Interesting Testing Done with Online Scanners

donetao

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Hi! The easiest way is to restore with a macrium image. I used Search Everything and found the files. Yes there are several.Usually you can delete the files in Search Everything. Not Stinger. That's why Stinger won't see My PC any time soon. Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyWare have file assassin software if you want to get really mean.It's a shame McAfee Has a program like Stinger. They really turned me off. There are plenty of good on line scanners that don't pull that crap. ESET gives you the option to uninstall the program after the scan is finished.
Microsoft Safety Scanner is quick and doesn't install on your PC. Plenty of good On line scanners, so good bye Stinger.

Reactions: Behold Eck

donetao

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Here's my conclusion! Installed and not installed programs. Malwarebytes wins hands down and is installed.
I like ESET on line scanner not really installed and easy to remove. I really like Microsoft Safety Scanner, which I haven't seen anyone testing it. It really depends what your trying to clean up. MBAM gets PUP's and malicious malware, which is what I really like. I like Malwarebytes Root Kit, I haven't seen testing done on that, but is the first program our Malware team recommend running on a infected PC. I like Adwclearner,very easy to run and uninstall. SuperAntiSpyware will find tracking cookies and spyware. I really like JRT for removing those darn tool bars that all freeware love installing. Hitman Pro seems like a good program, but they want $$ after 30 day trial period. Of course everyone loves CCleaner, been around for years and always up dating.EEK seems to be good, but not sure about what all it leaves behind. I know it installed on my C drive and I didn't care for that. I'm no stranger to malware and even though I haven't been formally trained, I do a fair job of getting rid of it on my seniors PC's. All the programs I use do different things that I like. MBAM is number one, but the others have some good points. It would be nice to just have one do it all. That ain't going to happen any time soon.
Happy New year and thanks to everyone that replied on my thread!

donetao

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
If you think your PC is infected and you have done everything to clean it up,but still having problems that look like your still infected, let TwinHeadedEagal and Argus clean it up for you. Then buy them a beer;)
Here are some clues that will tell you that your probably infected. I stole them from pcmag because I'm lazy:(
Computers are complicated enough that they don't always do precisely what we expect. Sometimes an unexpected behavior is just a fluke; other times, it's an outward and visible sign of an inward and terrible malware infestation. If you notice any of these security warning signs, your system may well be compromised.

1. Popup ads appear even when no browser is open. While not as common as they used to be, adware programs bombard their victims with advertisements. Sometimes they're ads for legitimate products, other times they contain links to malicious websites, sites that will attempt to drop more malware on your PC.

2. Browser navigation gets redirected. Not every site redirect is malicious, but if you find that trying to reach Google takes you to an unfamiliar search site, you've almost certainly got a problem. Sometimes the redirection is more subtle. For example, a banking Trojan might divert your browser to a fraudulent site that looks just like your bank's real site. In that case your only clue is the unfamiliar URL in the Address bar.

3. A security program you never installed pops up scary warnings. Creating and distributing fake antivirus programs is a lucrative business. The perpetrators use drive-by downloads or other sneaky techniques to get the fake antivirus onto your system, then display scary warnings about made-up threats. Naturally you have to register a payment before the fraudulent tool will "fix" the problem. And of course scanning for malware with the fake AV is super-fast, since it's not actually doing anything.

4. Posts you didn't write appear on your social media pages. Malware focused on Facebook and other social media sites propagates by generating fake posts. Typically these posts include an inflammatory statement of some kind, like "OMG were you really that drunk? Look at this picture!" Anyone who falls for the fake and clicks the link will become the next victim.

5. A program holds your PC for ransom. Some malware programs literally hold your PC or data for ransom. Overt ransomware threats may encrypt all your pictures and documents and demand that you pay to get them back. Others try to obscure what they're doing. For example, they may display a warning supposedly from the FBI stating that your computer was used to send spam and demanding that you pay a fine before you're allowed to use it again. Of course, even if you do pay, you may not get your system back.

6. Suddenly you can't use common system tools. A smart user, suspecting the presence of malware, might launch Task Manager to investigate, or check settings using Registry Editor. If you suddenly find that trying to use these or other system tools triggers a message saying your Administrator has disabled them, it may well be an attempt at self-defense by malware on your system.

7. Everything seems perfectly normal. That's right. Some types of malware do their best to hide all activity, leaving no visible traces. Even when you don't notice anything unusual, it's possible that a 'bot on your system may be quietly awaiting instruction from its command and control system, or a Remote Access Trojan may be harvesting your personal information.

If you think that malware has taken up residence in your PC, install a powerful antivirus utility or security suite immediately. Already got one? Then apparently the malware got past its protection. Make sure your antivirus is fully up to date, and run a full scan. Also get a second opinion from a free cleanup-only antivirus like Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 1.70 or Comodo Cleaning Essentials 6. You definitely want to get that nasty, malicious program out of your system as soon as possible, before it invites "friends" to make your security problem even worse.

Last edited:

Behold Eck

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 22, 2014
Hi donetao,

that system restore problem reminds me of my xp days when ever I needed to rely on system restore I could totally rely on it to be totally unreliable but only when I really really needed it to work:mad:.Regular back ups on Macrium is the way to go:cool:.

The free version of HMP does`nt cost a cent I use it to flag anything suspicious and bring in the usual suspects(MBAM,EEK,Herd Protect)if it does also HMP also gives a free removal one off which is a pretty decent deal imo.

I`ve bookmarked the link you provided as although I use Eset Online scanner it`s always good to have a couple of others just for friends/family computers mostly.

Just wondered if you have ever considered Sandboxie for browser protection ? It is also free.

Regards Eck:)

Reactions: donetao

donetao

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Just wondered if you have ever considered Sandboxie for browser protection ? It is also free.
Hi! I used a Sandboxie program a long time ago. To me it was a pain in the neck, but old people are hard to change our ways.
I have my Macrium to bail me out when I get in trouble.
Your right about restore points. They are easily corrupted and when you need them, they don't work.
Old Macrium has never let me down in 10 years that I have used it! I usally try a restore point first and some times they accomplish what I want.
Thanks for your reply @Behold Eck

Behold Eck

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 22, 2014
Hi! I used a Sandboxie program a long time ago. To me it was a pain in the neck, but old people are hard to change our ways.
I have my Macrium to bail me out when I get in trouble.
Your right about restore points. They are easily corrupted and when you need them, they don't work.
Old Macrium has never let me down in 10 years that I have used it! I usally try a restore point first and some times they accomplish what I want.
Thanks for your reply @Behold Eck

I only mentioned Sandboxie as I reckon it`s pretty bullet proof and will deal with any internet based threat which accounts for alot of malware type intrusions,Thing is when i first tried it I was a bit iffy about it but once I did my homework and set it to auto delete on closing and save bookmarks online that was it.

I actually set it up this way on my daughters(dictionary defined as computer viruses in themselves) computer removing all browser icons except the pizza slice for internet access and bingo not a problem since.

Had better luck with restore points on Win7 but then again like yourself sometimes it`s bring on the Macrium Relect system saver.

Regards Eck:)

Reactions: donetao

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.