reflect, I would really be angry to night. Sense I'm not a complete newbie in the computer world, I'm just a little mad. I was able to restore my PC with a Macrium image ,and my PC if free of all McAfee's crap and running great.
Well it was a learning experience and I'm always wanting to learn, so no harm done. Thanks one more time Macrium Reflect.
Yes my Aussie @frogboy friend, I got it sorted out. Thanks to Macrium. I will cool off and chalk this up to a learning experience my friend!
Any soft ware that installs 6 icons on my desk top and files that won't open and can not be deleted is crap ware IMHO

Last edited:

donetao

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
I have never used the program , but it looks like it's a stand alone program unzipped on the desktop. I would just drag and drop all in a folder and just run from the icon the rest are just files the program needs to run. It is packed that way so it doesn't need to be installed. When you're done with it just delete the folder and it will all be gone. I think you will be okay.:)
You may be right @rocky but I don't want any part of this program at the moment. I have used at least 5 on line scanners in the past that don't do these sort of things. ESET even gives you the option to uninstall after the scan is finished. Now that's my kind of software and it's recommended on several help forums;)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.